Rate My Tanks!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Bry, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Bry

BryWell Known MemberMember

Added some fishies today and get about 40% water changes. Decided I wanted to share my tanks!
    Tank 1: 5 gallon with a Aquaclear 20 filter has a Crown tail Betta and a Tiger Nerite Snail. Don't worry, the alarm clock is only used for time.
    20180419_195143.jpg
    Tank 2: 20 gallon with a Tetra Whisper 40 filter. Holds a pair of baby German Ram Cichlids, 7 Neons and 1 baby horned nerite snail.
    20180419_195207.jpg
    Tank 3: 37 gallon with a Marineland Eclipse Hood filter, don't know what size. This tank was donated to me. Has a baby angelfish, the size of a quarter, 2 mollies, 1 sailfin molly, 2 platys and a baby mystery snail. I've had issues with algae in this one randomly coming up.
    20180419_195224.jpg
    Tank 4: 55 gallon with a Tetra Whisper 70 filter. Holds 1 Comet/Common (the forum said mixed breed), 4 calico fantails, 1 oranda, and an apple snail.
    20180419_195253.jpg
    My roommate's tank: 20 long with an Aquaclear 20 filter. 1 baby african dwarf frog, 1 baby horned nerite snail, 2 mollies and 2 platys.
    20180419_195325.jpg
    These are the tanks in my household! I'd love any comments or concerns. All of the tanks are planted and are 75-78 degrees, except the goldfish 55 which even without a heater stays about 70. I just love my tanks and thought I'd share!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  2. Katie13

Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

You have quite a few stocking issues. GBRs are temp compatible with Neons, Angels do better in slightly warmer water than mollies and platties, and your 55 is far overstocked.

3. OP
    OP
    Bry

The store I got the Neons and Rams at were keeping them at 78. I originally had 4 neons in my 5 with the Betta. But I have since got more and moved them to the 20 since I was told that's what they needed... How overstocked? I already know I'm going to have to rehome the Comet, as I was given bad information on their size.

4. Compatability

CompatabilityValued MemberMember

You have live plants in your tanks, you said you saw a mystery snail, I went through this, live plants bring in pest snails and my tank was loaded with them, i had to tear down the whole tank and start over. Just watch for these I'd hate to see you go through what I did. Good Luck ❣️

5. OP
    OP
    Bry

I haven't had any problems so far (fingers crossed) with pest snails. I just added the mystery snail today.

6. Zach B.

Zach B.Valued MemberMember

At full grown these fish do overstock this tank and you would have to do 100% water changes every week to keep up on the 55 but until nitrates get out of hand, all you will need to do is make a plan to move these fish to a bigger tank or a pond. If you can maintain ~30ppm nitrates you are fine but if/when things get to be too much anything short of an automated water change system on this tank and the tank will become unmanageable.

7. OP
    OP
    Bry

I do 40-50% water changes weekly and I've never had Nitrates over 30. I already have plans to move Rocket (the comet goldfish) into a friend's pond when he gets a bit bigger. Other than that I have zero plans to move my fantails or oranda.

8. Zach B.

Zach B.Valued MemberMember

You can keep them this way for a while but you will still need to come up with a backup plan if things get out of control.

9. OP
    OP
    Bry

If things get out of hand I could always move one or two into my 37 TEMPORARILY, as I set up another tank. But I've has this set up since August and everything is good so far. I do plan to upgrade the filter to a 100 gallon within the next month.

10. phantom

phantomValued MemberMember

lol that's a lot of tanks overall id rate them 8-9 out of ten as an average/whole :) on design

11. OP
    OP
    Bry

Thanks! :D I'm still a noob when it comes to live plants so I'm still figuring that out. The first four are mine and the last, with the orange gravel, is my roommate's. She got the aqua bug looking at mine.

12. phantom

phantomValued MemberMember

what live plants do you use?

13. Abby565

Abby565Valued MemberMember

Nice tanks!

14. OP
    OP
    Bry

I wish I could tell you lol. Truth is the only one I know of is Anachris Eloea or Elodea. I can never remember how it's spelled. If you see any in the pictures you like, I can take another picture for you of that plant.
    Thanks! :3

15. watermelon46

watermelon46Valued MemberMember

I Like the 2:20 gallon tank with the two baby rams, 7 neons, and horned nerite snail. I also like your roommate's tank. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice