Rate My First New Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TomTheFishNoob, Jun 28, 2016.

1. TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

From a scale of 1-10 what will you guys rate it?

1x Dwarf Gourami
    3x Platies
    9x Neon Tetras
    1x Golden Mystery Snail
    6x Ghost Shrimps[​IMG]

2. Lchi87

Lchi87 Moderator Moderator Member

Honestly, it's a matter of preference and if it makes you happy and your fish are happy, then I'd say it's a 10 :D

BUT, if it were my tank, I'd add a bunch more live plants!

3. Ryanbyunn

Ryanbyunn New Member Member

It looks really pretty, but if I were you I would add some tall live durable plants at the rear of the tank.

4. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

What's the size? 20 high or long? Looks like a high to me.
    On my personal scale, it would be about a 3. That's mainly because I prefer driftwood, rock caves, and natural colored gravel over sunken ships and neon color substrate.

Ignoring personal tastes, it's a 5, due to that empty top. So I would also recommend some taller plants or decorations, as the top is very empty.

Also, on another seperate note, I would recommend returning the neon tetras, and replacing them with Cardinal tetras. Neon tetras are, despite what most stores say, a cold water fish preferring temps in the lower 70s upper 60s. Cardinal tetras are much more temperature compatible with the dg and the platies, and look almost identical.

5. Ryanbyunn

Ryanbyunn New Member Member

Savage ^ XD

6. A

Aichmalotizo Well Known Member Member

Was not at all my intent D:, I just happen to be a blunt person.

7. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I agree the top needs more space filled and if it were me there'd be some large driftwood and more plants. I should mention that I much prefer a natural look (Browns, yellows, lots of greens and stuff) and have a bit of tunnel vision for my tanks. I think there are probably some ideas for more colorful looking tank that'd look great with your blue gravel.

8. OP
    OP
    TomTheFishNoob

TomTheFishNoob Valued Member Member

What do you guys mean by top? Like something that floats on top?

9. Platylover

Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

It looks really nice, but I also happen to dislike most of the 'man made' decor, besides perhaps a heavily planted oriental tank. Personal taste wise I'd say 2-3ish non-personally taste I'd say 4-5. I think it would look better with PFS and a lot more live plants, also maybe put the ship in the center if you put more live plants in.

10. codyrex97

By top I mean the section where your heater is, all the area there seems a little barren. You may want tall plants/decor in the back reaching up high, and then shorter plants/decor in front of those like large driftwood and decent size plants, and then in the very front you have all the smallest plants/decor like little pieces of driftwood and small plants like anubias nana or moss balls or other small decorations in the very front. Here's how I have my 10 gallon.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the tallest plants like the Java Fern (right) and the Amazon sword (left) ate in the back. Some caves and small driftwood in the middle, with small piles of rocks as accents and a large driftwood as a centerpiece, which the fish enjoys swimming around and the shrimp enjoy climbing on. And all the smallest stuff like moss balls, very small driftwood, and leaf debris (Indian almond leaves) tend to be.

Just try and envision a home for your fish. A paradise. With lots of objects to swim around, lots of places to hide and explore, but also very appealing for you to look at. Envision where you want short and tall things and how you want things to look, then get your hand on the stuff you need and build it little by little. My tank up there took about a month of constant changing to get to that. Here's what it started out as.
    [​IMG]
    Just keep working on it and add things gradually.

I bet it'll look awesome!

I just noticed that is not my most up to date picture so here it is.
    [​IMG]
    Have a second filter in there gathering bacteria so it can be used in a future tank, and have tied some plants to the driftwood.

Remember with live plants, they may not look the same way as they do now within a month or beyond, because some grow wildly and others grow really slow, but they all grow and will make progress and thicken up eventually.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2016
  11. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I can only give it an 8 due to temperature incompatibilities. But it is very pretty

12. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you want me to be blunt or not? Here's my blunt answer. First 9 neon tetra's aren't good for a 10gal because they need room to swim around in and they are very active. If you have 3 platies plus 9 neon tetra's that is already over stocked. Next, 3 platies is to small for a 10gal. They get 3inch plus they poop more than other livebearers. They should be in a 20gal. Third, these fish aren't temp compatible like Dave75g said. Forth, there should be more plants because this looks very dull and the more live plants you have the more oxygen you have. Now please don't report this as mean or rude because I am just giving you an truthful answer. And my number will be 2 because you at least have a heater and filter.

13. codyrex97

OP's tank is 20 gallons. My tank that I showed is a 10 gallon. Sorry for any confusion!

14. Sarah73

Oh I thought it was a 10gal.

15. codyrex97

I edited my post. I agree about the temp compatibility and plants though!

16. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

OP's tank is a 20 gallon...
    Personally I would give it a 2, just due to lack of natural decorations and live plants.
    I give it a 6 without personal preference. Due to temperature incompatibilities and lack of decorations.
    I would replace gravel with either white or black sand, and the plants with some low light ones. Move the ship to the center leftish, tie some java moss to give it an abandoned look, vallisneria along the back wall, an Amazon sword in each corner, some crypts planted to look like bushes.
    Edit: Ninja'd

17. Sarah73

So then I would give it a 5. Temp compatibility is a real issue. Neon tetra's come from amazon if I remember correctly which means you need a lot of plants!

18. Dadio

Dadio Well Known Member Member

Won't repeat what's already been said in regards to stocking, so here's the just of it.

As a starter you've done pretty good, in fact almost all of us started the same way until the bug bit. The goal for me IMO is to create a natural environment for many reasons. Live plants add more visual impact plus create a more healthier environment. Inert objects, meaning plastic decor, plants or other simply becoming a magnet for garbage (poop, micro particles and other) adding to the maintenance required to keep it healthy.

So welcome to fishlore and enjoy the journey.

19. azbev

azbev Valued Member Member

It's tricky to ask for opinions on your tank. It's YOUR tank, and whatever decorations appeal to you are the ones you should have. Personally, I would add more decor - driftwood, rocks, caves. plastic & live plants. If you try live plants, which I would suggest, I've had good luck with annubias nana - easy, low light, growing like cray in my 20 gallon (no CO2, ferts or anything extra - and one is blooming!) As for the temperature, I was surprised to learn that Neon Tetras like such cool water. Mine have been in my tank for at least 10 months (with a DG and False Julii Corycats) and are thriving. Temp has been around 78 degrees the whole time. Go figure.

20. cborden

cborden New Member Member

I give it a 7. You need some more plants. Not a fan of those rocks but it's all about what makes you happy. Just my 2 cents.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice