Raspy's in trouble!!

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Oh no!

I noticed some white (looks like foam sort of) on the side of Raspy this morning just behind his right fin (on the side of his face).

I want to get him some medicine (if it's treatable) but I'm not sure which kind to get him.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Raise the temperature to 85 degrees slowly about a degree every 2 hours or so and leave it there for 14 days at least.  Sounds like you are starting an Ich outbreak.  This is the easiest and quickest way to eradicate it and does not require the need for medication most times.  The Melafix and Pimafix will not hurt but are not necessary if you start and keep up the raised temperature to get the parasites off of him and kill them in the heated water.  They will turn loose of him at this temperature and die due to no host to draw off of.  I got this remedy from Butterfly and it works. 

I am so sorry that he is ill, please keep us informed of his progress.  Ich is a cool water disease and strikes with a vengeance on Bettas.

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ich doesn't look like foam though, it looks like salt grains. If it looks like foam, I think its probably more likely a fungus. Thus my recommendation for Pimafix/Melafix.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it's ich because his water is always above 84 degrees just because of the temperature in the apartment.

is there a disease he could get from the warm temperature? It was 105 degrees outside today ....

I'm going to go out tomorrow and get some Pimafix and Melafix for him. I sure hope that takes care of it.

Thanks.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ich looks like small round grains of salt have been sprinkled on it. If it doesn't look like that, its something other than ich. They can still get ich with higher temps, the lifecycle of the ich parasite is just sped up with higher temps.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it is a fungal infection it will probably look like little cotton tufts on him in some way. They may not be really fuzzy just a little foamy as you said. If that is the case then you may need something a little stronger than Melafix and Pimafix. Something more like Fungus Clear Tabs from Jungle Labs, they are a little faster acting and will not be so gentle to allow the fungus to continue to take ahold while they start to work.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Ok. Thank you. It does look a bit cottony on him. It doesn't seem to be hurting him, just a nuissance I'd imagine.

I think I'm going to go out to the store today and see what I can find.

Thanks so much for everyone's responses!!

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, Raspy has had his medicine. It turned the water blue/green ... I think that is supposed to happen??

I ended up getting the Fungus Clear by Jungle Labs ... I'm not sure how long it is supposed to take but hopefully this cures the problem!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes the water is supposed to turn the blue/green color and it is to stay in the tank for 4 days. Then you do a 25% water change and if he still has the problem you dose him again for 4 more days and then you do another 25% change and put the carbon back in the filter. You did take the carbon out of the filter, didn't you? The carbon will take the medicine out of the tank and so if the carbon is still in it needs to come out.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did take the carbon out of the filter. That part was on the back of the package so thank goodness I did that.

Raspy looked a little confused when his water started changing colors but I'm not sure if he notices anymore. Lilex keeps swimming over to the side where Raspy's tank is and staring like "What IS going on in there?!?!"

I'll keep an eye on Raspy for a few days then and see how he's doing. Is a second dose usually necessary, or does one dose do the trick?

Thanks so much for your help!!

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well, the first treatment time is finished but the growth is still there. I did the 25% water change and treated the water again.

Any suggestions if this second treatment doesn't take? Should I buy some Melafix and Pimafix and try that?

Thanks!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes the picture would help to see if the problem is actually what we have been treating it for.

The Melafix and Pimafix are possibly the mildest medications you can get.  So if the Tank Buddies do not work they will probably not improve the situation.  Is it improved at all?  It could be that it is just going to have to have the second round to do the job.  If this does not work at all though then the next step is the antibiotics.  Here are some options to see what might sound the most like what you are dealing with.  They will probably be available elsewhere but these are for examples to look for.

All of these treat Cotton Mouth Disease as well as a lot of other common fish problems.  They will not be able to be used on him over and over so I would get the smallest package you can as your tank is not large.  Usually they recommend 1 tablet or capsule for 10 gallons so if your tanks are 5 gallons a card of 8 capsules or a bottle of 20 would more than get you through the dosing and probably get you some to save in case Lilex ever needs them.  If they come in capsules and only ask you to use a half of one I usually just pour the whole capsule out on a paper towel and try to seperate the pile into two equal piles and dissolve one half of it and wrap the other half up for the next day (Waxed paper works the best).

I am hoping yet that the Tank Buddies work as they have for many of the people here.  There have been a few times that people have had to go onto another med, but usually the Tank Buddies have taken care of it.  Melafix and Pimafix work great for finrot and sometimes in conjunction with the rise in temperature for a bad case of Ich, but I have never had luck with them on a Fungal Infection.  Please let me know how things are going and if there is any information I am missing.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I tried to take some pictures but they didn't come out. I tried for about 20 minutes and didn't get a single one :-( Raspy was not happy with me!!!

When I came home from work today and saw Raspy it appears that his fin may be detaching from his body .... He stays pressed up against the side of his tank and I can see the fin on the other side working twice as hard.

Please be honest ... is there a chance he won't make it?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Now it is sounding like some kind of finrot. I am so sorry that this is happening and you have me thoroughly stumped. I am afraid that there is indeed a chance that he may not make it, but there have been Bettas that I thought would never make it and they pulled through just fine. Remember DENNIS who had been squeeze and worked over by a 3 year old and been terribly hurt, and he made it, but it took a long time. And there is Satin who has been ill with one thing or another for a long time and is still with us. So do not give up heart, but do realize that there is the possibliity that he cannot go on. I am afraid it is kind of up to his will to live as to how hard he will fight.

If his temperature is above 82 degrees and he is getting the medication and has clean water and will eat for you, then I cannot think of anything else you can do. If you would feel better, you can treat the finrot with Melafix and Pimafix but it will not do a thing for the Cotton Mouth Fungus. I did check and they can all be used together, but you must be careful of the dosages and not overdose him. Myself I would take the Tank Buddies out of the water and change the water and put Melafix in the water and make sure that the water is scrupulously clean even if you have to do daily water changes and keep it at between 82 and 85 continuously. His water parameters need to be as close to perfect as possible so if you have high nitrates or something in your water, you may want to supplement with SPRING WATER (bottled) - not distilled or drinking water. (50/50 with tap water or so)
Just while he is so sick and then slowly go back to whole tap water if you want. But only if your parameters are out of line, otherwise it is too expensive. (I know as I use 18 gallons of the stuff a week and it really runs up)

Please let me know what your parameters are and how he is doing and what you decide to do. This is a serious situation and I am so sorry you are having to go through it. I shall say some prayers for you both and send my best wishes to both of you. I have told my little ones about the trouble that Raspy is having and I believe they are sending their best too. I will keep looking to see if I can come up with something else.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much.

I do want to do all of the things you suggested if it will help him. I surely don't want to lose him.

He is eating just fine and is active for the most part although he does spend a lot of time in the back of his tank I think because it is hard for him to swim right with that fin out of commission at the moment.

I will go out tomorrow and get a test kit and post my parameters. How do I go about "removing the tank buddies"? They completely dissolve in the water so I guess I'm unclear as to what you mean by this ...

Shall I put the carbon filter back in the tank?

Sorry if I seem to be misunderstanding. I just don't want to do something incorrectly and cause him more stress than he is already going through.

I do know that there are fishies out there that have gone (or are going) through worse and I only hope that Raspy will fight as hard as they have. He is a fiesty little guy and I know that he enjoys the life he has had.

I will not give up on him!!

Thanks again.
Kelly :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do another 25% water change and put the carbon back in the filter and within 4 hours the residual medication will be considered gone from the tank and you can apply new medication but remember that you will have to remove the carbon again before putting in the new medication.

Kelly, I did not tell you about those other fish to diminish the situation you are facing. I merely wanted you to know that it is possible to have very sick fish and for them to recover. I know that poor little Raspy is receiving the very best of care and I do apologize if I am getting too wordy but I never know when I write what people understand and what they do not so I get to "blabbering on".

Just take good care of you too. Raspy needs you to be in good shape and if you worry yourself sick you cannot be good to him or to Lilex. Also please be sure to spend a little quality time with Lilex. They tend to pick up on sadness and it makes them stressed. You do not need to have another Betta in bad shape due to depression. Sorry to add a new problem, but he needs to have a pat from you.

Please let me know how things are going.

Rose

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Rose,

I know that you did not tell me about the others to diminish my situation. I was merely stating that I do remember what others have gone through and it would be wonderful if Raspy is able to conquer this as well.

I will keep you posted on what is going on. I am going to the pet store first thing in the morning and will get a test kit at least and if I can afford it some Pima/Melafix.

Should I do the water change before I test the water or after? Will the medication affect the water parameters?

Thanks for all of your help. You are always free to "blabber on" because I am sure that there are many that read the forum that don't register so if it helps someone else, that's great! I was one of those people for a bit before I registered for the forum but now I am so glad that I did. I would be so lost without you and everyone else who has helped me!!!!

I have been spending some good quality time with my babies tonight. They are both currently asleep underneath their plants and I am about to go to sleep myself. I am not worrying myself sick (as I know from past experience that does absolutely NO GOOD) but I am concerned for Raspy.

I'll post again in the morning with test results.
Kelly

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you can only afford one medication of the two get the Melafix. The Pimafix is more for Parasitic Infestations.  Melafix is for Infectious Conditions.  Right now I believe we are dealing with an infection rather than a parasite.  Omorrokh had very good luck with water changes and Melafix when her Otos had finrot. 

The medication should not change the parameters but you could try taking them both ways just to see. I would think that if they were going to they would have to mention it in the literature but nothing is mentioned and I do not recall it ever happening when I used it. You may also want to test your tap water as I never realized that my tap water was HIGH nitrate until I tested it right out of the tap. I kept trying to bring it down and it was high before I even had a chance to do anything to it. That is why I now use Spring Water for most of my changes. (our water gets above 50 and sometimes 80 at times).

Good night.  I hope all of you sleep well.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom