Rasboras

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since there isn't a section for this, anybody have any, I think there pretty sweet fish. I have harlequin but my favourite are scissor tails.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't yet have any, but I am planning to get at least 6 Harlequin Rasboras for my 75 gallon tank. I like Harlequins best of all rasboras because of the widest (of all rasboras) and nicely-shaped (as well as nicely-colored) dark blue cone on their bodies. The rest of their bodies have very nice bluish-pink hues. I think this fish is so beautiful! LOVE IT

EDIT# 1: Already have them Just 2 for now. Will get 4 more soon Love them - they're so beautifil and they school really nicely.

EDIT# 2: Got another 4 young Harlequins. Will have some pics soon. They're in my Q tank for now. They'll soon join the other 2 Harlequins in the 75 gallon tank.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup.. good ole Harlequins.. mine love frolicking with the Serpae Tetras and Rainbowfish they share their tank with.. friendly little buggers and quite pleasing to the eye.

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've got harlequins, as well. A Hengel's rasbora was mixed in with a batch that I got earlier this year, so I have one of those.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Only one of my harlequins is really nicely filled out and colored the other three aren't so pretty, I'm not real sure why but I have a few theories though but they seem to be happy.

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hope to get 2 harlequins soon! love the pinkish and blue colour on them!
Is there a "red" rasbora species?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabi said:
I hope to get 2 harlequins soon! love the pinkish and blue colour on them!
Is there a "red" rasbora species?
They like to be in groups of 6 or more.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are the effects if they are not? I've some tetras and another rasbora, i thought they'd school up...

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabi said:
What are the effects if they are not? I've some tetras and another rasbora, i thought they'd school up...
Rasboras are part of the barbs family and will have a less chance of nipping the fins of other fish if kept in a school of or more. I have found that out the hard way. But if in a school, they are very peaceful towards other tankmates.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The other rasbora has schooled with the mixture of tetra and has'nt ever nipped or caused trouble since i've had him. When i get the harlequins i'll watch to see their actions if they do school up, good!, if not i dont mind getting more...

EDIT:
Tom said:
Rasboras are part of the barbs family and will have a less chance of nipping the fins of other fish if kept in a school of or more. I have found that out the hard way. But if in a school, they are very peaceful towards other tankmates.
Tom
i forgot to mention that with the harlequins i'm getting blck ruby and cherry barbs, so maybe theres a chance there too, we'll wait and see.......

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They will school with other fish that are the same size and shape as them. I have them with Black Neon tetras and they both look the same in regards to size and shape and the 11 halrequins and 11 B.Neons all school nicely and it looks very beautiful to watch.
atmmachine said:
Since there isn't a section for this, anybody have any, I think there pretty sweet fish. I have harlequin but my favourite are scissor tails.
I now have 11 of the little beauties.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gee, lucky! i first bought 2 harlequins by themselves 1 survived trhe other was eaten by the gourami. i bought again another, that one too got eaten. i waited a while to see if the first will get eaten as well as then itl be no use me getting them again. No, the little bugger stayed on, he swam sometimes along with the glowlights but mostly by him/herself and used to spend hours playing in the airstones bubbles. I figured if he can survive then others MUST be able too. I got another 3 last week sometime, 2 are fine along with the first that survived all along but one died, unfortunately,not eaten. He got this small fungus like growths by is mouth and by the time i saw him and took him out to treat he was hanging by the water srface. put him into a separate tank and treated him but he died within the hour. i thought maybe they were fighting.I 've been trying to make out what sex they are but cant say. I'm going to see how these get along and maybe get 3 more...

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sabi said:
Gee, lucky! i first bought 2 harlequins by themselves 1 survived trhe other was eaten by the gourami. i bought again another, that one too got eaten. i waited a while to see if the first will get eaten as well as then itl be no use me getting them again. No, the little bugger stayed on, he swam sometimes along with the glowlights but mostly by him/herself and used to spend hours playing in the airstones bubbles. I figured if he can survive then others MUST be able too. I got another 3 last week sometime, 2 are fine along with the first that survived all along but one died, unfortunately,not eaten. He got this small fungus like growths by is mouth and by the time i saw him and took him out to treat he was hanging by the water srface. put him into a separate tank and treated him but he died within the hour. i thought maybe they were fighting.I 've been trying to make out what sex they are but cant say. I'm going to see how these get along and maybe get 3 more...
Ya, that's the problem with those little guys, they are really picky at first with how your tank is, but once you get a few set up and doing well, the rest just seem to do the same.
Tom

Sabi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, i got 2 more last week. They seemed fine at first, all swimming together. But after a couple of days i noticed one staying away from the rest, i figured they'd cast him out or something. Today i cant find him at all! I think his probably dead and i dnt know how i'm going to find him!

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ouch sorry to hear that

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm considering 6 of these for my next tank, a 56 gallon I'm buying next week. But the thing is I plan on having 4 juvenile koi angels, 4-6 rainbowfish, 3 yoyo's and the 2 spotted pictus cats I have now will be moved to that tank and I don't want to be overstocked. But if I feel there's room, I'll definately get a school of these peaceful fish to add to it.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Gamer said:
I'm considering 6 of these for my next tank, a 56 gallon I'm buying next week. But the thing is I plan on having 4 juvenile koi angels, 4-6 rainbowfish, 3 yoyo's and the 2 spotted pictus cats I have now will be moved to that tank and I don't want to be overstocked. But if I feel there's room, I'll definately get a school of these peaceful fish to add to it.
I hope you know that the pictus cats grow to be 10" long and need a large space to swim, like in a 70 gallon. If you take them out and maybe say what rainbowfish you want, you might be ok.
Tom

Gamer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tomh said:
I hope you know that the pictus cats grow to be 10" long and need a large space to swim, like in a 70 gallon. If you take them out and maybe say what rainbowfish you want, you might be ok.
Tom
I'm aware of what size they get to be. That's why I thought moving them to my next tank would give them enough space, at least for awhile. If not then I'll eventually give them to someone who has a big enough tank with enough space to suit their needs. My mom actually bought them for me. I told her my tank could use some bottom dwellers and I'm interested in corys. She just went to a pet shop and asked for bottom dwellers and they gave her these along with some corys (they were selling them together in the same tank). As for what kind of rainbowfish, I'd really love to get boesemon rainbows.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom