Rasbora Not Swimming Right. Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by minicupracer1, Apr 22, 2018.

1. minicupracer1

minicupracer1Valued MemberMember

One of my rasboras is having a hard time swimming right and looks like her eyes are getting bigger. I think it’s swim bladder. I put her in a quarantine tank and used melafix and put a cut up pea in there for her to eat. Any ideas to help her out. IMG_5209.jpg

2. OneLittleBubble

OneLittleBubbleWell Known MemberMember

It probably is swim bladder problems. If it is then the pea should help unless she has a real swim bladder problem from old age, then it is incurable and you may have to humanly kill her so she doesn't suffer.
    Sorry for the negativity, hope she gets well

3. Aquaticlife007

Aquaticlife007New MemberMember

My 2 rasboras recently had swim bladder disease , one was upside down like in picture , and other was swimming vertically , sadly I could save one which was swimming vertically . What I did was removed one and put in 1 bucket filled with concentrated mixture of Epsom salt (magnesium sulphate ) for 10 minutes then move it to another 1 gallon bucket of less concentrated mixture of Epsom salt for 5 minutes .Had to do this for 3 days as I see improvement day by day and while doing it I did not feed him .Then today I fed him green peas which he ate happily . Now he swims alright which his other pals. What Epsom salt does is it acts as laxative . Had done same treatment with my flowerhorn when I had fed him live mollies and he got swim bladder disease. Hope it helps.

4. OP
    OP
    minicupracer1

minicupracer1Valued MemberMember

Thanks for the comments.