Rare White Hair-like Strings

GatlingGun

Hello. I have been having algae issues lately cause my planted tank is fairly new, but the last week I’ve noticed the water cloudy (which I’ve always had water nice and clear) to find these really small, 1cm white hair-like things floating around. There are actually millions of them and I’ve been changing the filter regularly and it’s doing no justice. I have a Tidal 55 with a medium sponge and a lot of Matrix. Should I just add filter floss, or is this something worse? I haven’t needed to do a water change for a few weeks, so maybe that would help? Those are 2 things I can think of right now that may help, but this is weird. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 13

Yeoy

I'd assume they're detritus worms, micro worms or some other kind of tiny feeder like that. Most of the time they won't hurt your fish but in those numbers they can obviously upset the tank.

I'm not sure what "changing" your filter means but you should be wary of cleaning/changing out your filter contents too often. In the short term I'd stop feeding the tank for at least 1 or 2 days to see if they slow down a bit.

Upvote 0

GatlingGun

I'd assume they're detritus worms, micro worms or some other kind of tiny feeder like that. Most of the time they won't hurt your fish but in those numbers they can obviously upset the tank.

I'm not sure what "changing" your filter means but you should be wary of cleaning/changing out your filter contents too often. In the short term I'd stop feeding the tank for at least 1 or 2 days to see if they slow down a bit.
I am lightly cleaning the filter and a small ring out for the media in aquarium
water. They seem too small to be worms, but they still could be. I will stop feeding for a while. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishPlanet
  • Question
Replies
Views