Rare/unusual colours and markings in platies

Platylover

Hello, I was curious as to what markings and colours are hard to find on tank breed platies? There isn't much out there that tells you what is common and uncommon in platies, so I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any. Thank you and I've included a pic of my favourite 2nd generation platy(pretty sure she isn't rare/unusual)-

ProtimAquatics

Hey, this is a mickey mouse platy.
Same as mine.

Platylover

Hey, this is a mickey mouse platy.
Same as mine.

Yeah, her mother was a Mickey Mouse and her father was a variatus platy. Probably should have put that in my original post...
Her mother

Her father

ProtimAquatics

Hey gurplz,
according to me the rarest platy is the blue wag tail platy.

Platylover

Hey gurplz,
according to me the rarest platy is the blue wag tail platy.

Wow, those are gorgeous! Thank you for letting me know.

DioAquatics

I'm not sure what's the rarest platy but I have some interesting colored platies in my tank. Ive got I think 3-4 blue wagtail platy and 1 rainbow platy

Platylover

I'm not sure what's the rarest platy but I have some interesting colored platies in my tank. Ive got I think 3-4 blue wagtail platy and 1 rainbow platy

That's really cool, I've seen photos of them and they are gorgeous.

DioAquatics

Yea the rainbow platy is my favorite platy in my tank

Platylover

Yea the rainbow platy is my favorite platy in my tank

Can you post a photo?

DioAquatics

I'll post a picture as soon as I get home

Platylover

Thanks, can't wait to see it!

I was wondering about one of my platies, I've never really seen one with this colour. Just curious if any one else has seen one like her. She's the one on the right.

AWheeler

One thing I have never seen, is a platy that has the green coloring.....like the green swordtails.

DioAquatics

These are the best pictures I can get of him. He's a fast one haha

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Platylover

One thing I have never seen, is a platy that has the green coloring.....like the green swordtails.

That would be really pretty, your right, I've never seen one.
These are the best pictures I can get of him. He's a fast one haha

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
He looks really nice! Thanks for sharing!

DioAquatics

My grandma actually has a platy that's called green lantern platy. It's not a vibrant green that I think you're talking about

AWheeler

Are those the ones that look black, but have like a metallic green color to them? I have some sword tails that are black and have like the metallic flecks in their scales, but no I was talking about something more like the green swords.

DioAquatics

Yea those are the ones I'm talking about. But some green platy like the green swords would be really nice

AWheeler

Maybe one of us should start a new line of platy lol

DioAquatics

Haha maybe we should

Platylover

Thanks for all the replies and the photos! I actually found something that tells some of the rarer colour and such-

I think I might have two half bottom bar platies.

DioAquatics

Thanks or that link, makes me want to buy some rare platy haha

Platylover

Thanks or that link, makes me want to buy some rare platy haha

No problem, it really does make you want to buy some!

ProtimAquatics

thanks for all the replies and the photos! I actually found something that tells some of the rarer colour and such-

I think I might have two half bottom bar platies.

The link was great !

ProtimAquatics

glad you liked it!

Do you know what is happening just now ?
My mickey mouse platy is giving birth to tiny fries.
It is the fourth batch of fries.
Now I have 112 fries.

Platylover

Do you know what is happening just now ?
My mickey mouse platy is giving birth to tiny fries.
It is the fourth batch of fries.
Now I have 112 fries.

Haha that's awesome. They really do have a lot of fry every time(unless it's their first batch). I probaly have around 20-30 adults that were breed in my tank. This week most of them will be given away(I can finally not have an overstocked tank, well for a month or two). I've never seen one give birth though. That's really neat!

ProtimAquatics

Haha that's awesome. They really do have a lot of fry every time(unless it's their first batch). I probaly have around 20-30 adults that were breed in my tank. This week most of them will be given away(I can finally not have an overstocked tank, well for a month or two). I've never seen one give birth though. That's really neat!

I have planned to give these fries to my friends, brothers , sisters and to my local fish store or else my tank would be overstocked !

Bmur05

I have planned to give these fries to my friends, brothers , sisters and to my local fish store or else my tank would be overstocked !
Hi, so reading some of these posts, is it pretty normal to have multiple different color variations of platys? Just want to make sure it's not recommended to have a couple or few of each. My daughter likes a few different kinds so I was thinking about getting one or two of each. Thanks!

Bmur05

Are those the ones that look black, but have like a metallic green color to them? I have some sword tails that are black and have like the metallic flecks in their scales, but no I was talking about something more like the green swords.

I think this is the green lantern I saw today!

Platylover

Hi, so reading some of these posts, is it pretty normal to have multiple different color variations of platys? Just want to make sure it's not recommended to have a couple or few of each. My daughter likes a few different kinds so I was thinking about getting one or two of each. Thanks!

Yep, it's fine to mix different types together. Just make sure if your getting female and males to have a 1m:2f ratio.

Bmur05

Yep, it's fine to mix different types together. Just make sure if your getting female and males to have a 1m:2f ratio.
Sounds great! Thanks so much!

Platylover

No problem.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Celestialgirl
  • tokiodreamy
  • Platy
Replies
Views
tokiodreamy