Rare Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by BreederGuy23, Apr 10, 2010.

1. BreederGuy23

BreederGuy23New MemberMember

I was going grocery shopping at walmart,everything was going smooth,then I remebered I needed algae wafers for my common plecos.I asked the guy at the LFS if they had any.He said Yes,but come check this out we have 3 rare plecos for sale.He had shown me a Golden Nugget Pleco,a Royal Pleco,and a Zebra Pleco.The Golden Nugget Pleco cost 40 bucks,the Royal cost 20,and the zebra cost $$$215.00$$$.I bought the Royal Pleco.He is 1in the guy said he will grow to 14-18in in 6-8 years if fed right.Now I put him in the 29g Tank with my guppies,platy,and common pleco.In december I will be getting my Royal Pleco a 75g Tank with a school of guppies.The question is will he get along with my common plco?And i have wood in my tank the guy said they eat wood and algae wafers,what else can I feed him?

Oh nd in the future in the 75g can I add another one

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  2. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Apparently they don't like sharing space with other plecos. They like cucumber, zuchini, kale, etc, in addition to their algae.

3. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

will they get along until i buy a new tank for the Royal Pleco

4. sirdarksol

Unsure. I don't think they're like bettas, where they'll kill each other overnight, but they might beat each other up.
    Or, it could be that, as juveniles, they'll put up with each other for awhile. I'd say that you should just keep a close eye on them.

5. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

I'll do that,but when I get the Royal Pleco now named Frank a tank can I get a friend of the same species for frank or will I need a bigger tank.

6. sirdarksol

I'm not sure. I think that a 75 may not be big enough for two of them to have their own space. When plecos get to be 18", they are huge, both in length and in bulk.

7. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

What if I get a 100g

8. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The waste that plecos that size would produce will overwhelm anything but a much larger aqaurium. Even if you do two large water changes and substrate vacuums.
    I have one 5 inch P. gibbiceps in a 55g and the waste he produces is just unreal. He will get much larger soon so he will go to live in a friends 212g or in his heated pond.
    Carol

9. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

OMG,but I kind of want another one so I will get a 250g

10. Butterfly

Oh I understand completely. I Love plecos but the large ones do take some planning and care.
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

if I get a female how long will it take them to breed

12. Butterfly

Depends on the Pleco. Some have to be several years old and some have certain conditions that have to be met. Sorry I can't be any more specific.
    Carol

13. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

I am talking about the Royal Pleco

14. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Carol has you covered, just wanted to say that zebra pleco is probably the Colombian Zebra Pleco (L129) and not the "actual" Zebra Pleco.

Brian

15. Butterfly

This is the only information I've seen regarding the breeding of Royal Pleco (L190) and it's not much.
    http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=151
    Common names in pleco are really confusing some times. There are several zebra plecos (besides the famous L46) named for their coloration.
    Carol

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  16. OP
    OP
    BreederGuy23

Thanks that was great info

17. catsma_97504

catsma_97504Fishlore LegendMember

I've only kept common plecos. When I first set up my 90 gallon tank 10 years ago, a friend had 3 plecos in a 55 gallon. Eventually, they got so big, that I ended up adopting them. At that time, the smallest pleco was 12 long and 4 inches across at the head...and it's coloring was more like a peanut butter, so it may have been a different variety. Well, these 3 grew up together and were able to get along in my 90 gallon so long as I had many hiding places. Needless to say, I ended up passing them on to another who had an even bigger tank. But, they did not kill each other.

Currently, I have one pleco...another adoptee. Our LFS will sell anyone a pleco and tell them to return the fish when it gets too big for the tank. I think it is hilarious. They'll let you raise a baby and return a 6 inch fish that they turn around and sell to the next guy for a huge profit.

I have never tried to breed them, so hopefully there is another with more information on that.

18. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

Everything I have look up for you says they have not been spawned in captivity, with a few notes here and there about they have but with no documentation. (like an aquarium in Gemany I think it was in the 70's and someone in Queensland, AUS but again with no concrete documentation that I can find.) Most of these seem a bit old so maybe they have since these have been written.

From http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/royal.php

Royal pleco breeding in aquariums is not common, which is sad since this fish is quite sensitive to harvesting in the wild. The minimum population doubling time is over 14 years and it is therefore hard for populations to recover when large amounts of fish are caught for the aquarium trade.

If you want to induce breeding in Royal plecos, try to mimic a dry season with a subsequent rainy season in the aquarium. The rainy season typically brings cooler, softer and more acidic water combined with plenty of meaty food and green foods
    . You can use rain water and do a major water change.

Sexing Royal pleco is tricky. In many plecos, sexing can be done by looking at the papilla. If it is round and blunt, the fish is a female. If it is small and pointy, the fish is a male. It is still known clear if this method can be used for the Royal pleco as well.

From http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/l190.php

Breeding: Very little to almost nothing documented on the breeding of royal plecos. Most are wild caught. Extremely hard to breed but some have achieved this great accomplishment. They are egglayers.

From http://www.planetcatfish.com/cotm/cotm.php?article_id=74

No published information exists, but I have heard that the fish has been spawned in captivity using some form of tube in a large tank (approx. 125 US Gallons). A false dry season of two weeks (low, warm, still water) was used. Then the tank was topped off with cooler rainwater (refilling about 80%). Lots of meaty and veggie foods were offered. The pair spawned within days.

Like I said I have read about 15 different write ups/articles and most are pretty much the same. It has been done but no documentation.
    Hopefully that helps some....

Brian