Rapid Growing some plants.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by soltarianknight, Nov 25, 2012.

1. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

I finally got back into the swing of things with my tanks and i need to replant my 29 bad. I lost everything due to lighting problems and I have very little left over (I have mass amounts of water sprite though).

Right now i have 2 plants i want to start mass producing. I used to mass produce Javafern but yeah. it is all basically dead. There are bright green rhizomes left over though, with roots. The issue is that the leaves are growing back in really super thin and not leaf like at all. I do have some healthy stuff in the 10gal that is propagating right now so I may go that route.

I also have found a small clump of Java moss, that came from who knows where, growing on an ornament in my 10gal. It is being consumed by BBE from what i can see though. I was wondering if I jarred it with some gravel and fish water and put it on the windowsill if it would grow? I could do this with Javafern cuttings as well.

I also added rotala to the 29 that seems to be taking well so there is that, but it isn't a very thick plant.

2. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

This is what it used to look like. all the javafern is rhizome now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  3. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

There won't be enough nutrients in the glass jar to grow the java moss. Even with adding tank water with fertilizers there won't be a constant source of ammonia or nitrites that it needs. Java moss can be grown emersed in miracle gro organic choice potting mix though. I have seen some have success growing it in heavily saturated soil in a pot on the windowsill too, but I've never tried it. It does grow faster emersed and there is little chance of algae (except cyanobateria with too much water).

I am pretty sure java ferns can also be grown emersed, but I do not know how well to would transition back to a submerged setting. I have crypts and some other plants growing quickly emersed, so if you are interested in it I have been running a blog of it on here (unless you already saw it). I started with fairly small crypts from petsmart and within a few weeks they grew big enough to be split. In an aquarium those grow pretty slow.

If you are open to suggestions and depending on the lighting, riccia grows pretty fast and is pretty popular. It is also usable as a floater or tied like a moss. Chain swords also spread pretty easily with runners off the mother plant.

BTW, your tank looked really nice, sorry that you ran into problems with it. Also, sorry about the long post.

4. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Thanks! I was going just replace the water with nutrient rich water siphoned out of the gravel(lots of poo) daily to keep the nutrients up. One of the methods i found was keeping the moss in a wide shallow dish covered in mesh or cellophane with just enough water to cover the moss. Apparently leaving it out in the sun and changing that water often gets it to grow rapidly and helps keep algae at bay. I will look into emmersion techniques.

As for the java fern, before all i did was set leaf cuttings aside in a breeder trap or spare container until they put off shoots and then buried the leaf(the ends of it) in gravel until the shoots took.

Im going get more lemon Bacopa this week too i think.

5. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Well, your plan for the moss sounds like it may be feasible since you would have an ammonia source. I never knew that about java ferns. I've never got that far with them in my tanks. I just got a bunch of java ferns, so I think I may try that with the cuttings. I have some lemon bacopa in my 20 gallon and it is really easy to take care of. Not the fastest growth rate, but it does well. I hope this all goes well for you, I don't know what I would do with my tanks without plants.

6. crayfish1New MemberMember

Hygrohilia is also a very fast and prolific plant

7. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Ive been looking into Hygrohilia

8. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

A lot of hygrophilia is nice, just avoid hygrophilia polysperma (sunset hygro) if you plan on selling it since it is federally illegal to transport across state lines. I accidentally just bought some from a LFS, but in Indiana it is illegal to even give away.

9. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Yikes. I have a life supply of lemon bacopa in the local stream, as well as baby tear and Naja. All i do is dip it to clean it off and pick through it. When i had Bacopa in my 29 it grew like a weed, super fast. The area of the stream it grew in was zero light due to trees. Mt tank is low lighting.

10. chevyguy8893Well Known MemberMember

Lucky, it costs me $5 for 2"x3" mat of baby tears around here. The bacopa must not like my tank then, but I would be happy if it grew really fast. It seems that a few species of vallisneria grow pretty easily under low light. Marsilea hirsuta is supposed to grow pretty easily in low light also, and would work well as a foreground plant. There are some nice lists of low light plants online to go from, but I can't link here since it would be against the forum rules.

11. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Oh, i can get like a 2'X3' mat of baby tears for about 15 minutes work.

12. jetajockey

jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

Baby tears and Dwarf baby tears (HC) are a bit different. I'm guessing you are in the south, because we have this stuff all over. I have a Fluval Chi doing a dry start with regular baby tears (micranthemum umbrosum) right now, it's filling in but I want it to be full before I add water.

Have you considered upgrading the lighting on the tank? What are you using now?

13. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

lighting is about 50w. Not sure of the lumens. It isn't anything special. It is enough to grow the low light stuff i use(ferns,moss,bacopa,hornwort etch). Baby tear is not low light unfortunately. I am not in the market to upgrade lighting anytime soon either.

14. jetajockey

Baby tears actually can grow in low light, depending. I've had some that has done well with minimal light, and others that did not. The big issue with this and other often labeled 'high light' plants is not that they can't be grown in lower light setups, but that they don't grow in the way they are expected to. Baby tears gets really leggy and grows upwards, it takes a strong light to keep it compact and against the ground.

A good and common hygro choice is h.difformis, aka water wisteria.

Your window sill can work well, however the plants can cook easily if the sun is on them a bit too much, so it's important not to keep them in all day sun if possible, or at least monitor the temps.

To get it to grow faster, consider growing emersed. This process is basically maintaining a small amount of water in the bottom of the container, enough to keep the soil damp, and sealing the container so that moisture stays in. The combination of soil and atmospheric co2 levels means faster growth than you'd have if you kept it fully aquatic.

I'll start a thread later today with photos of my emersed tubs to give some examples.

15. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Thanks. Lost the moss to the BBE. Fixed the BBE problem. There are still a few strands left so i will let them re cultivate before moving them. My java ferns are growing like champs.

16. jetajockey

BBE = brush algae? One thing to try is spot treating. Hydrogen peroxide works well and might save the plant. Another alternative is to take affected plants and grow it emersed. Most plants can deal but algae cannot.

17. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Black Beard Algae.

18. OP
    OP
    soltarianknight

Black Beard Algae. Meant to be typing BBA...:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice