Raphael Catfish Tankmates

mfclam

Hey everyone, I have an 100 gallon aquarium I am moving my 5 bichirs into(all Polypterus senagalus, ranging from 4” to 7” long). They currently live with a 5” zebra spiny eel. I want to invest in somewhat of a cleaner fish for the new tank, it’s completely cycled with pre cycled media, and has been running for 3 months. Ammonia is 0 PPM, nitrite also 0 PPM, nitrates are at 2 PPM. Water is hard and ph is 7.4. I don’t have tests for anything else at the moment. The wood in the tank has a thick layer of biofilm that keeps coming back after I clean it up. I’ve heard of people keeping Raphael cats with large predatory fish and they seem to hold their own? Any other suggestions, feedback, or thoughts I’d really appreciate it

A201

If you are looking for a big, sturdy & active scavenger fish, you might look at the Modesta Botia Loach.
Raphael's are cool looking Catfish but tend to be shy & reclusive.
A group of good sized Modestas will vigorously clean up the substrate and hold their own against comparable sized predator fish.

20210929_092028.jpg

mfclam

If you are looking for a big, sturdy & active scavenger fish, you might look at the Modesta Botia Loach.
Raphael's are cool looking Catfish but tend to be shy & reclusive.
A group of good sized Modestas will vigorously clean up the substrate and hold their own against comparable sized predator fish.

20210929_092028.jpg
I did end up getting a Raphael catfish, he is definitely incredibly shy. I’m gonna look into those loaches you recommended,

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
daniellee
  • Question
Replies
Views
dakt0a
Replies
Views
Ari840
Replies