RAOK sword plant

1. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I have a sword plant that is medium size. Tip of top leave is 10" tall. Plant is aprox. 13" wide. Good for a large tank.
    Winner to pay s/h USPS rates. I have Paypal.

Ok, on to contest.

Today I learned an interesting fact about lake malawi (sp?), African cichlids. Mouth broders protect their young by hiding the eggs inside the mouth. There's an enemy fish that does the same. What can happen by accident?

2. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

the can get the eggs mixed up?

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe the enemy fish tries to eat the cichlid, and ends up raising its eggs?

(Watch, this is actually going to be a joke with a punchline...)

4. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Not sure if this is what you were asking but this is the explanation that popped into my mind.

The Cuckoo Catfish (Synodontis multipunctatus) waits for cichlids to begin breeding. When they see that the cichlids have begun a group of them rush into the are where the cichlids are breeding. They lay their own fertilized eggs in the same spot and eat the cichlids' eggs. The female cichlid, in her rush to save her eggs, pick up the Syno's eggs and raises the babies in her mouth. Any cichlid eggs which where picked up by the female are promptly eaten by the catfish fry soon after hatching which takes 48-72 hours.

5. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I was thinking along the same line as Rogue; but never posted as I don't have room for another sword plant!

6. OP
    OP
    psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Very good! Sword is yours. I'll ship tomorrow, PM me the address.
    I saw the episode on cichlids and it actually showed inside the cichlids mouth. Camera showed how the catfish eat the eggs right in the cichlids mouth. Amazing!

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Yay!!