Ranting!

1. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

So I go into my Petco today to buy wet cat food just like every week and they have a nice sized (8"??) Jack Dempsey who used to live in a 75g with 2 Oscars. She was beating up said tankmates so they were gonna flush her. Petco took her instead. She is rather lovely and personable I think.

bc66230fcfa9879ae7ef36cc143cf241.jpg

6dbd9426c5bc71530915c93244c77e9d.jpg

And they had this big guy! An Oscar. Owner kept him in a 30g for 4 years and didn't want him anymore!! He's a little shy but seems to warm up.

598eab57c6f526153cc31c2fa5cf69d1.jpg

8f1b9c0bdeecb7951deb7124cd187aca.jpg

Why do people get these fish if they can't house them properly?!?!? Ggrrrrr . Or even want to learn and house properly?? And I can't take them since I have no set up and I am thinking 55 is too small. I mean of course the Jack Dempsy will be aggressive. It's named after the boxer for a reason!! It's not called the cute and cuddly social fish. Maybe my Petco has been lucky to get 2 good people in that work the fish department? But if people come in and see these big fish maybe that will make them think about the proper size to keep those cute juvies in. I hope these two find a home soon.

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

Nice feeder fish in the 3rd pic lol.
    With the great staff most fish stores usually have I am not surprised these fish are still sold in mass.
    I dont like big fish, but Oscar´s faces always look very cute and make me want to get one.

3. James17 Well Known Member Member

:(

4. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

I agree on both I've seen petco have 15 baby Oscars in one tank and Oscars do have adorable faces I want to get an Albino but my dad doesn t let me :mad:

5. goplecos Well Known Member Member

My LFS has 2 1.5 foot Common Plecos and I want to get 1 of them but I can't. I have a shy 1 foot Pleco in a 55 gallon and i don't have room for another. :( :( :(

6. RedLoredAmazon Well Known Member Member

Too bad the local LFS couldn't be told about these fish at your Petco. Hopefully someone responsible will swoop in and get them. Such good looking fish, but boy are they big!

7. popsikle Initiate Member

Sometimes plans change, you get some nice juvies and have big plans of getting bigger tanks as they grow and then your wifey steps in...

Anyway, this happens at my local petco too, there happens to be a largish jack that showed up between yesterday and today but i used to know the aquarium folk there (there used to be two who really really cared) and they would just take them to one of the LFS after work if they were bot rehomed in a day or two. If you get to know the staff at petco and they care you can help them help the fish by transporting to your trusted LFS, takes a while to build that relationship though, but its worth it.

8. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

@BeanFish. They are trying to get him to eat since he hasn't eaten since he came in Friday. Nope! He has tank mates. I told him he should just eat the smaller fish.

I know! He makes me want an Oscar and she makes me want a Dempsey even though I do not have the room for such a big tank (thinking 125g?)

@James17. I agree. I'm thinking of maybe visiting them throughout the week at least a couple times. Wish I had a tank so I could take at least one of them.

@Kenny777. Yes they do sell Oscar but I've seen 4 in a tank at 2" but they do have something written on the tank about them being around or over a foot long as adults. At least mine does.

@goplecos. Oh cool! I wish you could have the tank so you could have both Plecos. Too bad Plecos can't understand we want to keep a lot of them!

@RedLoredAmazon. One is closed until Wednesday but I could call the other. It couldn't hurt cuz the worst they can say is no but they might say yes. I know! This is the first Oscar I've seen past the 2" stage. He's big!! I wish I had a big enough tank to take them both. Or even just one.

@popsikle. But surely the partner would understand keeping the fish comfortable and happy? I'd love to get a baby one but there is no guarantee of me getting a big enough tank in time. I'm gonna try calling both my LFS this week or go in this weekend. See if one of them can take these guys. They are currently in 55g which is the biggest the store has to house fish but obviously they need bigger. The fish lady at Petco has only been there a few months but she's nice and is busting butt trying to give all the fish the best care she is able to within the store. I get to know everyone at Petco since I'm in there so much. And I'm good with the one LFS since I go in there alot

9. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

The Jack Dempsey went home today!!! She will now live in a 75 gallon tank. It it her Castle now and she is the queen.

10. MattS99 Well Known Member Member

My PetSmart takes in large fish as well. The local Petco? I went there the other day to get dog food, was looking at the fish. They looked decent, not great. The woman there was asking me what I like, what I have, etc. I made up a story. I told her I just finished cycling a 10 gallon, what should I put in there? She looked over the wall of tanks, pointed to some juvie black convict cichlids. She goes "Hmm... 3 or 4 of those guys would be great in a 10!" Disgusted.

11. Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Convicts get 6 inches so × that by 4. That's 24inches about 2× the size of a 10gallon!!!

12. filtered_light Member Member

Pretty jack! Glad they at least took them to a store rather than flushing, which is crazy!

13. fissh Well Known Member Member

It's nice that your Petco takes in big fish :) it's better than the alternative! But as long as there is an aquarium trade this is going to happen! If the store posts a sign that says a fish gets large and the customer knows it, but choses to buy it anyway, Who's fault is it!! No matter what the hobby is, there's going to be dumbbells in it:confused: and no matter what you think it will always be that way, unless we All stop keeping fish:eek: which I don't plan on doing soon.

14. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

@MattS99. So far no big fish (well out of juvenile stage) at Petsmart. So that's good. Of course Petsmart says you can keep a 2' Pleco and a 36" koi in a 75 gallon. Oh dear! 3 convicts in a 10?? Eek!! Your Petco lady isn't the best.

@filtered_light. I know! She's lovely. I dunno if the Dempsey is a girl but that's what they called it. Yeah very glad they didn't flush her! Of course the only reason they didn't is they thought she'd clog the toilet. She found a home :).

@fissh. I agree! It's just never happened before!! I mean they've taken in adult mollies and some adult tetras but I haven't seen big fish before! Yeah that's true. Now hoping the Oscar finds a home.

I put my finger to the glass and he actually came over very slowly since he can't really move (55) and bumped the glass lightly.

15. Fanatic Well Known Member Member

I understand your reasoning @jenmur
    I don't think I fish that large could even be flushed.

16. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

This makes me want a huge tank so I could take the Oscar. But I don't. I think all animals, fish included, should be kept so they can be happy and live well. Yeah the Dempsey wouldn't have fit. I'm glad they brought her there and she found a good home. She let me know that Dempseys are rather pretty fish!

The lady put in gravel and a lot of plants so they both had/have things to hide behind and move around. Ohh and the Oscar ate the guppies!! :). So he's eating!

17. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

not to be the party pooper , why so happy about the guppies being eaten? shouldn't they also be able to live a long happy life?

Agreed with everything everyone has stated above , I do think pet/fish stores should list how big each fish get and what the minimum size tank is , I've yet to only see one local fish store do this which amazed me, most places just want to make a quick buck and that's all that counts so if selling you a 2" Oscar for your 10g will make them 10$ their fine with it and honestly MOST of the time staff members at big chain pet stores have never kept anything but some goldfish in a 2g bowl

18. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

My LFS does this. The label above one of their tanks says that common plecos get to 8-10" and need a 50 litre (about 13 gallons) tank minimum. Above the goldfish tank it says that the yellow goldfish get to 3" and can live in a bowl. That sign is above a tank with young common and comet goldfish. So yeah, they should label their fish with the adult size and tank size but this information needs to be accurate.

Your right about the staff not being knowledgeable about fishkeeping. In one of the display tanks at the LFS they had goldfish with tropical fish. I asked politely why they were keeping goldfish with tropical fish since goldfish are coldwater. The guy said goldfish are "fine at pretty much any temperature". And he knows because he has a 5 gallon with 2 goldfish, 5 angelfish, 3 guppies, 2 red tail sharks, 1 cory cleaner fish and 1 sucker cleaner fish and they're all fine he says. I don't know how they could actually fit in that tank.

19. jenmur Fishlore VIP Member

@JesseMoreira06. Because he wasn't eating anything. I agree that one should try to stick to not using feeder fish but they tried everything else (flakes pellets freeze dried and frozen) and he wasn't eating so I am glad he finally ate something.

Oh wow!! A LFS does that? The fish people at the LFS I use and the Petco both think only certain fish should go in smaller tanks. Sometimes the workers disagree with company policy (the tiny tanks and bowls)

@BottomDweller. Oh my goodness!! . That's horrible! I don't know how his 5 gallons of fish live

20. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

haha you got me good with the first part , I was like wow that's a good local fish store that cares....in tell I started reading plecos get 8" and need 13g tank ect.. That's crazy but ya totally right they need to state it but it needs to be accurate, but then again I feel like customers not all but their will still be some that will still look at the sign "severums grow to 10-12" needs a 75g minimum" and think to themself "perfect for my 20g LONG" ...

1 cory cleaner fish and 1 sucker cleaner fish , employee and doesn't even no what their true names are just calls them by what they "do", I'm pretty shocked they all fit in that 5g as well geeez, but those are the exact people who you want teaching the world about fish keeping....