Rant: Moving with Fish

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by Emily Caldwell, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Emily Caldwell

Emily Caldwell Valued Member Member

Kill me now! I got the keys to my new place yesterday and have begun the super fun task of painting the entire unit because the landlord thinks that a hideous brown putty color is the best choice for a rental, apparently. So I get to work all day, then paint all night. I have to wait for the paint to air out, then I have to haul my new 55 gallon to the new place and get it set up. I only have 2 days for it to cycle using a couple of the filters on the current tank, so my fingers are crossed that will happen because the last thing my JD needs after the stress of moving is ammonia stress! Also my betta is already in bad shape after an incident with the gravel siphon, so I'm worried he may not survive the move at all.

AND, I have to lay down the law with my new roommate because she wants to BUG BOMB our house to kill earwigs. Earwigs are gross and all, but poison is grosser and it will KILL my fish! Hoping diatomaceous earth will do the trick because pesticide and fish do not mix! So this whole week is packing, painting, moving, tank set ups and break downs...and that's just at home.

On top of that, my office mbuna tank is a total nightmare. It's too small and the aggression is out of control. So I also get to stress about that, put together the stand and move my iso tank that currently has one fish in it, redo the rockscape in the main tank for the second time in a week, and potentially pull the rocks out for a THIRD TIME if things don't improve for a couple of the weaker fish in the tank, which we all know they won't!

Just what everyone wants to do when they already have to move 2 fish across town: constantly pull 90 lbs of rock out of a mbuna tank and rearrange it in a futile attempt to stop fish gang beatings.

Moving will make you seriously question your life choices and/or multiple tank syndrome problem, AMIRITE?!

2. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

We just moved at the beginning of the month to a place 30 miles from our previous place. Between my parents and I, we have 5 tanks (65g, 55g, 50g, 20T, 20L) and over 60 fish. All the fish made it through the move but I did lose a Gourami just a couple days ago for an unknown reason. But you are right, moving tanks is a pain in the butt! Its no wonder so many people sell their tank rather than moving it..

3. a

aquaman86 Valued Member Member

What I did when I moved was put the smaller tank fishes in the bigger tank and made several trips moving tanks and fishes.

4. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

I got both fish moved. The JD jumped out of the transfer container on the way from the tank to the bucket, so that was pretty traumatizing for both of us. He is looking kinda pale but seems ok. He's eating so that's obviously a great sign. What a pain, though! I hope I can stay in this place for a couple years so I don't have to move them again any time soon!

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

How are things Emily?
    Hope everything has calmed down :)

6. OP
    OP
    Emily Caldwell

Thanks for asking! Both fish are doing well in the new place, JD is perking up quite a bit and eating well. My betta was totally unfazed. You wouldn't even know he had been moved. He's a resilient little bugger!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice