Rant: About To Give Up On Crystal Shrimp

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by Fahn, May 24, 2019.

1. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Ok, so I'm pretty frustrated right now. I originally started with 11 CBS. Lost a few the first few days. Typical with shrimp, almost everyone loses a few even after careful acclimation. Tank had CO2 at the time which probably contributed.

Had 7 for the longest time. Used to be 8 but I lost one to too much CO2. So I took CO2 out of the tank. Problem solved, all was good for a while. Added a nice piece of spiderwood to the tank.

Left for two week vacation. Gave in-depth details on care and maintenance to my brother on feeding, topping off, etc. He's really good about following directions and messaging me if he has questions. Followed my routine to the last detail.

Come back home to 4 shrimp. Nobody ever noticed any dead shrimp in the tank. I found no bodies, they were just gone. No idea why. TDS was a little higher than usual but no other issues. Water change would fix everything.

A couple of weeks later, another dead shrimp for seemingly no reason. Now down to three shrimp. Upon inspection I see hydra in the tank. Great.

There was one baby shrimp I saw maybe 2-3 times. It is now gone. Two shrimp left, and I'm dosing PraziPro to kill the hydra. No problems from shrimp, hydra are shriveling up and dying.

Yesterday there were two healthy, active shrimp in the tank. Today there is one. I checked under the one piece of driftwood in the tank, sifted through the plants with tweezers, and it is GONE. Not a trace. It's nowhere on the floor or in the filter, either.

This is my third attempt with crystals. I'm getting frustrated-- borderline annoyed-- at how terribly it has gone. Crystals are supposed to be easy and breed like rabbits...

I check my TDS every few days. I use the right shrimp salts on pure water (0 TDS) and remineralize to the right ranges. I only feed them 2-3 times a week and there is biofilm and algae in the tank to keep them fed. No more CO2, plenty of aeration, lots of live plants, clean water, what on Earth am I doing wrong??

I'm at the point where I don't even want to try anymore. These shrimp are too expensive and I'm getting angry that they are dying in my care.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2019
  2. david1978 Fishlore Legend Member

@richie.p ha never mind I see he's already on it.

3. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

4. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

I’m sorry you’re going through this. Frustrating for sure. I will say that it’s normal to not find the body, even one shrimp will devour it in no time. I also assume your parameters are “normal”...I don’t do RO water or re-mineralizing so I can’t help there. Back when I started shrimp I had die off due to my hard water (they came from very soft) I tried half and half ro and slowly weaned it back to tap. Any new babies were then acclimated to my water. Two years later, no problems. I actually put zero effort into this tank. So basically when I quit caring is when they started thriving. I hope you can resolve this. Keep your head up.

5. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Great, now I can't find the other one... what's going on...

6. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Crystal are not as easy as cherries to keep so let's go back to basics, first lets have ph,gh/kh temp tds after reminerilsing also photo of remaining.ing shrimp to identify if theres any disease, we know planaria kill shrimp also while were at it are there nymph lava dragonflies larva around your area at the moment let's eliminate that lot first and anything else anyone brings up, photo of the tank as well

7. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I know cherries are easiest, but crystals still aren't very difficult provided you keep things stable.

I don't think it is planaria, and while we have dragonflies and damselflies in my area there's no way the tank has been exposed.

I do not have a GH/KH kit right now but I have a new one coming in the mail.
    TDS is 126
    pH is around 6.4
    temp is 74 F/23 C

No photos of the shrimp, I can't see any at all, even under the driftwood.
    Here is a photo from earlier, running an airstone due to the meds I'm dosing.

photo_2019-05-24_15-36-00.jpg

8. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Everything there is spot on with that tds I'd say your gh is 5, is it possible that wood as been exposed to something toxic that's leaching into the tank, but if that's the case you should see bodies, they are masters at hiding you can easily bypass them with that cover, dont go pulling anything apart yet as theres nothing concrete to warrant it, how long were the shrimp in there

9. richie.p Well Known Member Member

How would you feel about getting some cheap cherries to put in so we can monitor them from the start, you can still put Crystal's in later with them if they survive. If they die we can look at disease but photos are needed of dead ones in the tank, I know its frustrating but dont give up just yet im sure we can solve this

10. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

So I found one shrimp (the remaining one I saw earlier) but it is definitely the last one in the tank.

11. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I mean I have cherries I can move to that tank, though I don't think it will really make a difference. I do 50% water changes on my 1 gallon cherry shrimp tank every week and they aren't even phased, and keep some kind of food in their tank almost daily. They're much hardier.

12. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Can you photograph the last one closeup what water changes were you doing on the crystal tank

13. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I'll try to get a photo soon, but from what I can tell it is fine.

My water changes were usually 10 to 15 percent, rarely 20.

14. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Here is the remaining crystal. It's always had a bit of a blonde/brownish color.

photo_2019-05-24_16-41-48.jpg

15. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Ok water changes are fine
    Thats an open top tank so its possible a predator as got in like a nymph larva so keep an eye open,
    Moving some cherries over will make all the difference as you know theres been a problem with Crystal's if you have a problem with cherries then something is seriously wrong on the other hand if they live it will be worth adding more crystal. Use sacrificial shrimp but this time you take photos watch for a disease starting so we can nail it, acclimate the cherries over two hrs to give them the best possible start do weekly gh ph tds readings get your water as close as possible to tank temp when changing,cherries will give you all the information to go forward. log what you do, most important dont give up just yet

16. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

I mean like... I'm not completely ignorant when it comes to shrimpkeeping, so this has been a humiliating experience. I've thoroughly researched the subject and have had tons of success with neos. Before the big hurricane last year I was having success with crystal reds, but our power went out for a week and they all died...

Is it because the tank volume is so small...? It's only about 8 liters...

17. richie.p Well Known Member Member

No one is judging your intelligence or ignorance on shrimp keeping these things come to us all at one time or another and even I need help now and again, certainly dont feel humiliated we're all here to help each other no matter how experienced we are we all need help, so with your knowledge and experience let's start putting that back into your tank as what come out of this will also enhance my knowledge and maybe get a problem like this sorted for others with similar problems, now your saying its an 8ltr tank can be a problem in itself keeping water perameters stable especially ph swings let's try some cherries let's see if we can keep them alive,

18. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Going to wait until the meds run their course, sometime on Sunday. I have replacement water and carbon on standby.

19. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

So, I've made up my mind on the tank.

Tomorrow I am trimming it, draining it down, and getting rid of the canister filter and lily pipes.

I am moving my cherry shrimp in along with their small HOB filter. I will acclimate the remaining crystal shrimp to their water, and keep it as a neo tank.

I do not want to try Taiwan bees again unless I set up a tank of at least 35 liters. This tank has been a constant headache trying to keep things stable, trying to keep shrimp alive, troubleshooting issues with hardware... there's no use in deliberately making this more difficult than it needs to be.

I appreciate the help I've received on the tank over the past couple of months, but it's obvious that it's not ideal or realistic to keep Taiwan bees thriving in 8 liters of water.

20. Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Tank has been trimmed, HOB filter in place, and new residents dripped over 2 hours. I also took the wood out and boiled it to get rid of anything nasty.

Now dripping the remaining crystal to the new water over an additional 2-3 hours.