Rant about motherhood/girlfriendhood!

1. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I have just finished cooking a meal from scratch with a 14 month old hanging off my arm, trying to steal grapes from the fridge, whilst I try and kick him out the kitchen so he doesn't get burnt, he then pulls a plant pot off the window sill.... cracked pottery and soil everywhere, comes back into the kitchen and throws soil at me. So I am cleaning soil, pottery, changing a nappy, cooking a meal, playing with the baby.....

whilst the other half plays xbox.... IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE PLANT POT MASSACRE!

I (probably not as nicely as I remembered) asked him if he could just help me out a little.

Now the 27 year old is sulking in the corner, refusing to eat his tea.

Sorry, I just needed to moan! Feeling a little run down by them both today!xx

EDIT: I would just like to add my stinking chesty cold in to the mix. Of course, being a mother, being ill is not something that I can do!xx

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oh dear sounds like you've got your hands more than full.
    It's no consolation I know but the male of the species seem to retain that mischievousness & tendency to sulk no matter what their age, they seem to have missed out on the sensible gene that we females develop - no offence to the males on here ;)

3. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I totally agree! In my house, the 27 year old and 14 month old act the same when they don't get their own way. Today I feel like I have two toddlers throwing tantrums, not one!xx

4. HappyKnitter Member Member

hollie1505

Here is a little advise from a mother of five.. the first 3 were two years apart...When I knew I have to cook I had highchairs for them in the kitchen.. they got some veggies or friut or even a little cereal to make what mommy was making...Gave them a bowl a spoon and they help me mix things.. At least it gave me enough time to get dinner ready.while I kept an eye on them . Then it became a habit they learned colors and spelling of veggies and they love to eat them. Hubby advise well I dont need them to help out , they just get in the way.... My grandma told me that . and she was right. Hang in there I would do it all over again .lol My oldest is 38 years old and my youngest is 20years.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Thank you HappyKnitter!

For some reason, in the back of my mind I stupidly assumed he would help me out on his day off. Obviously I shouldn't assume anything When he's at work I look forward to the help on his days off... But when he's here... I cant wait for him to get back to work!

I like the idea of him "making" his own food whilst I cook. He's just started dipping his spoon in things so I think he'd really enjoy it.

Wait a minute...
    The first three, two years apart?!!!! I take my hat off to you, you must be Superwoman!! Wow.xx

6. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:) I think all of us moms can relate to your post at one point or another!

7. renthus Well Known Member Member

This actually made my day (and it's only 10:20!).

Just remember, in a couple years, your kid starts having to do chores ;)

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

If he actually feels bad, then he's a keeper! ;)

9. Slug Well Known Member Member

Some men just can't grasp the concept of give and take, and responsibilities. Don't group us all into this category! Sometimes I feel like I need....or want more. Keeps me busy, idle hands you know. I know if I had a kid I wouldn't be wasting time on a game system, can't get those years back.

10. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I think that is a little more my point. He only gets one day off a week and spends it like he did before he had a child. I expected him to grow up and enjoy spending time with our son (don't get me wrong, my son isn't neglected by him. they have an extremely loving relationship) yet he still insists on playing xbox all day! In a few years this will, I am sure, be great bonding for them but for now... Bobbie much prefers running around!

He's sulking because I am always nagging him. MAYBE IF HE DID SOMETHING I WOULDN'T HAVE TO NAG!!!!!!!!! I have actually said the line "there's nothing else until breakfast now, it's on the side when you're ready". I shall repeat, he is 27.

@renthus Don't remind me that I will soon have two fully grown toddlers! By then, I'll have moved out. The 14 month old, Bobbie, actually feeds the fish, scrubs the floors, sweeps, dusts and throws his own dirty nappies in the bin... I'm already starting the training. He will make a great hubby one day (if I ever let him out of my sight!!)

Tomorrow is another day and I'm sure by the time he returns from work I will have sufficiently missed him and may allow him into the house ;)

11. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Well, you shouldn't have knocked that plant over.

Just kidding. I would just mention to him that it really bothered you and then explain why. Also, and I'm not saying you suggested this, but I don't think it's fair to say that some "men" are prone to bouts of laziness and an unwillingness to help out. I think some "people" are prone to bouts of laziness and an unwillingness to help out. I'm an absolute clean freak and would have been all over that mess before the dirt even settled.

12. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Absolutely. I must say, I quite often mutter "men!" but what i really mean is "my man pfft" haha. And I wouldn't mind bouts of laziness... It's constant at the moment :)

Is it too late to trade him in and swap him for you ;) ?x

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

By Hollie:

"He's sulking because I am always nagging him." If he would listen to you the first time you would not have to nag! LOL

My hats off to all of you parents! I'll just stick with Chef and my pups and fish. Hat Tipping.jpg

Ken :)

14. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Exactly! If our men did what we asked at the first time of asking there'd be no need for us to ask again.
    I've done my time my daughter is grown & married but I remember the tantrums well - not from her but her father lol

15. JennBoss6 Initiate Member

I feel you, I have 14 months old as well and yesterday, her target was toward the spinning cabinet and drawers. Open the drawers and pull every thing out! Last night I went to bathroom and I noticed bath toys in the toilet.

16. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Only the folded clothes though! Haha.

I just found my other half's electric toothbrush stuffed in there. He was meant to be watching Bob when this occurred. I definitely condisered just putting it back to prove a point but I fought the urge and threw it away!xx