Random water changes

1. Andrew Sackett

Andrew Sackett Member Member

Is it ok to do water changes out of boredom from what I know it can only help the fish and I usually only do about 20% when I say out of boredom it means I don't have Anything going on and would like to tend to my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It's fine, I often do more than one change a week on my tanks if I have time on my hands :)

3. P

Prep8611 Member Member

I dont see why it would be a problem as long as it's not too frequent and ur not freaking out your fish. I will randomly do a water change on my non scheduled day. I do 25 percent water changes on my tanks every Thursday but sometimes i do an extra one on Monday if im feeling bored and want to feel productive.

4. Linda4088

Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

If I do a water change do I have to add anything other than API prime de-chlorinator? I have a planted tank and I had added live bacteria. Do I need to add that back in after the water change?

5. P

Prep8611 Member Member

Once ur cycled u dont need to add more bacteria for every water change. I only add a little TSS if im adding a new fish to decrease the time it takes for the bb to catch up.

6. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Doing it this way is fine, but I would test the water monthly to see if you are keeping up with the minimum needs of the tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Andrew Sackett

Andrew Sackett Member Member

I do still do weekly water changes or sometimes less than a week

8. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It's generally fine to do them as one-offs that supplement your normal weekly maintenance, but just be careful to keep the water that goes in as close as possible to the water that comes out.