Random Thoughts - Page 88

julifhy

I was looking through craigslist and I found these cool vintage books!

Is it worth getting them? I kind of want them because 1. I'm curious about how vintage fish care looked like, 2. they look kind of "aesthetic" lol, and 3. my bookshelf is empty

BettaBoi23 said:
Maybe I'll feed my betta a pea
Just a heads up, bettas can't digest peas. Daphnia is a much better option!

V1K

Cheesecake said:
Do you have vampire betta?
Uh, no, I don't have a betta and I'm not familiar with this breed, why do you ask?

Oh you mean in my country? Dunno, I'll google.

Prest12

V1K said:
Uh, no, I don't have a betta and I'm not familiar with this breed, why do you ask?

You can learn more about vampire bettas here: Vampire Betta
They’re really quite fascinating.

V1K

I see... Cheesecake, you troll! :mad:

julifhy

V1K said:

Be careful when looking for the vampire betta . . . It might end up finding YOU instead :eek:

Betta'sAnonymous

It's Friday, CONGRATULATIONS!! You made it!!

BettaBoi23

julifhy said:
I was looking through craigslist and I found these cool vintage books!

Is it worth getting them? I kind of want them because 1. I'm curious about how vintage fish care looked like, 2. they look kind of "aesthetic" lol, and 3. my bookshelf is empty

Just a heads up, bettas can't digest peas. Daphnia is a much better option!
Yes, I'm aware of that. But the closest pet store is out of daphnia.

Quiche

By this point, I'm fairly certain that AcornTheBetta has stock in MarcusFishTanks

Kribensis27

Quiche said:
By this point, I'm fairly certain that AcornTheBetta has stock in MarcusFishTanks
Sounds about right

Prest12

Note to self: don’t feed shrimp pellets during the day. The danio will find a way to eat every one of them.

AcornTheBetta

Does anyone have pc case recommendations? I would like a case with RGB fans or other parts.

Frisbee

I didn’t like the raycons and I sent them back.

Prest12

Why does a week have to be seven days? Anytime I want to create a schedule, I’m reminded that seven is a prime number, and there’s no good way to split it.

Kribensis27

Frisbee said:
I didn’t like the raycons and I sent them back.
The YouTubers have officially sentenced thee to death! Step fourth at once and receive your punishment!

Frisbee

Kribensis27 said:
The YouTubers have officially sentenced thee to death! Step fourth at once and receive your punishment!
Raycon actually has a really nice return policy. There is a 45 day money-back guarantee. It was even easier then returning a product to Amazon. I told raycon I didn’t really like them, so they gave me a pre-paid label, I put the earbuds back in the box they came in, stuck the label on and put it in the mailbox. All expenses paid. Raycon doesn’t even charge you for tax, they pay it themselves.

The earbuds themselves were pretty decent. They are really small and very comfortable, I just didn’t like the sound. They are REALLY bass heavy, which tends to make instruments and voice sound really small and unclear. They are great for listening to EDM, dubstep, etc, but since I listen primarily to instrumental stuff and modern cinematic orchestral music, they didn’t really work for me.

Prest12

Looks like the dollar per gallon sale just started if anyone’s interested.

Frisbee

I’m still depressed from having to put one of my fish down.

V1K

Somehow, having an aquarium, which is not that noisy on itself, running in the room amplifies all the equipment noises from all around the house. I'd be like "Why the heck my filter got so noisy all of the sudden?", I get paranoid that it's about to break, then I turn it off for a second and it turns out it was a neighbours' laundry machine, a vacuum, or whatever else they're running - which, by itself, also isn't that noisy. Yet somehow when you add those two barely noticeable noises, you get quite an audible buzz. I guess it resonates or something. Or it makes me more mindful about the noises, idk.

Frisbee

Is putting a little school of cherry shrimp in my 29 gallon a bad idea? It stays at 76° and my little Oranda is pretty docile, I don’t think he would eat shrimp. I was thinking it would be cool to have a little school of shrimp, but I never know, that might be a terrible idea.

V1K

Frisbee said:
Is putting a little school of cherry shrimp in my 29 gallon a bad idea? It stays at 76° and my little Oranda is pretty docile, I don’t think he would eat shrimp. I was thinking it would be cool to have a little school of shrimp, but I never know, that might be a terrible idea.
What's the environment like? The amount of plants, hiding places? The fish will almost definitely eat some, but the question is what will happen more often - your fish hunting down shrimp, or new shrimp being born? I'd say buy low grade or cullings and see what happens.

Frisbee

V1K said:
What's the environment like? The amount of plants, hiding places? The fish will almost definitely eat some, but the question is what will happen more often - your fish hunting down shrimp, or new shrimp being born? I'd say buy low grade or cullings and see what happens.
This is a current picture of the tank, but I want to put a wall of jungle vals in the back and cover the rocks with Java moss before I get shrimp. I’m treating my little Oranda for parasites at the moment, but I was thinking of getting shrimp in a few weeks after the treatment is done and I’ve got more plants.

I’ve found this goldfish to be very gentle. Most people tell you not to mix goldfish with plants and snails, but this little guy has never bothered either. He never digs up my plants or bothers the snails.

V1K

Frisbee said:
This is a current picture of the tank, but I want to put a wall of jungle vals in the back and cover the rocks with Java moss before I get shrimp. I’m treating my little Oranda for parasites at the moment, but I was thinking of getting shrimp in a few weeks after the treatment is done and I’ve got more plants.
I’ve found this goldfish to be very gentle. Most people tell you not to mix goldfish with plants and snails, but this little guy has never bothered either. He never digs up my plants or bothers the snails.
Definitely needs more plants. They will like that stone pile. I have lots of stones, and my shrimp hide from rosy barbs there quite a lot. Good for moulting.

Frisbee

Ah okay, dentist appointment. Gotcha

Time for other random thoughts.

What plants should I add to my 29 gallon? Beside the Val idea, I’m tryna think what else would look good in here. I think I need more sand too.... hmmm

Do vals need root ferts?

V1K

Frisbee said:
What plants should I add to my 29 gallon? Beside the Val idea, I’m tryna think what else would look good in here. I think I need more sand too.... hmmm

Do vals need root ferts?
I think vals is a good idea, they would match the crypt texture while contrasting its colour thus creating pleasing composition. I like my corkscrew vals, they don't get crazy tall, great choice for a tank this size, and look quite unique with those spiraling leaves. Vals are root feeders, so they definitely would prefer root ferts, but they're also very adaptive, so I think they can do without it, just won't be growing as fast as they normally would. And yeah, you definitely need more substrate or they'll get uprooted, if not by fish then by you during maintenance, and won't grow well. I'd plant vals to the background and the sides (to hide all that equipment), then I'd want something short for the front. Not sure what it could be. Dwarf sag maybe, would somewhat match the vals... You said you want shrimp, and shrimp like Java moss... You could add some to that stone pile around the crypt. What level of light do you have?

Frisbee

V1K said:
I think vals is a good idea, they would match the crypt texture while contrasting its colour thus creating pleasing composition. I like my corkscrew vals, they don't get crazy tall, great choice for a tank this size, and look quite unique with those spiraling leaves. Vals are root feeders, so they definitely would prefer root ferts, but they're also very adaptive, so I think they can do without it, just won't be growing as fast as they normally would. And yeah, you definitely need more substrate or they'll get uprooted, if not by fish then by you during maintenance, and won't grow well. I'd plant vals to the background and the sides (to hide all that equipment), then I'd want something short for the front. Not sure what it could be. Dwarf sag maybe, would somewhat match the vals... You said you want shrimp, and shrimp like Java moss... You could add some to that stone pile around the crypt. What level of light do you have?
Oo, corkscrew vals are a good idea.
I’ve got some Java moss starts wedged in the rock, they just haven’t filled in yet. The light was some cheap full spectrum planted tank light I found on Amazon for like $25 (aquaneat I think?) It’s probably medium light in the tank.

Edit: found the light on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/AQUANEAT-Aquarium-Light-Spectrum-Multi-Color/dp/B07G91L6FV?th=1&psc=1

So, supposedly Hikari prazipro gets clumps in it if it goes bad.

I held a flashlight under the bottle and saw this... these are just air bubbles... right?
I’m a little scared, because I already used it in one of my tanks. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see. Worst thing that could happen is that it doesn’t work I guess.

V1K

I was thinking about getting 2 more hillstream loaches for my tank. I thought all LFS are closed due to lockdown, but yesterday I found out that the one that sells them is not, somehow. I wrote them on Facebook to ask if they still have them, and they said yes. I said OK, I'll come tomorrow, which was "seen", but they didn't reply. So I go there today, and apparently they don't work on Wednesday. And their parking lot is closed. And all the other parking lots have boom barriers too. So I'm stuck in a driveway, there are trucks trying to get to one of the restricted parking lots, beeping at me, and I'm completely at loss what to do. Somehow they got through, THIS CLOSE from my mirror. Then I finally turned around, which took me three back-and-forths.

PS happy birthday to me!

StarGirl

V1K said:
I was thinking about getting 2 more hillstream loaches for my tank. I thought all LFS are closed due to lockdown, but yesterday I found out that the one that sells them is not, somehow. I wrote them on Facebook to ask if they still have them, and they said yes. I said OK, I'll come tomorrow, which was "seen", but they didn't reply. So I go there today, and apparently they don't work on Wednesday. And their parking lot is closed. And all the other parking lots have boom barriers too. So I'm stuck in a driveway, there are trucks trying to get to one of the restricted parking lots, beeping at me, and I'm completely at loss what to do. Somehow they got through, THIS CLOSE from my mirror. Then I finally turned around, which took me three back-and-forths.

PS happy birthday to me!
Happy Birthday!

Frisbee

Sooo... I was soaking some freeze dried bloodworms to give to my betta. I had them sitting in a little plastic container soaking in some tank water while I was doing some maintenance on the tank. I look down where I set the container of soaking bloodworms, and my cat lifts her face out of the empty container and licks her lips. I guess my cat likes bloodworms.

Here is the guilty one...

NevermindIgnoreMe

Frisbee said:
Sooo... I was soaking some freeze dried bloodworms to give to my betta. I had them sitting in a little plastic container soaking in some tank water while I was doing some maintenance on the tank. I look down where I set the container of soaking bloodworms, and my cat lifts her face out of the empty container and licks her lips. I guess my cat likes bloodworms.

Here is the guilty one...
My cat loves fish food of any kind lol. As well as tank water. He much prefers tank water over tap, I'm guessing because it's closer to drinking out of a stream and tap tastes weirder.

Betta'sAnonymous

It's Friday! CONGRATULATIONS!! You made it!

Frisbee

Betta'sAnonymous said:
It's Friday! CONGRATULATIONS!! You made it!
But this is a depressing Friday because all my fish are gone (except count Rosencross the betta). It is so hard just staring at and empty tank and not seeing them wiggling up to the glass to say good morning and begging for food.

Idk if AqAdvisor is having issues or what is going on, but it says 2 honey gouramis, a school of harlequin rasboras and a school of crystal shrimp are not compatible with zebra nerite snails... I’m confused.:confused:

Edit: ah, I figured it out, it was the ph difference between the crystal shrimp and the nerite snails. I changed it to cherry shrimp and it worked.

Frisbee

Soooo... I had an impulse buy today. See, I live in a small town with no good pet stores. There is one little farm and garden store, and they only sold bettas (in cups) and comet goldfish... pretty much like a low budget Walmart... until now. I went in there to look at something, to find that they had completely expanded their aquarium section. The whole back wall was covered in tanks. They even had shrimp!!!! I was so excited. I completely forgot to get the item I went in there to look at, and impulse bought three red cherry shrimp and an orange Sunkist.

They had kuli loaches, lampeye tetras, a panda loach, cichlids, snowball shrimp, green jades, blue velvets, orange sunkists, red cherries, angel fish, gouramis, the lady even told me she could special order any kind of aquatic plant I wanted! It was so glorious!

They also expanded the reptile section. They had an assortment of frogs, geckos, snakes etc.

Now I have a decent pet store within walking or biking distance.

Photos of my new shrimps. They are so cute. As soon as I got home I had to thaw out cube of snello and boil up a bunch of spinach and mushrooms for them (cause y’all know I’ve gotta spoil them). It was hard to take pictures though because I have the lights dimmed a lot to keep things low stress.

I went to take a picture of the orange Sunkist and one of the cherries fighting over a piece of carrot, but I think the rabbit snails face in the background is more priceless.

V1K

Frisbee said:
Soooo... I had an impulse buy today. See, I live in a small town with no good pet stores. There is one little farm and garden store, and they only sold bettas (in cups) and comet goldfish... pretty much like a low budget Walmart... until now. I went in there to look at something, to find that they had completely expanded their aquarium section. The whole back wall was covered in tanks. They even had shrimp!!!! I was so excited. I completely forgot to get the item I went in there to look at, and impulse bought three red cherry shrimp and an orange Sunkist.

They had kuli loaches, lampeye tetras, a panda loach, cichlids, snowball shrimp, green jades, blue velvets, orange sunkists, red cherries, angel fish, gouramis, the lady even told me she could special order any kind of aquatic plant I wanted! It was so glorious!

They also expanded the reptile section. They had an assortment of frogs, geckos, snakes etc.

Now I have a decent pet store within walking or biking distance.

Photos of my new shrimps. They are so cute. As soon as I got home I had to thaw out cube of snello and boil up a bunch of spinach and mushrooms for them (cause y’all know I’ve gotta spoil them). It was hard to take pictures though because I have the lights dimmed a lot to keep things low stress.

I went to take a picture of the orange Sunkist and one of the cherries fighting over a piece of carrot, but I think the rabbit snails face in the background is more priceless.
So sunkist is a shrimp colour? I thought it was some fish I haven't heard about, so imagine my confusion when I googled it and it showed me a can of soda

Frisbee

V1K said:
So sunkist is a shrimp colour? I thought it was some fish I haven't heard about, so imagine my confusion when I googled it and it showed me a can of soda
Orange Sunkist shrimp, also known as orange bee shrimp.

This is what google pops up.

Prest12

My rainbow fry are growing up to be just like their piggy parents. Of all the pieces of food I put in the tank, they go straight for the one twice the size of their mouths.

Also, y’all are making me want shrimp.

Frisbee

What do you call the color variant of ramshorn snail that has a jade shell and a sort of purply/red body?

Frisbee

I told myself I wasn’t going to do it. I didn’t want goldfish again, they are just to hard, I’m setting up a community tank I said...
But I couldn’t help myself. The LFS had the cutest little black Ranchu. I told myself I wasn’t gonna get him, but I went home and couldn’t stop thinking about his cute little face, the Ranchu wiggles. Welp, two days later, still thinking about him, so I called the LFS to see it he was still there, and they said they still had him.

So.... they are holding him for me and I’m gonna pick him up in a couple days once I get more sand for my tank.ops: I have a serious problem, I just can’t get away from goldfish, I love them to much.
NevermindIgnoreMe

Frisbee

Okay, I finished adding the sand to the tank, and since I new he was at the store waiting for me, I just couldn’t wait till tomorrow to go pick him up. Here he is. He’s super tiny and he’s still acclimating, but he’s soooo cute! I did a big waterchange earlier today and added 3 tablespoons of salt (pre-dissolved in some tank water) and a dose of praziquantel, so hopefully he won’t catch anything. The store tank was pretty cold though, so I hope the temperature change won’t shock him to much. I’ll probably leave him in the bag for quite some time. Edit: checked the bag temp and it’s about 69-70° I think. The tank temp is 76°, so I’m hoping it won’t stress him out too much.

AcornTheBetta

Frisbee said:
Okay, I finished adding the sand to the tank, and since I new he was at the store waiting for me, I just couldn’t wait till tomorrow to go pick him up. Here he is. He’s super tiny and he’s still acclimating, but he’s soooo cute! I did a big waterchange earlier today and added 3 tablespoons of salt (pre-dissolved in some tank water) and a dose of praziquantel, so hopefully he won’t catch anything. The store tank was pretty cold though, so I hope the temperature change won’t shock him to much. I’ll probably leave him in the bag for quite some time. Edit: checked the bag temp and it’s about 69-70° I think. The tank temp is 76°, so I’m hoping it won’t stress him out too much.
OMG I LOVE HIM! He looks so cute and majestic lol.

Frisbee

AcornTheBetta said:
OMG I LOVE HIM! He looks so cute and majestic lol.
I know, right?! He’s so adorable.

Does anyone have any name ideas?

Edit: I finished acclimating him into the tank, but he’s pretty scared of me, so I’m leaving him alone and not taking any pictures yet.

Edit:
I’m a little concerned. I think he’s pretty stressed out. Acclimating to a new tank and completely new environment was a bit much. He’s been super freaked out and scared of me and zipping around like a maniac, and when I leave the room he just sits on the substrate in the corner. I had the lights dimmed before, and now I turned them off completely. Unfortunately I ran out of stress coat. I’m not really sure what to do right other than just leave him alone and let him get used to his new surroundings.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Frisbee said:

Edit: I finished acclimating him into the tank, but he’s pretty scared of me, so I’m leaving him alone and not taking any pictures yet.

Edit:
I’m a little concerned. I think he’s pretty stressed out. Acclimating to a new tank and completely new environment was a bit much. He’s been super freaked out and scared of me and zipping around like a maniac, and when I leave the room he just sits on the substrate in the corner. I had the lights dimmed before, and now I turned them off completely. Unfortunately I ran out of stress coat. I’m not really sure what to do right other than just leave him alone and let him get used to his new surroundings.
I love him! I'm so glad you decided not to give up on goldfish. I just got a new ranchu a while ago too! He's like your ranchus twin, small and dark black. Mine's name is Max, after a certain Jewish fist fighter, I also like Onyx, Coal, and Inky. I'll probably think of more later.
That's pretty common, just give him some time. Remember to keep things in the room calm if possibly on the first day or two. Sit by the tank, just to let him get used to you. Ect.
On a sadder subject, I have one fish in quarantine who isn't doing so well. Stressed and weak, now emaciated, she is clamping fins and bottom sitting. I don't have much hope. She's got some serious infections, but treatment only stresses her more. Here's hoping and praying my little black moore can make it through.

Frisbee

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I love him! I'm so glad you decided not to give up on goldfish. I just got a new ranchu a while ago too! He's like your ranchus twin, small and dark black. Mine's name is Max, after a certain Jewish fist fighter, I also like Onyx, Coal, and Inky. I'll probably think of more later.
That's pretty common, just give him some time. Remember to keep things in the room calm if possibly on the first day or two. Sit by the tank, just to let him get used to you. Ect.
On a sadder subject, I have one fish in quarantine who isn't doing so well. Stressed and weak, now emaciated, she is clamping fins and bottom sitting. I don't have much hope. She's got some serious infections, but treatment only stresses her more. Here's hoping and praying my little black moore can make it through.
Awww, I hope she does better, and if she doesn’t make it I hope she doesn’t have to go through to much pain.

The little Ranchu seems to be doing a little better. He’s now exploring the tank somewhat normally. He’s still scared of me though, if he notices me move, he will dart to the back of the tank. It’s pretty normal though, my last Ranchu was the same way when I got him. It only took a few weeks of bloodworms and mysis shrimp feedings for him to realize he liked me, lol.

Also, the little black Ranchu is completely ignoring the shrimp as he explores, which is good. I was hoping they would get along.

Frisbee

Morning update: He seems to be doing good. He’s happily exploring the tank still. I turned the lights on this morning, but I put them on dimmers so it wouldn’t stress him out. He’s a little scared of me still, but I was able to get close enough to take some photos of him sifting through the sand. He’s super cute.

Edit: I fed him some frozen mysis shrimp this morning, and oh my goodness, he’s soooo cute when he eats! It’s so funny watching him get all excited and wiggle around looking for more.

Frisbee

It’s 64° In the house right now. I have a sweater and a beanie on and I’m curled up in a blanket. My dad is in a T-shirt and says he’s hot and it’s stuffy and wants to open up the windows. Ugh, (this is our household all the time btw).

I’m like, nooooo, it’s freezing. C’mon, I wanna turn the heater on.:mad:

AcornTheBetta

Frisbee said:

Maybe Pinto since you called him a chubby bean lol

Kribensis27

AcornTheBetta said:
Nah Jeffery is a more bean-like name

Frisbee

AcornTheBetta said:
Yes, my brother suggested we call him Mr. bean as a joke, but it’s the only thing that stuck. Then my dad said he looked like a licorice jelly bean, so I’ve been calling him my chubby little jelly bean all day, lol.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Love the name lol so cute.

V1K

Frisbee said:
It’s 64° In the house right now. I have a sweater and a beanie on and I’m curled up in a blanket. My dad is in a T-shirt and says he’s hot and it’s stuffy and wants to open up the windows. Ugh, (this is our household all the time btw).

I’m like, nooooo, it’s freezing. C’mon, I wanna turn the heater on.:mad:
I have a friend who's parents are like that, keeping their house freezing cold all the time. She actually has her own place, but they nagged her into staying with them in another city during the lockdown, and now is freezing her bum there for the second month already because she went there along with her betta and guinea pig and has no car so she can only come back when they take her back.

I couldn't live like this, anything below 74 is discomfort.

Frisbee

V1K said:
I have a friend who's parents are like that, keeping their house freezing cold all the time. She actually has her own place, but they nagged her into staying with them in another city during the lockdown, and now is freezing her bum there for the second month already because she went there along with her betta and guinea pig and has no car so she can only come back when they take her back.

I couldn't live like this, anything below 74 is discomfort.
Well, 64° is cold for me, but I’m pretty used to 68° or so being room temperature, so 68° is fairly comfortable for me. I’ve been in a temperate region my whole life and we usually just used a wood stove to heat the house, so it was rarely above 72°. Anything above 73° and I feel uncomfortable.

I live in Idaho right now, and in the winter it gets below 20° outside sometimes. I think the other night it was like 17° outside, lol, so it makes 68° or so feel quite warm in comparison.

Still... 64° is... cold.
It’s actually 60° right now, I’m freezing. I should probably go turn a heater on, but I don’t want to crawl out of my blankets, lol.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom