Random Thoughts - Page 79

Kribensis27

I just don’t like glofish in general. The colors are kinda ugly. They’re basically a magnet for Karen’s five year old and a 0.5 gallon cup sitting by a window sill. I just kind of pity their existence because of that. It makes me sad when I see them and think about how abused they are. With veil tail bettas, I feel similarly, however I see a huge community of people here who do their best to spread the word for proper betta care. That gives me a little hope for humanity at least. But with glofish, I see almost no one with them in a proper setup. I think they would be cool fish if they didn’t make me sad every time I look at them.

AcornTheBetta

Kribensis27 said:
I just don’t like glofish in general. The colors are kinda ugly. They’re basically a magnet for Karen’s five year old and a 0.5 gallon cup sitting by a window sill. I just kind of pity their existence because of that. It makes me sad when I see them and think about how abused they are. With veil tail bettas, I feel similarly, however I see a huge community of people here who do their best to spread the word for proper betta care. That gives me a little hope for humanity at least. But with glofish, I see almost no one with them in a proper setup. I think they would be cool fish if they didn’t make me sad every time I look at them.
I agree with everything you just said. I also don't really like the look of veiltail bettas either... I don't like that the tail is droopy...

Kribensis27

AcornTheBetta said:
I agree with everything you just said. I also don't really like the look of veiltail bettas either... I don't like that the tail is droopy...
I always wonder why people bred them like that. “Hey, ya know what kids want these days? Fins. Well I can do fins. I can do so much fin the fish can barely swim anymore! Who needs a swimming fish anyway.” And now we have veil tails. I always go for female or plakat if I can. They’re much more active since they don’t have 3x the amount of fins holding them back.

AcornTheBetta

Kribensis27 said:
I always wonder why people bred them like that. “Hey, ya know what kids want these days? Fins. Well I can do fins. I can do so much fin the fish can barely swim anymore! Who needs a swimming fish anyway.” And now we have veil tails. I always go for female or plakat if I can. They’re much more active since they don’t have 3x the amount of fins holding them back.
Yeah. That was my biggest mistake, not going with a short fin.

Betta'sAnonymous

AquaBaby said:
Think I'll head to bed early tonight, get up a bit early so I can get to work early. I love the fact that I only work 2 days this week, but not sure how to fit a week's worth of work into 2 days. That is something that's eluded me for years. If anyone has figured it out, I'd love to know!!!!!
A lot of people only do 1 day worth of work most full weeks of work. Be one of them lol

AquaBaby

Betta'sAnonymous said:
A lot of people only do 1 day worth of work most full weeks of work. Be one of them lol
I'll tell the boss that's my new work ethic LOL

erinw347

They just sell olive (?) nerites as glo snails. They’re not actually fluorescent lol.

I kinda feel bad that I got my i think delta male. But in my defense, he was sold as a female!! and his fins weren’t as long back then.

Kribensis27

erinw347 said:
They just sell olive (?) nerites as glo snails. They’re not actually fluorescent lol.

I kinda feel bad that I got my i think delta male. But in my defense, he was sold as a female!! and his fins weren’t as long back then.
He’s pretty. I have nothing against long fin bettas, more just the people that purposely made them look like that. He looks happy!

Dippiedee

The good dinosaur is an awful film. Have you ever seen such a whiny, wimpy main character? 90% of his dialogue is just screaming

Frisbee

AcornTheBetta said:
I can't find Gloshrimp... Here's the glow nerites:
Those aren’t actually glo-snails. Those are just regular nerite snails. The only reason glo-fish is advertising them is because they are “compatible with all glo-fish”

Dippiedee

My partner was refilling the 425 after a water change and he knocked the pipe out of the tank and sprayed water on our TV and broke it

Bettybrown922

Dippiedee said:
My partner was refilling the 425 after a water change and he knocked the pipe out of the tank and sprayed water on our TV and broke it
Oh no!! That's awful!

Sputnik

Dippiedee said:
Well - he gets points for helping, but demerits for wrecking the tv. His penalty: teplacing the tv AND buying you another tank and stocking it ( for the emotional distress)

Dippiedee

New lines keep appearing and disappearing it's pretty annoying maybe we will get lucky with a black Friday deal replacement

Mii

where do you get giant tanks like a 425 and how much do they cost?

NoahLikesFish

What time is it

Mii said:
where do you get giant tanks like a 425 and how much do they cost?
You get one custom or you make it yourself

Dippiedee

I got mine from maidenhead aquatics during a sale for £700 which was the tank and the stand

Dippiedee

Being a part of this forum made me forget how uninformed casual fishkeepers or non fish people are about fish. Someone made a video on their bettas tank; heavily planted, driftwood, lots of tannins. And her comment section was full of people saying she was mistreating her betta because the water 'was dirty' *facepalm*

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
Being a part of this forum made me forget how uninformed casual fishkeepers or non fish people are about fish. Someone made a video on their bettas tank; heavily planted, driftwood, lots of tannins. And her comment section was full of people saying she was mistreating her betta because the water 'was dirty' *facepalm*
Well, remember, we are the outcasts here because most of us are "uber fish nerds"

Sputnik

Dippiedee said:
New lines keep appearing and disappearing it's pretty annoying maybe we will get lucky with a black Friday deal replacement
Amazon will deliver!

PascalKrypt

Dippiedee said:
My question is: what were you watching?

julifhy

Dippiedee said:
I forget too. I saw someone say the wish proper betta care was normalized and I said it was... unfortunately I forgot it’s not

Mii

julifhy said:
I forget too. I saw someone say the wish proper betta care was normalized and I said it was... unfortunately I forgot it’s not
When I started out I thought I understood what the nitrogen cycle was and what my water tests meant. But I didn't. When I started stocking my ten gallon, I had a massive ammonia spike, and since I didn't really know what ammonia did or how harmful it was, I had no idea why all my fish died.

Sputnik

Dippiedee said:
Yes, I find it amazing too! As fishkeepers we have the same responsibilities as zookeepers- to provide a habital that meets the biological and behavioral needs of the species we keep. That usually involves 1. Research and 2. A setting that is as much like their natural habitat as we can make it! Gobsmacked at how people expect that for animals kept at zoos but not for pet fish...

AquaBaby

AcornTheBetta

Burdigala

AcornTheBetta said:
Isn't quite there yet where I am...
It is for me.

Dippiedee

PascalKrypt said:
My question is: what were you watching?
Avengers end game lol

V1K

AquaBaby said:
Oh, so that's why I couldn't get any replies to my barb losing fin problem! I was pretty upset that one time I have legit problem everybody seems to be ignoring my thread, I didn't realize you have thanksgiving the next day.
Dippiedee said:
Avengers end game lol
At first glance yesterday I thought it was Stark building Iron Suit in a cave. Same franchise, wrong movie and character

Mii

Dippiedee

Happy Thanksgiving Americans

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
Happy Thanksgiving Americans
Now give me lots of food so i can trample people in the stores tomorrow!!

Dippiedee

A never ending story has the most infuriatingly catchy theme song

Edit: a never ending stooooooreeyyyyy. Uhuhuhuhuhuhuh.

Frisbee

Happy Thanksgiving peeps!!!

I’m thinking my goldfish should get frozen mysis shrimp (their favorite) for dinner because of the special occasion.

Betta'sAnonymous

So far today, i have lost my household championship titles for Old Maid, Crazy 8s, Go Fish and now Kings in the Corner....may have to. reak out Connect 4 and keep my honor intact!

Dippiedee

My youngest's dummy is completey see through so when she sucks it she looks like a pleco

Frisbee

The morning after thanksgiving is the best. All the good food, but cold and it lasts FOREVER!!!!

V1K

Dippiedee said:
My youngest's dummy is completey see through so when she sucks it she looks like a pleco
Never heard of a fish species called "dummy" . And it looks like a pleco. But is see through. Seriously no idea what you're talking about.

Dippiedee

V1K said:
Never heard of a fish species called "dummy" . And it looks like a pleco. But is see through. Seriously no idea what you're talking about.
Dummy is the english word for pacificer. So my baby's pacifier is completely see through, so she looks like a pleco when shes sucking on it

Dippiedee

Erm excuse me Betta'sAnonymous where was the congratulations for making it to friday post? Dont think because it was Thanksgiving you can take a day off

V1K

One of my hillstreams has some feathery strand stuck on its fin (no idea what it is, doesn't look like anything in a tank) and it triggers some OCD impulses in my brain. I wish I could just take it off.

ElAvayarde80

So random thought.... did anyone here took advantage on the fluval Fx6 deal that petsmart had yesterday?

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
Erm excuse me Betta'sAnonymous where was the congratulations for making it to friday post? Dont think because it was Thanksgiving you can take a day off
I was pretty busy and forgot! Guess i will modify it...

It's Saturday...CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it!!

Frisbee

I wanted the 75 gallon kit that was half off (regularly $499, but only $250 for Black Friday), but my family would not be happy. Plus, I don’t exactly have $250 dollars right now.

It would have been the perfect tank for my goldfish babies, but I guess I’ll just have to wait till next year... sigh.

maybe if I wait long enough, then enough siblings will move out to where I will have my own bedroom and be able to get that 75 for my goldies and turn my 29 gallon into a little reef for some clownfish or something.

Rockymountainstream

Frisbee said:
I wanted the 75 gallon kit that was half off (regularly $499, but only $250 for Black Friday), but my family would not be happy. Plus, I don’t exactly have $250 dollars right now.
That just gives you a year to save up and plan for next time. That being said it is frustrating for sure.

Frisbee

Rockymountainstream said:
That just gives you a year to save up and plan for next time. That being said it is frustrating for sure.
Yeah, not really frustrating (cause I already knew I couldn’t have it), but just sad... cause I already knew I couldn’t have it... Lol.

Betta'sAnonymous

Almost time for Thanksgiving Dinner, round 2.

ElAvayarde80

Frisbee said:

It would have been the perfect tank for my goldfish babies, but I guess I’ll just have to wait till next year... sigh.

maybe if I wait long enough, then enough siblings will move out to where I will have my own bedroom and be able to get that 75 for my goldies and turn my 29 gallon into a little reef for some clownfish or something.
If you check on Letgo, or CL you will find 75g tank, stand with tops and probably more for less than 250...you just have to look

Rockymountainstream

Yesterday, was a year since I got my 60 gallon tall. I had inherited 4 gold fish from my wife's uncle who had died. The 4 goldes were supposed to be feeders for my wife's uncle's Oscars that died. He sold his display tank and gear but kept the 4 gallon feeder tank. The uncle then got sick with cancer and died. That is how I got back in to the fish keeping hobby. Since then I had to do some remodeling and add some electrical outlet where I wanted to setup my tank. After all that was done and 4 were added things went well for about a month and a half. I tried to add two more fish that had ICK (unknown to me at the time). Inspite of all my efforts, all but one gold fish died. The only bright side to this outbreak is in the effort to treat the ICK is that I found fishlore. After reading alot of post and resources I quickly figured out what I was doing wrong. After making some adjustments and more research I got some more fish that are doing good. I have one gold fish, one BN pleco, and 3 kuhli. I know that the combination is a little strange. However I slowly raised the temp over about two months before getting the warmer water fish (75.0- 74.5 F ). All are thriving and not just surviving. The biggest thing I have learned so far is the balance of it all and the adjustments that need to be made. I did put a few live plants in and now I am on my way to slowly rearranging everything ( less fake more real) I am sharing this as appreciation for all the help I received to get me to this point. Thanks

Frisbee

ElAvayarde80 said:
If you check on Letgo, or CL you will find 75g tank, stand with tops and probably more for less than 250...you just have to look
Yeah, but most of them are nearly the same price, and they are used and often already filled with water and a pain to pick up. Sometimes there is a good find, but other times it’s just better to get a new tank (especially when it’s Black Friday and half off).

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom