Random Thoughts - Page 78

V1K

Dippiedee said:
Well I dug out a little trench in the sand underneath some driftwood intended as a hide for the shrimp to get away from Prince but um...
That's a bit like when I tried to prevent rosy barbs from taking algae wafers away from hillstream loaches by sticking them inside a stone pile. Turns out barbs feel perfectly comfortable in tight closed spaces. There's no space they won't go. Next thing they'll learnt to bury themselves in a substrate, like trumpet snails.
NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Don't you love how cats aren't disgusting, attention demanding, overjoyed dunces obsessed with licking your face? Because I do.
No need to badmouth about dogs, they have their merits (they're definitely not dunces - on average they're smarter than cats). I'm a cat person through and through, and dogs are way too intense and require more attention than I'm willing to give, but that doesn't mean they're objectively worse pets. I think dogs are for extraverts, and cats are for introverts, with loads of exceptions to this general tendency.

Dippiedee

I wish people would stop referring to 1 or even 2 gallons as 'tanks'. That's not a tank that's a tupperware

Betta'sAnonymous

Dippiedee said:
I wish people would stop referring to 1 or even 2 gallons as 'tanks'. That's not a tank that's a tupperware
I have drink cups bigger than that.

Found out this morning my sister found her betta, dead in the tank. His name was Dijon and he was a bummble bee betta. SIP, little dude.

CHJ

My favorite Asian grocery is remodeling. Live section is getting huge. So much win.
My wife is eating some sort of whelks (Lightning?) right now that I had her prepare like escargot. Those shells make me again think I need to do a shell dweller tank. I wonder how long I have to soak salt shells for fresh water use? It would be the prettiest shell dweller tank around.
They have live king crabs. I do not know if Nibbles will ever get big enough to eat one of those. If he gets to 36-48" and it is his birthday, maybe.

NevermindIgnoreMe

V1K said:
That's a bit like when I tried to prevent rosy barbs from taking algae wafers away from hillstream loaches by sticking them inside a stone pile. Turns out barbs feel perfectly comfortable in tight closed spaces. There's no space they won't go. Next thing they'll learnt to bury themselves in a substrate, like trumpet snails.

No need to badmouth about dogs, they have their merits (they're definitely not dunces - on average they're smarter than cats). I'm a cat person through and through, and dogs are way too intense and require more attention than I'm willing to give, but that doesn't mean they're objectively worse pets. I think dogs are for extraverts, and cats are for introverts, with loads of exceptions to this general tendency.
I was just a little frustrated with my dog at the moment. Well take that back, he's frustrating often. My family dog is...he's just not very smart. On the other hand I do have a very smart cat. I totally get where you're coming from though. Dogs just aren't for me, and I got stuck part time caring for one against my will, while my tank got postponed, and still is. Despite the fact that I clearly stated my preference for the latter.

Betta'sAnonymous

Heck...was all excited because my new aquarium heater was delivered today. Got home from work and could hear the broken glass rattling around before i even opened the package.

julifhy

CHJ said:
My favorite Asian grocery is remodeling. Live section is getting huge. So much win.
My wife is eating some sort of whelks (Lightning?) right now that I had her prepare like escargot. Those shells make me again think I need to do a shell dweller tank. I wonder how long I have to soak salt shells for fresh water use? It would be the prettiest shell dweller tank around.
They have live king crabs. I do not know if Nibbles will ever get big enough to eat one of those. If he gets to 36-48" and it is his birthday, maybe.
If you do get a shell dweller tank, make sure to post a picture! I would love to see it
Also, who's Nibbles?

NevermindIgnoreMe

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Bloody ****...was all excited because my new aquarium heater was delivered today. Got home from work and could hear the broken glass rattling around before i even opened the package.
Uuuuugh that's the worst...it makes me cringe just thinking about it. That's why I only buy shatter-proof now, never going back.

Betta'sAnonymous

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Uuuuugh that's the worst...it makes me cringe just thinking about it. That's why I only buy shatter-proof now, never going back.
I will most likely stick to "in store" only.

julifhy

Betta'sAnonymous said:
I will most likely stick to "in store" only.
Where did you buy your heater from? I got mine off of Chewy and the shipping was really fast and it came unharmed lol

Betta'sAnonymous

julifhy said:
Where did you buy your heater from? I got mine off of Chewy and the shipping was really fast and it came unharmed lol
Amazon. Had no problem with heaters before. But this time they shipped with UPS instead of the Prime vans.

Was a marineland 200 watt heater too...caught on sale for 17.99. Shoulda known that was too good to be true lol

julifhy

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Was a marineland 200 watt heater too...caught on sale for 17.99. Shoulda known that was too good to be true lol
Where you able to get a refund at least?

My filter is buzzing again
It drives me crazy. I need complete silence to sleep lol.

V1K

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
Dogs just aren't for me, and I got stuck part time caring for one against my will, while my tank got postponed, and still is. Despite the fact that I clearly stated my preference for the latter.
Oh, getting stuck with a pet you didn't actually want justifies the bad disposition. How did that happen?
julifhy said:
Maybe earplugs would help? My filter and compressor are quiet, their hum is quite pleasant and most of the time I fall asleep with no problem, but then I wake up after a few hours of sleep and I'm like, I don't want to hear it anymore, so I plug my ears and go back to sleep. I've noticed that I'm much more sensitive to sounds when I've already slept for a while than right after I go to bed. Earplugs are a huge help against all sorts of annoying sounds, like neighbours who get up earlier, cat breathing too loudly, etc.

Dippiedee

Earplugs are also great for partners who rattle the windows when they snore.

I cant even relax in silence let alone sleep. I need white noise, I keep all my filter outputs above the water line when possible I love the sound

Betta'sAnonymous

julifhy said:
Where you able to get a refund at least?

Yup

Hugooo

Me too, I absolutely love the hum of the filter and the bubbles from the air stone. I hate going to sleep in complete silence, so they're perfect for me.

Betta'sAnonymous

Hugooo said:
Me too, I absolutely love the hum of the filter and the bubbles from the air stone. I hate going to sleep in complete silence, so they're perfect for me.
My fan runs on high 365 nights a year

MaximumRide14

I think I adapted to sleeping with a pillow over my head because of all my fish tanks lol. But I'm starting to break down most of my tanks so it's getting a little less noisy.

NevermindIgnoreMe

V1K said:
Oh, getting stuck with a pet you didn't actually want justifies the bad disposition. How did that happen?

Maybe earplugs would help? My filter and compressor are quiet, their hum is quite pleasant and most of the time I fall asleep with no problem, but then I wake up after a few hours of sleep and I'm like, I don't want to hear it anymore, so I plug my ears and go back to sleep. I've noticed that I'm much more sensitive to sounds when I've already slept for a while than right after I go to bed. Earplugs are a huge help against all sorts of annoying sounds, like neighbours who get up earlier, cat breathing too loudly, etc.
I don't hate dogs, I just don't want one. My family really wanted a dog, I was hesitant/gave little support, but I didn't outright say "No I don't want a dog. ", because we made up a care schedule that we all consented to where I did little, which I (and everyone else) thought was fair considering I wasn't the one pushing for the dog. During this time when everyone but me and my dad were pushing for a dog, I was campaigning for a tank, they asked if I wanted it more than the dog, and I made myself clear that I didn't really want a dog, I really wanted a tank.

Well, fast forward a few months, we have a new dog, and apparently they abolished the previous contract in favor of an evenly divided one (three, four hour shifts caring for the dog however he needs, mine is 12-4 every day), except I did the extra little stuff I did in the original too. And I haven't got my tank yet (several set backs, then I was ready, and now we're moving...). It's been over a year.
So that is why I am annoyed with my dog, who happens to be, well, not very smart, and also smells like a dog. And pees on my, and only my rug every chance he can get!
Snail update: I have named my golden mystery Sherbet. Or "sherbert" as my grandmother calls it. He is getting along nicely with Sparkles, who often watches him in wonder, and hasn't even eaten off one antenna as of yesterday, can tell rn but I assume he's still whole. Currently is munching a dead leaf.

V1K

NevermindIgnoreMe said:
I don't hate dogs, I just don't want one. My family really wanted a dog, I was hesitant/gave little support, but I didn't outright say "No I don't want a dog. ", because we made up a care schedule that we all consented to where I did little, which I (and everyone else) thought was fair considering I wasn't the one pushing for the dog. During this time when everyone but me and my dad were pushing for a dog, I was campaigning for a tank, they asked if I wanted it more than the dog, and I made myself clear that I didn't really want a dog, I really wanted a tank.

Well, fast forward a few months, we have a new dog, and apparently they abolished the previous contract in favor of an evenly divided one (three, four hour shifts caring for the dog however he needs, mine is 12-4 every day), except I did the extra little stuff I did in the original too. And I haven't got my tank yet (several set backs, then I was ready, and now we're moving...). It's been over a year.
So that is why I am annoyed with my dog, who happens to be, well, not very smart, and also smells like a dog. And pees on my, and only my rug every chance he can get!
Snail update: I have named my golden mystery Sherbet. Or "sherbert" as my grandmother calls it. He is getting along nicely with Sparkles, who often watches him in wonder, and hasn't even eaten off one antenna as of yesterday, can tell rn but I assume he's still whole. Currently is munching a dead leaf.
Your family is unfair, and you should try being more strict about it. Sure, since you live with parents they might go for the classic "don't like our rules, get your own place" move. Still worth trying though. If I even get a boyfriend with a dog or something, I'll be strict, like I'll love this dog and I'll treat it right, but you're the one walking it, I don't care, not my problem. With exceptions for illnesses, but that's it.

Dippiedee

You know when you find of you've been singing completely the wrong lyrics to a song for years? Yeah no me neither...

Also, if you listen to Anastasia - Left Outside Alone with Jack Black in your mind, it sounds like hes singing it. (Chorus only)

Mii

I accidentally brought a spoon to my room before online class so I have to eat waffles with a spoon instead of a fork. it sucks.

Betta'sAnonymous

Mii said:
I accidentally brought a spoon to my room before online class so I have to eat waffles with a spoon instead of a fork. it sucks.
Must be higher than 1st world problems lol

Mii

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Must be higher than 1st world problems lol
this is at least a 5th or 6th word problem.

CHJ

julifhy said:
If you do get a shell dweller tank, make sure to post a picture! I would love to see it
Also, who's Nibbles?
Nibbles, old pic, he is bigger now.

nibbles602.jpg

Kribensis27

CHJ said:
Is he a mbu or fahaka puffer?

AggressiveAquatics

CHJ said:
OMG I’m soooooo jealous I’ve always wanted a fahaka puffer. What size tank do you have him in?

Dippiedee

Dont you hate when you get a spare couple of hours so you turn the xbox on but everything needs to update, which takes up your spare couple of hours, so you dont get to actually play anything I miss the good old days when you put in a disc or a cartridge and away you go

julifhy

Here’s my random thought of the day:
There’s a really big difference between the tanks of people who view fish as “decorations” and the tanks of people who view fish as pets who need care.
It’s also the people with fish for “decoration” who have really tacky, dirty, tanks. How is that decorative?

Edit: I wanted to clarify that I'm not saying fish tanks can't be decorative. I definitely see my tank as decorative lol, but I'm talking about the people who see fish as "decoration" only

Betta'sAnonymous

julifhy said:
Here’s my random thought of the day:
There’s a really big difference between the tanks of people who view fish as “decorations” and the tanks of people who view fish as pets who need care.
It’s also the people with fish for “decoration” who have really tacky, dirty, tanks. How is that decorative?
Tacky is fun, though. If you can't have fun with something, or find fun in it, what's the point?

julifhy

Betta'sAnonymous said:
Tacky is fun, though. If you can't have fun with something, or find fun in it, what's the point?
I definitely agree with that! Idk know how to describe the tanks I'm talking about other than "tacky" though. I guess tacky might be the wrong word?
I wish I took a picture of the tank family friends of ours have. It's a 10 gallon tank, with rainforest background, dirty colored gravel... and a 6 inch goldfish... That's what I mean by "tacky"

I love planted tanks, but I also love the colorful tanks with pretty silk and other fish safe fake plants! I honestly don't mind colored gravel either... and now I'm getting yet another idea for a tank I'm not going to be able to get anytime soon lol

Edit: I remembered another example. I walked past a restaurant that had a HUGE fish tank (maybe 175 gallons?), but was still heavily over stocked with discus. It had no light, no gravel, or any decorations. I also have no idea when the last time they cleaned it was. It was pretty gross looking. This tank I wouldn't describe as tacky though. It's more of a weird "decoration" choice for especially for a restaurant

AquaBaby

I saw on Facebook that SaltwaterAquarium.com has some sort of giveaway coming up in about 20 minutes!

EDIT
Removed link; it's over.

Hoped some of y'all had a chance to join and even moreso that someone from Fishlore was one of the winners!!!!!

Betta'sAnonymous

julifhy said:
I definitely agree with that! Idk know how to describe the tanks I'm talking about other than "tacky" though. I guess tacky might be the wrong word?
I wish I took a picture of the tank family friends of ours have. It's a 10 gallon tank, with rainforest background, dirty colored gravel... and a 6 inch goldfish... That's what I mean by "tacky"

I love planted tanks, but I also love the colorful tanks with pretty silk and other fish safe fake plants! I honestly don't mind colored gravel either... and now I'm getting yet another idea for a tank I'm not going to be able to get anytime soon lol

Edit: I remembered another example. I walked past a restaurant that had a HUGE fish tank (maybe 175 gallons?), but was still heavily over stocked with discus. It had no light, no gravel, or any decorations. I also have no idea when the last time they cleaned it was. It was pretty gross looking. This tank I wouldn't describe as tacky though. It's more of a weird "decoration" choice for especially for a restaurant
The word that comes to mind in my head is "hideous". We have a chinese buffet that has a fish tank in their lobby. I remember that one being a questionable tank. The pediatric office has one in their waiting room as well, but that one i always remember as more tasteful. Maybe a tad overstocked though...all i remember from that one is they always have a type of pleco and a couple of angels.

LadfromLondon

Anyone else wonder what schooling fish talk about all day?

Betta'sAnonymous

It's Friday. CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it!!

LadfromLondon said:
"Oooh, look at that worm over there!! She is irresistable!!"
"Go get it, Larry!! You can do it!!!"
"Ok, guys, hold my beer!!"

V1K

LadfromLondon said:
I think 99% of my rosy barbs communication is classic teen dramma: relationships, love triangles, status within the gang, who's a jock, who's the most popular girl, etc. Basically, they don't school, they highschool. The remaining 1% is food.

Mii

corydoras are awesome. they just have such happy go lucky, active personalities. they're adorable. despite me having other, brighter colored fish in the tank, corydoras still often manage to be the center of attention. they just have really interesting social interactions. I think corydoras are smarter than some types of schooling fish that just mindlessly follow each other around all day. cories seem to actually have a more complex culture and individual personalities.

V1K

Just had a huge miscommunication with a guy because apparently in Lithuanian aquarium slang "trumpet snail" means a ramshorn snail... That's just so backwards

Mii

V1K said:
Just had a huge miscommunication with a guy because apparently in Lithuanian aquarium slang "trumpet snail" means a ramshorn snail... That's just so backwards
wait, WHAT?

Betta'sAnonymous

Gotta start looking for some driftwood so i can start soaking it and whatnot. I would rather it sinks when i set up the 45...figure getting as much done as i can with the scape before adding water...it's kind of deep

Dippiedee

Ugh today I was 'that guy'
There was a bloke in LFS buying 2 dwarf gourami and 4 mollies for his 10 gallon that already houses 2 mollies. I told him the gourami would fight and the woman working there said 'no they will be fine'

They will absolutely not be fine. But I didnt say anything else because it was obvious nobody would listen to me anyway

V1K

Dippiedee said:
Ugh today I was 'that guy'
There was a bloke in LFS buying 2 dwarf gourami and 4 mollies for his 10 gallon that already houses 2 mollies. I told him the gourami would fight and the woman working there said 'no they will be fine'

They will absolutely not be fine. But I didnt say anything else because it was obvious nobody would listen to me anyway
Pet store consultants are a force of evil meant to spread chaos and mysery. It's a tragedy that inexperienced people believe they have a shred of competency.

Dippiedee

V1K said:
Pet store consultants are a force of evil meant to spread chaos and mysery. It's a tragedy that inexperienced people believe they have a shred of competency.
She had to common sense to refuse to sell him the kissing gourami he originally wanted to buy for his 10 gallon... shame it didnt go any further than that

V1K

Dippiedee said:
She had to common sense to refuse to sell him the kissing gourami he originally wanted to buy for his 10 gallon... shame it didnt go any further than that
Oh well. At least you did what was in your power. Even if it didn't work, it was the right thing to do. Always be 'that guy'.

Betta'sAnonymous

Biggest joke of the weekend so far: last night i told my wife i was gonna kick back and relax today. So far, been awake 3 hrs, swept/vacced some of the house, assembled a shelving unit and have been cooking. What is this "relax" thing?

AquaBaby

Think I'll head to bed early tonight, get up a bit early so I can get to work early. I love the fact that I only work 2 days this week, but not sure how to fit a week's worth of work into 2 days. That is something that's eluded me for years. If anyone has figured it out, I'd love to know!!!!!

julifhy

Honestly, if Glofish came out with “GloShrimp” I would be willing to buy them! I think they would look really cool in a planted tank.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
Honestly, if Glofish came out with “GloShrimp” I would be willing to buy them! I think they would look really cool in a planted tank.
OFC. I hate glofish for some reason. They just look bad IMO. They even have glonerites!

julifhy

AcornTheBetta said:
OFC. I hate glofish for some reason. They just look bad IMO. They even have glonerites!
They do? I’ve never saw GloNerites before! I can’t find them online either. Where did you see them?
I personally prefer Glofish in planted tanks because it makes their colors really pop! I don’t mind them non planted tanks though.

AcornTheBetta

julifhy said:
They do? I’ve never saw GloNerites before! I can’t find them online either. Where did you see them?
I personally prefer Glofish in planted tanks because it makes their colors really pop! I don’t mind them non planted tanks though.
I can't find Gloshrimp... Here's the glow nerites:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Find a Guru

Top Bottom