Random Thoughts Continued - Page 13

MyFishAddiction

I'm still cranking out the Hobbit for school! Don't know that I'll read LotR

BigManAquatics

Maybe one of my favorite books ever, i have read The Hobbit too many times to count!!

SouthAmericanCichlids

If you don't read the whole thing, the first book of lotr, is my favorite of all of them (Excluding background book like the silmarillion or the children of hurin).

Frisbee

You mean books! (I am probably the only one here who read the books), but, yeah, books! And I kind of agree, the second book is so boring, it is literally all walking till the last chapter when a battle takes place. Whenever I ask if they've read the book, it's either no, or yes, but I got bored in book 2.

But yeah, in summary, lots of walking.
What!? The Two Towers is not just walking. You missed out on shelob, gollum, aragorn legolas and Gimli hunting the urakhai, treebeard, quickbeam, ent moot (way better in the book btw, they left out a few main characters in the movie). Sam disguising himself as the Elf warrior scaring the orcs and starting a legend in mordor for heaven sakes! There is so much in that book. I honestly think its way more exciting than the first and third.

The books are only boring if you are paying attention to what is happening.

It was so sad. Erkenbrand was one of my favorite characters in the books. They left him out the movies. Same with quickbeam.

sairving

You mean books! (I am probably the only one here who read the books), but, yeah, books! And I kind of agree, the second book is so boring, it is literally all walking till the last chapter when a battle takes place. Whenever I ask if they've read the book, it's either no, or yes, but I got bored in book 2.

But yeah, in summary, lots of walking.

I was bored with the Hobbit and read it in a day. My copy of LOTR is like an old friend. Read them for the first time when I was 11 or 12 after finding my dad's old copy.

SouthAmericanCichlids

What!? The Two Towers is not just walking. You missed out on shelob, gollum, aragorn legolas and Gimli hunting the urakhai, treebeard, quickbeam, ent moot (way better in the book btw, they left out a few main characters in the movie). Sam disguising himself as the Elf warrior scaring the orcs and starting a legend in mordor for heaven sakes! There is so much in that book. I honestly think its way more exciting than the first and third.

The books are only boring if you are paying attention to what is happening.

It was so sad. Erkenbrand was one of my favorite characters in the books. They left him out the movies. Same with quickbeam.
Yes, but some of those are just how they escaped to continue walking, and the ents, that is like only 1 1/2 chapters. But the majority of it was just travelling, I don't think I'll personally reread the 2nd anytime soon.

BigManAquatics

Holy Mother of Hades...we got measurable rainfall overnight. Sure it does nothing for our drought levels, but it is nice to not get a lungful of dust everytime i open the door at work!

MyFishAddiction

Probably the same storm we had over here a few days ago. Got us a considerable amount of snow on the mountains, so hopefully it'll be over next year!

BigManAquatics

Probably the same storm we had over here a few days ago. Got us a considerable amount of snow on the mountains, so hopefully it'll be over next year!
Did get snow in the western end of state.

Bwood22

I hate snow.
White Christmas? Bah humbug.

I grew up the mountains of northern Washington. You haven't seen snow until you have to keep a snow shovel inside the house overnight just so you can get outside when you open the door the next morning.

Now that I live back in Alabama, these folks around here get hilarious if we get a tiny flurry.
All the milk and bread disappears from the shelves at Walmart.

V1K

For the last week and a bit we had that blissful sunny autumn weather, perfect for a stroll in a forest and appreciating autumnal colours. Lucky me to have had vacation during this time. Now that I'm back to work the weather is slowly getting more cloudy and cold.

Attachments

• DSC_1579.JPG
    DSC_1579.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 9

Ouse

On the topic of snow, it’s a rare thing over here. Instead, I mainly get to experience slippery ice on all the pavements during winter. At the start of the year, there was considerable snow for a day or two, though.

Hot sunny weather is more my thing. The thirst is a slight drawback, but it’s not as bad as trying to sleep during such weather!

BigManAquatics

Dang, skipped a week....so without further ado,

It's Saturday! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it!!

V1K

It's Saturday! CONGRATULATIONS!!! You made it!!
I did! Had a 5 day work week, with today being the last one. Phew... How do other people do it all the time... It's not so much exhausting in my case as it is boring - tourist-oriented bussiness without tourists is quite a drag. Fortunately, I'll have 3 days off now, and the next week will only be 4 days :).

BigManAquatics

I did! Had a 5 day work week, with today being the last one. Phew... How do other people do it all the time... It's not so much exhausting in my case as it is boring - tourist-oriented bussiness without tourists is quite a drag. Fortunately, I'll have 3 days off now, and the next week will only be 4 days :).
Next Sunday i start a 13 day work week :)

Correction: 14 day work week

V1K

Next Sunday i start a 13 day work week :)

Correction: 14 day work week
Why..? Sounds horrible... When are you supposed to, IDK, enjoy your life? Or do you have proportionally abundant days off?

BigManAquatics

Why..? Sounds horrible... When are you supposed to, IDK, enjoy your life? Or do you have proportionally abundant days off?
Depends of i choose to. Span includes 2 football games, 2 basketball games, 2 comedy shows and 1 rodeo.

StarGirl

He likes extra curricular money.... ;)

BigManAquatics

He likes extra curricular money.... ;)
Got a lot of little fishy mouths to feed! Also, piggy kitties and kids....

MyFishAddiction

My Math teacher assigned us homework to do over fall break! The NERVE of that woman!

BigManAquatics

2 special needs kids shaved and one with a haircut too. I need a nap lol

V1K

Yesterday I've learned to tell my panda garras apart, and named them. At first it felt almost impossible, as they look very much alike, but no 2 fish are identical if you look close enough :D. I feel like knowing each fish makes fish watching more entertaining, you get to know their individual character traits, territories they tend to occupy, etc. Also you notice warning signs that something is wrong with a particular fish before it becomes completely obvious. Anyway, didn't get to do the waterchange because I spent the time allocated to it on studying garra colour patterns xD. I guess I'll have to do it today after work.

MyFishAddiction

You know, I think API should give fishlore royalties. How many API Master Test Kits have members got on our insistence/recommendation? and how many would have been sold compared to the Tetra strips?

StarGirl

You know, I think API should give fishlore royalties. How many API Master Test Kits have members got on our insistence/recommendation? and how many would have been sold compared to the Tetra strips?
Oh plenty of tetra strips are sold. :rolleyes:

Rose of Sharon

Well, at least Fishlore will get a cut of the profits if we use the links in red to buy from Amazon. That's where I get my test kits. I know that Mike published this a little while ago, but maybe it needs to go out numerous times so that members will remember....

Changed amazon link colors

Ouse

I never recommend API Master anymore, but I used to before. Now, I always recommend the better brands of test trips (so basically not API or Tetra strips), or the NTLabs kit to members in the UK.

Why call it “the master kit” if you have to buy KH and GH tests separately?

BigManAquatics

It's Friday! Congratulations!! You made it!!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Driving, driving forever. In the trunk because there are too many people as if I was growing up in the 80s, listening to the music to go with it.

V1K

Driving, driving forever. In the trunk because there are too many people as if I was growing up in the 80s, listening to the music to go with it.
What..? Are you being transported inside a trunk? Were you kidnapped? Do you need someone to call 911? And what any of that has to do with the 80s? So confusing...

BigManAquatics

What..? Are you being transported inside a trunk? Were you kidnapped? Do you need someone to call 911? And what any of that has to do with the 80s? So confusing...
I once went halfway across the country standing up in the back of a pick-up truck as a kid :)

Ouse

A long unanswered question of mine: what is the purpose of anteaters?

BigManAquatics

To look cool!

20210731_103333.jpg

V1K

To keep the ants on their toes. Ants can get quite arrogant and cocky, what with their fancy houses and perfectly tuned social structures and acid glands for defense. They need a reminder that they're not on top of a food chain after all.

Ouse

To keep the ants on their toes. Ants can get quite arrogant and cocky, what with their fancy houses and perfectly tuned social structures and acid glands for defense. They need a reminder that they're not on top of a food chain after all.
Only applies to some ants in South America, who are unfortunate to share habitat with anteaters. :D

In this sense, ants are the same as humans... except for the acid glands. However, humans have each other to keep themselves on their toes.

StarGirl

While we are on this subject.......Does anyone know what mosquitos are for? Besides being the spawn of the devil?

SouthAmericanCichlids

We had too many people why we were on a road trip. So I road in the trunk of the car. And, in the US nowadays it's not really acceptable for people to go in the trunk or across the legs of people in a car, but here in the 80s, people did it all the time. People care too much nowadays.

Oh, I see why you thought I was being kidnapped, the trunk is opened from behind but the back of the back seat has a hole so you could climb over the back seat into it. Just look up X Terra car, that explains it better. A pic.

Ouse

While we are on this subject.......Does anyone know what mosquitos are for? Besides being the spawn of the devil?
How bad are mosquitoes in your area? I never see them here in the East of the UK, however I went to visit my granddad in the South earlier this year and when going on walks I had to swat giant balls of mozzies away every minute.

BigManAquatics

How bad are mosquitoes in your area? I never see them here in the East of the UK, however I went to visit my granddad in the South earlier this year and when going on walks I had to swat giant balls of mozzies away every minute.
Depends on the year for how bad the mosquitoes are. If it is a wet year, they get really bad with stagnant water everywhere. Was a dry year this year, so for us, they weren't horrible, but they were bad enough. The flies more than made up for it.

StarGirl

We have them bad here all summer. Some are just worse than others. They love to bite me. I go outside at night I have to douse with bug spray.

BigManAquatics

We have them bad here all summer. Some are just worse than others. They love to bite me. I go outside at night I have to douse with bug spray.
They usually ignore me, so you must be sweet...lol

Similar Aquarium Threads

123 124 125 126
Replies
Views
Lucy
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views