Random Thoughts Continued - Page 11

BigManAquatics

2 special needs kids shaved and one with a haircut too. I need a nap lol

V1K

Yesterday I've learned to tell my panda garras apart, and named them. At first it felt almost impossible, as they look very much alike, but no 2 fish are identical if you look close enough :D. I feel like knowing each fish makes fish watching more entertaining, you get to know their individual character traits, territories they tend to occupy, etc. Also you notice warning signs that something is wrong with a particular fish before it becomes completely obvious. Anyway, didn't get to do the waterchange because I spent the time allocated to it on studying garra colour patterns xD. I guess I'll have to do it today after work.

MyFishAddiction

You know, I think API should give fishlore royalties. How many API Master Test Kits have members got on our insistence/recommendation? and how many would have been sold compared to the Tetra strips?

StarGirl

You know, I think API should give fishlore royalties. How many API Master Test Kits have members got on our insistence/recommendation? and how many would have been sold compared to the Tetra strips?
Oh plenty of tetra strips are sold. :rolleyes:

Rose of Sharon

Well, at least Fishlore will get a cut of the profits if we use the links in red to buy from Amazon. That's where I get my test kits. I know that Mike published this a little while ago, but maybe it needs to go out numerous times so that members will remember....

Changed amazon link colors

Ouse

I never recommend API Master anymore, but I used to before. Now, I always recommend the better brands of test trips (so basically not API or Tetra strips), or the NTLabs kit to members in the UK.

Why call it “the master kit” if you have to buy KH and GH tests separately?

BigManAquatics

It's Friday! Congratulations!! You made it!!

SouthAmericanCichlids

Driving, driving forever. In the trunk because there are too many people as if I was growing up in the 80s, listening to the music to go with it.

V1K

Driving, driving forever. In the trunk because there are too many people as if I was growing up in the 80s, listening to the music to go with it.
What..? Are you being transported inside a trunk? Were you kidnapped? Do you need someone to call 911? And what any of that has to do with the 80s? So confusing...

BigManAquatics

What..? Are you being transported inside a trunk? Were you kidnapped? Do you need someone to call 911? And what any of that has to do with the 80s? So confusing...
I once went halfway across the country standing up in the back of a pick-up truck as a kid :)

Ouse

A long unanswered question of mine: what is the purpose of anteaters?

BigManAquatics

To look cool!

You must be registered to see images

V1K

To keep the ants on their toes. Ants can get quite arrogant and cocky, what with their fancy houses and perfectly tuned social structures and acid glands for defense. They need a reminder that they're not on top of a food chain after all.

Ouse

To keep the ants on their toes. Ants can get quite arrogant and cocky, what with their fancy houses and perfectly tuned social structures and acid glands for defense. They need a reminder that they're not on top of a food chain after all.
Only applies to some ants in South America, who are unfortunate to share habitat with anteaters. :D

In this sense, ants are the same as humans... except for the acid glands. However, humans have each other to keep themselves on their toes.

StarGirl

While we are on this subject.......Does anyone know what mosquitos are for? Besides being the spawn of the devil?

SouthAmericanCichlids

We had too many people why we were on a road trip. So I road in the trunk of the car. And, in the US nowadays it's not really acceptable for people to go in the trunk or across the legs of people in a car, but here in the 80s, people did it all the time. People care too much nowadays.

Oh, I see why you thought I was being kidnapped, the trunk is opened from behind but the back of the back seat has a hole so you could climb over the back seat into it. Just look up X Terra car, that explains it better. A pic.

Ouse

While we are on this subject.......Does anyone know what mosquitos are for? Besides being the spawn of the devil?
How bad are mosquitoes in your area? I never see them here in the East of the UK, however I went to visit my granddad in the South earlier this year and when going on walks I had to swat giant balls of mozzies away every minute.

BigManAquatics

How bad are mosquitoes in your area? I never see them here in the East of the UK, however I went to visit my granddad in the South earlier this year and when going on walks I had to swat giant balls of mozzies away every minute.
Depends on the year for how bad the mosquitoes are. If it is a wet year, they get really bad with stagnant water everywhere. Was a dry year this year, so for us, they weren't horrible, but they were bad enough. The flies more than made up for it.

StarGirl

We have them bad here all summer. Some are just worse than others. They love to bite me. I go outside at night I have to douse with bug spray.

BigManAquatics

We have them bad here all summer. Some are just worse than others. They love to bite me. I go outside at night I have to douse with bug spray.
They usually ignore me, so you must be sweet...lol

Ouse

Are American mosquitoes any dangerous? Here, they merely itch. British wildlife is comparatively tame to other regions. Lol.

The real bothersome insects to me are craneflies. I know I said this at the start of this thread, but I just can’t stand em’.

BigManAquatics

Are American mosquitoes any dangerous? Here, they merely itch. British wildlife is comparatively tame to other regions. Lol.

The real bothersome insects to me are craneflies. I know I said this at the start of this thread, but I just can’t stand em’.
Sometimes they carry stuff like west nile virus. But in the States, at least malaria isn't an issue, generally. I have been places where it was, though...

Rose of Sharon

We have mosquitoes year round. Always have to be aware of West Nile virus infected mosquitoes. They infect people and live stock. Didn't know they were that bad in Michigan, StarGirl.

StarGirl

We have mosquitoes year round. Always have to be aware of West Nile virus infected mosquitoes. They infect people and live stock. Didn't know they were that bad in Michigan, StarGirl.
At least we get a break from them in the winter, but I dont know how much of a good trade off that is.....lol

We are surrounded by and have tons of lakes so it gets pretty humid here. Yeah they are pretty bad. I guess I notice more because if there is one single mosquito it will bite me. lol

Rose of Sharon

Who needs to cultivate live food cultures when you can go outside and swat like 50 mosquitoes... :)

My rain bucket used to water outside plants is usually full of mosquito larvae

V1K

We had too many people why we were on a road trip. So I road in the trunk of the car. And, in the US nowadays it's not really acceptable for people to go in the trunk or across the legs of people in a car, but here in the 80s, people did it all the time. People care too much nowadays.

Oh, I see why you thought I was being kidnapped, the trunk is opened from behind but the back of the back seat has a hole so you could climb over the back seat into it. Just look up X Terra car, that explains it better. A pic.
I don't think it was ever legal to ride inside the trunk here, though I'm not sure as I was inly born in late 80s. That's why I didn't get that comparison.
OK, that car looks quite spacious in the back. I was imagining a mid-sized sedan or a smaller hatchback like a Prius, and that didn't sound like a comfortable ride :D

Ouse

I got lucky today...

I was going to go somewhere with a friend, however said friend couldn’t go because of chores. We decided to cancel going. Then, about an hour later, we heard news about an explosion caused by an electrical fire that occurred next to where we were going to go! Roads are closed and there’s huge traffic in the area.

Glad we missed that! :confused:

BigManAquatics

I got lucky today...

I was going to go somewhere with a friend, however said friend couldn’t go because of chores. We decided to cancel going. Then, about an hour later, we heard news about an explosion caused by an electrical fire that occurred next to where we were going to go! Roads are closed and there’s huge traffic in the area.

Glad we missed that! :confused:
That is called "walking around raindrops"!

BigManAquatics

Almost done with the first 9 hrs of my workday. Almost time to leave and go work basketball!

V1K

It's Friday! You may or may not have made it, I don't know your schedule...

Ouse

My oh my is it dark outside! And early...

I’m up so early because I’m going on a trip. It was supposed to be for my birthday over a month ago.

BigManAquatics

It's Friday! You may or may not have made it, I don't know your schedule...
I made it....if i make it through the day, a small miracle

V1K

My oh my is it dark outside! And early...

I’m up so early because I’m going on a trip. It was supposed to be for my birthday over a month ago.
Where are you going? I too got up early, but for less fun activity - online job interview, second this week. I don't think I'll be taking this one even if I'm offered - their schedule is lousy and the salary doesn't make up for it. I'm not jobless, just keeping an eye out for something better, so I can afford being picky.

BigManAquatics

Woot, one of my comments is getting used in a youtube video :)

Bwood22

Woot, one of my comments is getting used in a youtube video :)
Do tell.

So I've been working alot lately. I deal with alot of data analysis in the healthcare field. Today I was diagnosed with blepharitis....have you ever heard of that? My eyelids are swollen. Now I have to squirt antibiotic cream into my eyeball for a week.

Take breaks from your computer screens.
Remember to step away and go look at your fish. It's good for your eyes.

BigManAquatics

Do tell.

So I've been working alot lately. I deal with alot of data analysis in the healthcare field. Today I was diagnosed with blepharitis....have you ever heard of that? My eyelids are swollen. Now I have to squirt antibiotic cream into my eyeball for a week.

Take breaks from your computer screens.
Remember to step away and go look at your fish. It's good for your eyes.
Haven't watched it yet(don't know if he uploaded/made it yet), but it is a Ben Ochart video.

Bwood22

Haven't watched it yet(don't know if he uploaded/made it yet), but it is a Ben Ochart video.
Oh he's awesome. Love that guy.

Ouse

Where are you going?
I went to London. The London Underground (we usually call it “the tube”) stank and was really overcrowded and hot.

I’ve taken a big liking to London recently. It feels so “British,” with the Union Jacks waving everywhere and the atmosphere which welcomes tourists to the country. I wish other places here were as vibrant and “British.”

I went to the London aquarium. They have sand tiger sharks. :)

I’ll upload photos another time.

BigManAquatics

I went to London. The London Underground (we usually call it “the tube”) stank and was really overcrowded and hot.

I’ve taken a big liking to London recently. It feels so “British,” with the Union Jacks waving everywhere and the atmosphere which welcomes tourists to the country. I wish other places here were as vibrant and “British.”

London was great. Went there about 25 years ago. One of the few places in the country i didn't have to duck to get inside every door.

Ouse

London was great. Went there about 25 years ago.
25 years ago? A lot has changed since then. Now you can easily tell which buildings have been built in the past 10 years or the last 100 years. :D
One of the few places in the country i didn't have to duck to get inside every door.
Whoa, how tall are you? The doors around here are tall enough for me to use and I’m about 6’1”.

Everyone is mega tall in London. I feel short each time I visit.

BigManAquatics

25 years ago? A lot has changed since then. Now you can easily tell which buildings have been built in the past 10 years or the last 100 years. :D

Whoa, how tall are you? The doors around here are tall enough for me to use and I’m about 6’1”.

Everyone is mega tall in London. I feel short each time I visit.
Taller than that, like a mini giant! I did almost knock myself out on a doorframe in Stratford in a candy shop, as i got distracted(girls)and walked fullspeed into the top of a doorframe. Had to crawl up the stairs in Tower of London because the ceiling was too low in the stairwell to see the Crown Jewels.

Ouse

...and that time has come:

BigManAquatics

Happy Halloween! Aka, parents raid your kids' candy night!!

BigManAquatics

Bummer...wasn't many kids out trick-or-treating this year, so couldn't do my usual "scare the bejeezus out of other kids and have my kids swoop in on the candy they dropped" routine. Just kidding! Happy Halloween!

Ouse

I just realised... you poor Americans, living in a country where Cyprinus Carpio isn’t a native species. That’s not fair!

At least you still got bears though. That sounds pretty cool.

...aaaand while typing this I just discovered carp aren’t native to here either. Ah well, I just wanted to mention how awesome carp are. :(

BigManAquatics

I just realised... you poor Americans, living in a country where Cyprinus Carpio isn’t a native species. That’s not fair!

At least you still got bears though. That sounds pretty cool.

...aaaand while typing this I just discovered carp aren’t native to here either. Ah well, I just wanted to mention how awesome carp are. :(
They might not be native, but they sure are everywhere....fun to catch

Ouse

They might not be native, but they sure are everywhere....fun to catch
Koi have even been introduced to some waters here. Provided Britain’s wildlife is pretty tame, most of our more gnarly species are introduced (carp, zander, catfish etc).

The other week, my school had a fishing trip. If I were any good at fishing, I would’ve went!

”I’m skipped school to go fishing.” It sounds so cool.

Bwood22

I was on my way out the door this morning to go to work.....i noticed my fish were acting weird and very stressed and breathing heavily.

The water was almost 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
My heater wasn't shutting off.

I fixed the issue.
I was late to work.

None of my fish died.

MyFishAddiction

sitting here with Star Wars: Squadrons, Imagine Dragons, and my fish. Life is good.

StarGirl

I am totally addicted to Slim Jims and Tyson Buffalo chicken wings right now.....lol (Bone in and with Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch for dip) :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

98 99 100 101
Replies
Views
Lucy
2 3 4
Replies
Views
KrissyBunnie
Replies
Views
Lucy