Random Snail showed up?

AwesomeAlpaca

Ok so I got back from a 3 day trip that was apparently very exciting for my fish tank (my guppy finally gave birth) and as I took a look at my tank I found a snail on the wall I had not purchased. He’s super speedy, but I don’t want him to reproduce. Any idea what he is and how quickly I should remove him?
I aslo have a different tank that I could put him in if I shouldget rid of him. Thanks!

edit: his snail appears to be clear, with a black spotted body. The elf of his shell looks a bit like a rams horn, but in the back coming into a point, not on the side. Attached a better photo for reference. I also took him out and put him in a mason jar with water (obviously) and he’sdefinitely really fast. Can travel about an inch(?) in a minute. You can see him vosible moving quite obviously.

Attachments

SM1199

Looks like a pond snail. If you don't want it to reproduce, you should get rid of it, and sooner rather than later. If you can't muster the courage to kill it or you don't have a puffer to feed it to (I'm assuming not), there's nothing wrong with putting it in a large vase in a window to let him munch on algae in isolation.

AwesomeAlpaca

SM1199 said:
Looks like a pond snail. If you don't want it to reproduce, you should get rid of it, and sooner rather than later. If you can't muster the courage to kill it or you don't have a puffer to feed it to (I'm assuming not), there's nothing wrong with putting it in a large vase in a window to let him munch on algae in isolation.
Ok, sounds good. I never novited him before, and I think he was and egg or tiny snail when he was transferred on with a plant (my guess) Should I be worried about multiple? How quickly do they reproduce. Thanks

jpaquatics

Yes keep a close watch as they reproduce extremely fast. If you see more you can just smush against the glass and the fish will eat it. The babies are very small at first and hard to see.

SM1199

AwesomeAlpaca said:
Ok, sounds good. I never novited him before, and I think he was and egg or tiny snail when he was transferred on with a plant (my guess) Should I be worried about multiple? How quickly do they reproduce. Thanks
I have personally never had a snail infestation in any of my tanks but I have removed probably half a dozen pest snails from my tanks right after introducing new plants. If you catch them early, there's an okay chance you don't have others in the tank, but it's always good to check in case others hitchhiked too.

Fisch

You see one, specifically in that size, you most likely have many, many more in the tank. I am battling these little buggers since the beginningafter they came in with a plant. To check if you have more you may want to put a piece of lettuce in the tank and collect it the next morning. That will give you a bit of an indication.

AwesomeAlpaca

Fisch said:
You see one, specifically in that size, you most likely have many, many more in the tank.
Really? He was quite small, smaller that my fingertip. I don’t know if your from America (I’m guessing you are) but it was about the same size as the “mouth” of an outlet. The bottom hole is what I’m tying to say.
Fisch said:
To check if you have more you may want to put a piece of lettuce in the tank and collect it the next morning. That will give you a bit of an indication.
I’ll try and do that once I get back from school today.

Man, I used to shop at petsmart because they were cheaper and then I had a friend tell me that the LFS was good and I though “Hey, I’ll support local” and bought some fish and a single plant from there. (Everything else was bought from pet smarts no snail certified section) I’ll be pretty annoyed if I get a snail infestation from this.o_O

AwesomeAlpaca

Ok, so I appear to be missing lettuce. Anything else I could use in place?

Fisch

AwesomeAlpaca said:
Really? He was quite small, smaller that my fingertip. I don’t know if your from America (I’m guessing you are) but it was about the same size as the “mouth” of an outlet. The bottom hole is what I’m tying to say.

I’ll try and do that once I get back from school today.

Man, I used to shop at petsmart because they were cheaper and then I had a friend tell me that the LFS was good and I though “Hey, I’ll support local” and bought some fish and a single plant from there. (Everything else was bought from pet smarts no snail certified section) I’ll be pretty annoyed if I get a snail infestation from this.o_O
Snails are a fact of life, the providers of plants to Lfs most likely do not have a snail-free guarantee. Even online plant stores ship snails freely. They are annoying, but not devastating.

Fisch

Not
AwesomeAlpaca said:
Ok, so I appear to be missing lettuce. Anything else I could use in place?
Not sure, they are going for zucchini and cucumbers as well, just not in numbers and as enthusiastic.

Top Bottom