Random shrimp death. Just a one off or ???

Blacksheep1

Afternoon all !

I’ve had a random shrimp death today , it’s a juvenile so born in my tank water. I did a 15% wc 2 days ago , temp matched and dripped back in. The rest seem fine and active so far.. should I be worried or just put it down to the shrimp gods taking this little one early ? I can’t see any reasons for its death but obviously there is one.

photo of the rest of them and the little dead one. Strange that the amanos didn’t get to this guy before I did.

The tank is 70L, 3 amanos and around 50 ish cherries of various ages. Established just under a year.
CE0FF07B-41B9-4976-A8E6-11F6AFAF068C.jpeg
F20E8BBE-D0AC-46A2-A669-EF0ED742D5EC.jpeg
F898012A-88B7-41C6-BE81-93F7BA597269.jpeg
0FCCEC73-F7F1-473E-9615-3F4C35720FD5.jpeg
5EC6162E-18C3-4D01-B69A-8CCA44A438A3.jpeg

V1K

You can test your water parameters just in case, but it was probably just a weak shrimplet. You just ought to get some maladapted specimens once in a while, that's how nature works.

Flyfisha

Definitely test the tank water. Especially for ammonia.

But possibly as important is to test your tap water for ammonia.

I like to write of my experience with neocaridina.

In a breeding tank deliberately changing water with cold water to trigger fish into breeding. No deaths.

In fry grow out tanks with three 45% water changes in one week. No deaths but with feeding the fry 4 times a day the cherry shrimp multiply.

Once and only once I ran a cherry shrimp tank for a few months only changing a small amount of water each month. The shrimp did not multiply in numbers to the same extent.

Please don’t take offence but the floor of the tank looks very clean. No leaf litter or mulm I question if there is enough natural foods available for the growing population?
I don’t have all the answers but it would do no harm to have more food available 24/7 . Even in a feeding dish.

An old snapshot of a dirty fry grow out tank.

9BE189E2-48A4-45A5-AD87-CE2BA4D4DE78.png
I have been pulled up for using the word dirty and am supposed to write established. Ether way you write it my suggestion is shrimp scavenge food all day long if they can. And even baby BN plecos make a lot of waste when there are 200 in a ten gallon.
Edit
Are you familiar with” Marks shrimp tanks” ?

I can’t remember which of his recent videos mentioned changing water in his neocaridina tank as often as he likes and feeding as much as possible.
He makes it quite clear that he definitely can’t do that in his caridina tanks.
A link

sorry it’s not “the” video but it’s one of his latest.

Blacksheep1

V1K Do you think it’s bad genetics with it being a juvenile not a baby. It was Maybe 2-3 months old , it is a very low grade one for sure. I will test when I get home and post them.

tap is usually 0 but I’ll test that too.

No offence taken at all Flyfisha. I have ial’s in the back left half of the tank and alder cones scattered and round. I feed a lot of veggies but occasionally some frozen bloodworms or Artemia , I feed bacter ae and and some specific shrimp pellet, can’t remember the brand rn. There’s a lot of plants and moss in the tank too. I can post a photo of the whole tank if needed. I was always under the impression that a starve day or two a week was best , I’ll up the feeding and see if it makes any difference at all, I do have quite a few copepod’s and detritus worms.

I’m very familiar with marks shrimp tanks ( he cracks me up !) and recommended him just yesterday to someone.

Im always open to learning how others do things and what work’s for them.

edit——-
Temp - 22c
Tds- 147
Ph-7.4
Ammonia-.25.
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-not quite 5
Kh-4
Gh-7
Tap ammonia -0
Tap tds- 58

Could the dead shrimp of caused the slight ammonia that fast ? Seems doubtful for something so small but maybe a contributing factor. All 3 snails accounted for and moving. I did a standard wc last, I didn’t touch the filter media, moved one plant back a little hence the mass of roots on the photo

richiep

From What I'm looking at its a faild molt, in two photos you can see the legs knotted together but the one photo you can clearly see the carapace as not gone over the headand is still sitting on the poor guy

Attachments

• 20220519_192345.jpg
    20220519_192345.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220519_192306.jpg
    20220519_192306.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220519_192217.jpg
    20220519_192217.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 13

Flyfisha

Thanks for spotting that richiep,
And what does a young shrimp need to have more successful molts? Or to not begin to molt at the wrong time/ to soon after the last one.

I don’t know but they use calcium in large amounts it’s said .
Calcium comes from water with only a limited amount being in each water change.
Calcium can be taken from fresh green vegetables it is said and a mixed diet of appropriate dry foods.

It is said a shrimp is triggered to molt by changes in water parameters. Hence the whole don’t do big water changes after a long time without a change debate. Multiple regular water changes provide a constant supply of calcium and stable but fresh water.

Before I got distracted by tiny little fish I used to have small chunks cuttlefish bone in most tanks most of the time. Something I should do again even for the fry because I know from crushing pest snails my water is low in calcium ( I believe)

Any suggestions richiep?

richiep

That little guy could have had a faild molt from any of the points you made Flyfisha but sadly you'll never know
Every water change I do has this calcium added, I've never done drip change, what I've always done is changed 15% sometimes20% I warm the water in a bucket in a sink of hot water and once it's up to tank temperatures I use a 1ltr jug and it's jugged in all at once so adding the water takes less than 30 seconds, temperature and adding your minerals is key doing this and I can honestly say I don't get deaths and I've done it this way for years
I believe this calcium is better than cuttlebone and you can also add small amount of water to the powder to make sticky type balls which once dropped in the tank degrade over a week if not eaten first

Attachments

• 16529889842737891234206651859626.jpg
    16529889842737891234206651859626.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 7

Blacksheep1

richiep you’ve helped me from getting my first surprise shrimp and 95% of what I know is from you ! ( 5% YouTube but most reiterates what you’ve said !)Thankyou for calling it , I was worried it was something worse ! I saw the legs too but didn’t see the ‘white ring’ and so didn’t think it was that. I feed quite a lot of veggies , green beans, kale, broccoli stalks, zucchini ( courgette ) plus the other man made foods above. I’ve tried cuttlebone , it didn’t do much I feel. I’ll order what you’ve recommended above so Thankyou for that.

my water is real soft and I had 0kh so I have to use crushed coral. I asked before but never got a real answer, does the cc keep it climbing in kh/ ph ? Or does it plateau ? It’s been steadily climbing in pH in the months I put it in but will it keep continuing to climb? I didn’t weigh it but it’s less than a handful ( I have small hands !)

If this is the first failed moult I’ve had in months I want to be proactive not reactive, any and all ideas are welcome.

thanks for taking the time to respond to me :)

richiep

You're very welcome and thanks for the 95%. These things happen so don't change a ything for one dead shrimp,this is where people panic and start doing drastic things.
How far crushed coral takes your ph I'm not that sure but it will level off and know people using it do change it every so often, your readings above are perfect so when you see your ph drop to 6.9to 7 then it's time to change the coral
Out of interest what are your parameters from the tap as thers may be another way around things

Blacksheep1

The 95% is fully deserved. I’d not of been able to keep them alive if it wasn’t for you.

the Tap is 0 on ammonia, nitrite , nitrate . ph 7 - 7.2 depending when i test , tds 50-60 day depending.

I’ve not changed anything or done anything yet. I’ll slightly up the feeding and see how that goes , but if I feed a veggie I feed it later at night and leave it until lights in at dinner time the next day then remove, so I wouldn’t feed that day. As the colony increases I’ll up the amount or size of food but I’ll not stop feeding mainly veg. I add protein and spirulina based food maybe once a week.

I was looking for an answer to why this one died , ie a definitive diagnosis ( not always possible I know ) but if nothing obvious as in a disease etc then until im told different I won’t change a thing. It’s been working well for the last few months. I expect a few deaths at some point.

Is it worth adding a new blood line ? The tank isn’t that old but I don’t know how inbred these are.

richiep

Gh is very important and thats the one you need from the tap the gh can affect molting, if your ph is 7-7.2 then you dont need coral , infact thats perfect for cherry,
If your gh is 5 or lower that will affect them, if its above gh5 then leave well alone and carry on as you've been doing
We all get unexplained deaths and if alls ok otherwise don't worry

Blacksheep1

Gh is very important and thats the one you need from the tap the gh can affect molting, if your ph is 7-7.2 then you dont need coral , infact thats perfect for cherry,
Once it’s sat it drops to around 6.5, with 0 kh it drops lower in the tanks. I add just a little mainly for the kh and to stop the tank crashing :)
If your gh is 5 or lower that will affect them, if its above gh5 then leave well alone and carry on as you've been doing
We all get unexplained deaths and if alls ok otherwise don't worry
It’s at 7 so that’s good.
Thankyou, as always RichieP. I’ll leave things how they are and just monitor them closely. 3 of the original babies are berried , one looks sketchy with eggs hanging at all odd angles so I don’t have high hopes for that one but it’s still nice to see :)

Shrimpee

Afternoon all !

I’ve had a random shrimp death today , it’s a juvenile so born in my tank water. I did a 15% wc 2 days ago , temp matched and dripped back in. The rest seem fine and active so far.. should I be worried or just put it down to the shrimp gods taking this little one early ? I can’t see any reasons for its death but obviously there is one.

photo of the rest of them and the little dead one. Strange that the amanos didn’t get to this guy before I did.

The tank is 70L, 3 amanos and around 50 ish cherries of various ages. Established just under a year.
CE0FF07B-41B9-4976-A8E6-11F6AFAF068C.jpeg
F20E8BBE-D0AC-46A2-A669-EF0ED742D5EC.jpeg
F898012A-88B7-41C6-BE81-93F7BA597269.jpeg
0FCCEC73-F7F1-473E-9615-3F4C35720FD5.jpeg
5EC6162E-18C3-4D01-B69A-8CCA44A438A3.jpeg
its hard to tell why a shrimp dies. how long have you had the tank and how often do you see a dead shrimp ( and out of a population of appox how many shrimps)?
if its not often., then nothing to worry about. they are living things. and some will die over time. but if everyday you are seeing dead shrimps out of the blue. then you should check the waters.

Blacksheep1

The tanks been set up about a year but just for shrimps about 8 months. I started with 6 and There’s over 50 now. I’ve had 3 deaths total since I got the 6 and two were juveniles. After a closer look RichieP was right , it was a failed moult. I’m not quite sure what caused it but I’ll be keeping a close eye on them :)

Shrimpee

The tanks been set up about a year but just for shrimps about 8 months. I started with 6 and There’s over 50 now. I’ve had 3 deaths total since I got the 6 and two were juveniles. After a closer look RichieP was right , it was a failed moult. I’m not quite sure what caused it but I’ll be keeping a close eye on them :)
then no problem. on and off there will be a failed molt etc. it happens. and congratulations for you thriving shrimp population!

Blacksheep1

then no problem. on and off there will be a failed molt etc. it happens. and congratulations for you thriving shrimp population!
Thankyou ! I don’t know why I waited so long to try shrimp, I love them !

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
LyndaB
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views