Random Question

1. Timothy Goodwater Member Member

So I was wondering if people ever keep green water aquariums on purpose? I don't think I could ever designate a tank for it, but I think that some of the tanks people post when looking for solutions look kind of cool. Almost a natural pond type look.

[​IMG]

2. Zed Initiate Member

I don't think they're on purpose, because usually it would mean bad water quality, especially if there's fish like the one in the photo. Generally, green water means aglea, excess waste, or too much food can also cause the green bloom; water chemistry would be unstable too. Honestly, I'd rather go with a green LED if I wanted a green look, but I understand that the murkiness of the water is part of that look. All in all, crystal clear water is always indicative of healthy water. Could just be me though.

http://www.fishtanktutor.com/how-to-fix-green-aquarium-water

3. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Green water, I don't think so, tea colored water yes, this is called Blackwater and is a type o water heavy in tannins and is something many fish are used to. This Blackwater can be cause by things like dead leaves and driftwood in the water. If you would like a more natural, not crystal clear look, I'd investigate Blackwater and the fish that enjoy it.

4. Grimund Well Known Member Member

The only thing I can think of is breeding ghost shrimp. The larval stages need micro food to survive