Random question: cut hands in a tank?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziggi, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

I've put off doing any hands on work with my tanks AGAIN because of an injury... AGAIN!
    First was a REALLY deep paper cut received from a target sale card across two knuckles... ouch.
    Today I was planning on getting in and FINALLY planting a Wisteria plant I bought a week and a half ago, however the feral barn cat at my job decided to scratch me while I was feeding him. On the same hand, my paper cut just finished healing! (Bad Alex!)

:);ot to all the cat people on here... it wasn't an attack, I think he just pawed at me and happened to retract a bit, nothing serious... is he trying to be more social or am I being nice and he really did just attack me? I'm a dog/horse person... cats confuse me :p)

I'm not too concerned about sterilization (I breathe in worse things I'm sure), but I should be ok getting in to clean up right so long as I'm not bandaged up or anything? Just wash off really well and use neosporin afterward... right?

I'd rather not have to put off my tank work anymore since I'm seeing a pattern here. :'(

2. Daac

DaacWell Known MemberMember

I think you are fine. Just rinse thoroughly before and wash with soap and water after and you should be fine. It might burn a bit if the wound is still open (I've had this a lot) but its nothing bad. You should be fine.

3. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

As long as you have no relatively new or ill fish, you should be fine. I clean my tanks all the time with cuts, it's just a fact of life for me;)

4. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

My hands get destroyed at work. It hasn't affected me or my fish, inverts or plants. Obviously we don't mean serious open wounds but anything minor is ok.

5. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Ok, just making sure.

Normally I wouldn't even question it. Like I said, I work in poo all day with cuts, fractures (yes, I got kicked and still went to work the next day), and what have you, but it hit me that the tank is where the fish do everything, not like a barn where it's avoidable. The environment is completely different, stepping in poo vs having dissolved poo floating around your hands. :p First time in my animal-career I stopped to think about the situation first.

Oh well, good, I'm going in palms first tomorrow after work... assuming I don't manage to mess myself up again. Then I'll just be perfectly creeped out!

6. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

If it's anything like my cat it was attack. :p
    I've always got scratches on my hands and arms from her.
    I wash with soap and water then either neosporin or peroxide after having my hands in the tank.

If you're real concerned since technically there are bacterium in the aquarium that can make you ill, use aquarium gloves.

7. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Awe, and here I was hoping I was making headway in socializing him! (our other feral cat now enjoys scratches and rubs on us like a "normal" cat if there's such a thing. Took about a year and a half maybe.)
    Aquarium gloves? ... I didn't know such a thing existed. :eek:

8. k8XP

k8XPValued MemberMember

Yeah definitely get some gloves if you can find aquarium safe ones! (I'm sure you can find the exact ones to look for somewhere on this site...)

I literally just watched a show called Monsters Inside Me, and this little girl got a nasty, weird, parasite/tapeworm thing from a cut in her hand after putting the hand in their aquarium frequently "trying to catch the fish" D : it was bad. So be careful!

Can't help with the cat thing... I don't like em too much, more horses and dog person too : )

9. slimeneo

slimeneoValued MemberMember

Not to scare anyone, but I was watching a show on deadly illnesses (I can't recall the name of the show) and basically a gymnast had cuts on her hands and was playing around in the fish tank. The wound worsened and apparently it was some sort of terrible parasite.... Anyway in the end she didn't have 100% control of that hand anymore and had to stop gymnastics.

I know, pretty extreme. But I'm sure if your fish don't have parasites, you'll be ok :D

Edit: LOL k8 beat me to it. :)

10. ionixNew MemberMember

Well, either way, I don't think you're going to be in trouble as long as the wound has coagulated (scabbed).

If you want to be really safe, and if you're in there for a while (the scab will absorb and fall apart), you could use liquid bandage spray (just a little should provide the area with sufficient water protection and allow oxygen permeation when outside of the tank (for healing)).

11. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I work on a fishing boat - my hands always have cuts on them. The big question is, how healthy are you? If you're someone who gets sick a lot, then perhaps you should be a bit more cautious. If you are always getting your hands dirty and never get sick, then you'll be fine.

Of course freak things happen, but I would think that if any of our members got something from their tank, we would hear about it....and I can't recall a single such thread. Wait...I think someone got a finger infection once.

12. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I wasn't really that concerned. Minus a weight/joint issue for my age I'm healthy as an ox *flex*, only get sick when the seasons change and flux too much (like it is now... 70 degrees in December in MD!?!?!?!) Last injury related infection I got was like ... 6... 7 years ago? And given that I breathe in ... poo/hay/ammonia/misc at a min of 8 hrs a day, and dust the remaining 16 hrs... I'm not squeemish or anything, just wanted to make sure it's not something I should be concerned about. or if my neosporin would have an adverse effect on the fish :(

:) None the less, it was a bit creapy that on both of my planned cleaning days I got cut on my hand... doesn't normally happen. wwwweeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiird! oh well tanks are clean and I wont have to deal with this again!

Thanks for the reassurement! :D

13. slimeneo

Yeah, pretty weird how it was suddenly 70 deg yesterday then 40 deg today..... a bunch of my friends are sick too lol.

14. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I'm actually still fine, which surprised me. I coughed a little from dusty stalls, sniffled a little while riding (that was kinda random but not abnormal for this time of year with the dry air). Random temp jumps is normal for us, so I'm used to it, but Tues it went from hot to chilly with cloud cover. I've NEVER seen a jump like that, THAT fast! The world's gonna end :'( before I get my camera and my rams! This ain't fair! :p

15. slimeneo

I hope there's a big snow storm before the world ends. I'll spend the last day with my fish <3

16. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Hmmmm I dunno ... I don't have all wheel drive, so I'd have to shovel. I hope it snows on the weekend! :) I don't like dealing with other drivers in less-than-perfect conditions. They crazy!

I'll prolly have to work on the last day of the world anyways! :;laughing

17. slimeneo

Take the day off! Or if there's a big snow storm, maybe you wouldn't have to anyway :p

18. k8XP

k8XPValued MemberMember

xD it was not a pretty sight, huh!? I've been examining my hands and freaking out since watching that, lol

WASH THOSE HANDS, KIDDOS! : p and I guess if you ever get really bad cuts I'm sure you could have a significant other/friend/family member help out.

19. slimeneo

no, pretty scary..... I don't trust my parents to do it, LOL.

20. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

I have to go to school on the 21st. Seriously? THAT close to Christmas?!? Unfair:( I wanted to lock my doors and stake out on the balcony with a few rifles and such to mock the "end of the world":;laughing It would have been so much fun... and I would've watched Zombieland at the conclusion:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice