Random persons tank.....WOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was talking to the captain about my DIY chiller and one of the guys on the boat asked about my tank. I asked what he had, and he said a 30 gallon. His stock was an oscar, 2 tinfoil barbs, 3 silver dollars and a common pleco. He said he was thinking about upgrading, to which I interjected "to a 125?" He said a 55 would be plenty.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was at my neighbors house the other day after he asked if I wanted a few mollies. After being outraged at the 5 gal bucket of 50+ mollies(alive and dead) I was brought into the other room to see the kids 20 gallon.

After almost spitting up my drink lol I saw what looked to be an algae lined substrate with:
1xGoldfish(about 1/3 the size of the tank!)
2xSilver dollars(looked stunted)
1x Silver tip shark
2-5 Mollies
4xAlbino plecos(4 of em!!)

I told him he was way overstocked for a 20 and he had species together that shouldn't be, to which he replied "ahhhh they'll be alright"

I'm not to proud to admit that had it not been for the many articles and tools I found here and on other sites......I would have had him beat lol.

jdhef

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With that kind of stocking he should be beaten! (I know that's not what you meant, and I am just kidding...probably!)

BritJo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I mean I know how these things happen, most people (myself included when I started this summer ) don't do too much research and it's always those people that do great! Who knows why. I was at my LFS the other day and this woman was buying a betta and the TINIEST bowl possible. I interjected that bettas really need more space than that, and filtration. And that if she was using that bowl she should be doing daily water changes...and she just said "well I heard they don't need that and I mean it's just a fish". WHAT?!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wow! Okay... These people should be really given tons of articles to read. And just fish? Omg...

I visited my neighbour's house the other day and saw a tank (around 15-20 gallons I think) filled with 2 Angels, 2 baby koi's, 1 common pleco and some fantail goldfish. It was crazy. I told them that the tank is too small for all of them. Then they said that they've had that tank with those fishes for more than 2 years now. I was like :jawdrop: How???

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, its amazing how people treat their pets. I helped a friend move many years ago, and didn't even know they had a fish tank. The water was so disgusting that I couldn't imagine anything was alive in that 29 gallon tank. So, I offered to bring over my siphon to remove the water. And, they said that there were fish in there.....if they were still alive. They continued by saying that they hadn't cleaned the tank in several months and no food for a few weeks

I was horrified! When home got my stuff together and came back to take care of the tank. And, OMG what a stinking mess it was. Many dead fish that were so decomposed that I couldn't identify them. Such a sad situation. After I chewed out my friends, they said that I could take the tank and everything home. They really didn't want to deal with it any longer.

Well, I managed to rescue a 6 inch pleco, 2 Black Neons and 1 disgusting looking 3 inch Glass Catfish. Needless to say, most of the fish died after a short time.

Every time one of my friends mention that they want fish, I always explain the commitment that have to make. And, tell them that I would be willing to help as needed. This is how I ended up with some of my current fish. Rescued from others who feel "it's just a fish". Geez.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow, I guess there are just a lot of people who just don't know. I blame the people who sell them like walmart, not to say I don't shop at walmart. I only know 1 lady that works at walmart that bothers to tell people about stocking and cycling the rest just don't know or don't care. If someone knows the information and is still doing it that's just horrible. I wish I could talk to my family member about what they are doing, but it just doesn't seem to work. They don't change there water and I even offered to do it for them, but they didn't want that, so I guess I'm at a loss too.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I know. You can go to jail for animal abuse if it was a dog, horse, cow, etc. I've gotten to the point now that when someone says "it's only a fish" that I reply with "well, it's only a son/daughter" depending on their children.

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Some people nowadays aren't taught from young about how important animals or even fish. So now when they're at the age of adult mostly, they'd refuse to listen and stick to their own mindset. +1 to you, Justin, as pet shops nowadays just want to make a sale and don't bother to educate others to take more care of their aquatic pets.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
everywhere I go (except for my fave LFS) have tiny 'betta bowls' and they advertise them as the best way to keep a betta... and yes, I do blame the shops!

at a LPS they had a sign above the bettas:
Name: Betta splendens
Habitat: Asia

so far so good...

Tank size: not specific
temperature:not specific
conditions:not specific

additional notes: may be left for days without food or care, will fight with other bettas................

shocking!

And all the time I see people say crazy things...

As I was walking out of an LPS to get some filter floss...
<clerk> Hello, what are you after?
<customer> a goldfish...
<clerk> certainly. which one?
<customer>oh... the cheap one!
<customers daughter> look at this one mommy (points at the shubunkin) its cool!
<customer> Yes but its 5.00! Besides, we have to go now!
<clerk> oh... by the way, what tank do you have?
<customer> we are going to buy one!
<clerk> ok!

WOW! I don't have the courage to tell adults things (im 13!) and if I were an adult as well that they might listen to me... but if I tried, they wouldn't listen to me... too ignorant! I hate not having a voice sometimes!

But, at my LFS, I was talking to some guy and I was explaining about my tank and that I needed fertiliser. He showed me some seachem flourish, and he was saying that there are some people that come in there asking for a nemo (not a clownfish!) and a dory (not a tang...) and he asked them what tank they had... a golfish bowl! Crazy!

Infact, (this is very sad!) I once went into an LFS just before I had got my first tank, and decided that a betta would be cool. I knew that in the wild they can live in rice puddles... so I wanted one! I also wanted one in a bowl on my desk! But we had to go as it was closing time... I went home to research the betta (on FL profiles)... What? a heater, a filter for a betta! Wow, I thought...

Oh, BTW I now have to lovely bettas in a 7.5g and a 10g!

Sorry for the rant... I just hate ignorance (maybe im just a hypocrate...lol)

1hawaii50

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just stopped by my local fish store, and they have a tank of German "Strain" Gold Rams. Every single Ram in the tank had ick...and they were not quarantined...they were for sale to the public. All of my fish came from that store, and I just recovered from a vicious case of ick that took out almost my whole tank. I couldn't believe that they hadn't quarantined the sick fish. Now mind you...this is a dedicated aquarium store.

OP
Jaysee

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yallyall, even if you were an adult they still wouldnt listen to you. Most people will do what they want and tend to listen to advice that supports them doing what they want. That's a valuable lesson to learn at such a young age

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just stopped by my local fish store, and they have a tank of German "Strain" Gold Rams. Every single Ram in the tank had ick...and they were not quarantined...they were for sale to the public. All of my fish came from that store, and I just recovered from a vicious case of ick that took out almost my whole tank. I couldn't believe that they hadn't quarantined the sick fish. Now mind you...this is a dedicated aquarium store.
it happens even to the best. A sense of complacency can lead to these kind of things happening, which is why its best to QT any new additions regardless of the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 74 68.5%

Top Bottom