Random observation

Janmitch22

Valued Member
Reaction score
I think I've got a Hengel's rasbora mixed in with my harlequins. I think this mixing of species happens frequently. Pretty cool, though.

The rest of them

The odd one:

Attachments

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, I think the two species are beautiful but often confused. But it's easy to distinguish between them. Harlequin Rasboras have a distinct navy-blue "triangle" mark on their bodies, and the false harlequin rasboras have sort of "disfigured" or "rounded" on the edges triangle. Really, true Harlequin Rasboras markings are very distinct and quite easy to recognize.

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, some fish stores are terrible about mixing species or even mislabelling one. The Corydoras pygmaeus I bought were labelled as C. hastatus...which are very similar but lack the stripe down the middle.
I had never heard of that Hengel's Rasbora. They are very pretty.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It happens frequently that fish stores get fish mixed with their shipments that they did not order. They call them "contaminants". I have two little fish that a fish store gave me because they didn't know what they were and didn't order so not being part of the inventory couldn't sell. I still don't know what they are and would love to have more. Have had them for about two years. Just know they are some kind of tetra. Sorry I'm rambling
Carol

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
could we see a picture? ;D ;D

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, I'm curious to know what they are. If you can't post a picture, maybe a description? ;D

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I posted them in a long ago "whats this fish" thread. I'll see if I can find the pic. The general concensus was that they were silver tip tetras but when I went to the store they didn't look like them. They were tiny when I got them, now at adult size they are about the size of neon tetras.
The pics aren't real good. They are kind of a milky clear look with one black dot on the tail.

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they don't have any color to them except the black dot on the tail.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think that might be a Garnet Tetra aka Pretty Tetra.
  here's a pretty good picture of one...see what you think
From what I know about them they are 1.5-2 inches, peaceful, hard to find. My lfs stocked some recently.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Pretty tetra is right, but that one has black coming up the underside. Thanks for trying guys and Gals but one of these days I'll see some more and get tehm
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom