Random: Glutton for punishment -_-;

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ziggi, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

PLEASE tell me I'm not alone in this:

I can't get another tank (for the rams that I want oh so badly) ... well, technically I COULD but that whole being an adult and responsible with $$$ (and it's not my house :)...) thing kinda gets in the way.
    ... so WHY am I on craigslist looking for a deal?!

Does anyone else do something when it's like "NOOOOO!!!!"
    I hope I'm not the only glutton for punishment :'( is there a cure for this affliction-o-mine?

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

There is no cure; the only treatment is to accept the fact that you will go broke if you purchase all that you desire. But know that you are not alone in this fact, I daresay most are the same way (including myself);)

3. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! the debt *dramatic pose* I swear though, I downloaded the craigslist app... JUST for a new tank... that I cant get! omg... is this obsession? NO! I refuse!!! must ... have .... strength!!! :;soldier

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

It's really important to live below your means. You'll find that you will still get all that you want. In fact, you will get more. But so many look for instant gratification, at the expense of their future. You do not want to go through life dragging an anchor of debt from around your neck.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

Yeah, I know that already ... college loans, enough said... and I'm not done. I'm starting the new year by taking the GRE ... Jan 4th = D-day for me! :/ I still hold the Toys 'R Us theme song true to heart ... "I dont wanna grow up!" ... But I'm still a glutton for punishment cause I always look through the "store windows". When I came home from school, I wanted to move out, did a TON of browsing, opted against it. Wanted to adopt a horse, ton of browsing, opted against it. Wanted to DIY fix up the house/yard, ton of browsing/research, opted against it (actually ... this one isn't quite so true... I dont have time right now). Wanted to quit my job of 8 yrs, I'm still browsing... we'll see what happens there. Fact is, I set my self up by browsing ... alot :) then eventually opt against it for whatever reason. Hence, I'm a glutton. I'm not complaining too much, cause ya learn alot along the way, so long as you have that self-control not to turn browsing into commitment.

6. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

Ziggi, trust me honey, you are NOT alone!! Not even a full 4 days after my hubby bought my new 60 gallon, was I back on that craigslist browsing the pets section...lol...And of course! The deal of a lifetime came along. Was a 55 gal tank stand and all in really good shape. Had the filter heater gravel a ton of driftwood and other decorations, for 50 BUCKS!!! I was like...OMG...Oh and they guy was even willing to deliver it!! Of course hubby said noooooooooo(Im saying that with a snotty spoiled brat sarcastic voice lol)...But honestly I can not blame him. It would have been perfect tho. I could have given my guppies colony a nice big place to grow etc. I am still looking tho ;). lol...

Jaysee, you are so right! I wish I had had someone tell me, or teach me when I was younger about the importance of saving money and paying your bills on time. And yes, because I didnt, it has been like an anchor of anxiety my entire life. Only recently like over the past 2 years has it gotten a lot better since my hubby found a greatttt job. We have truly been blessed through out a difficult time for a lot of the rest of the country. And I am thankful every day for it. Or at least I try to remember how blessed I am.

7. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I am moving house and do not have the money for a new tank. I had a 60gal lined up and planned before we realised we were moving. I still stick my head in the LFS twice a week and am browsing facebook groups in the area for tanks, fish etc etc :/ But I do have the self control.

8. OP
    OP
    Ziggi

I'm happy I have a degree of self control... I just torture myself in the process! :) I think the fact that it's december (I dont buy for myself in Dec unless its necessary or a REALLY good deal... like 85-90% off type deal.) and I'm SO close to paying off 3 out of 4 monthly bills by March (unless I speed said process up :D) that I am sufficiently distracted until I sit down and think of the Ram setup I want oh-so-badly... buuuuuuuut I'm happy to see I'm not alone. It's crazy to want something, but know better. :) Amen for distractions though! I work on my stories or music whenever I get the urge to browse!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice