Random Food Recipe Thread

Tigress Hill

Well Known
Ohhh.....

Did you know if you took a slightly under ripened banana. Sliced it into 1/4 inch chunks. Froze it. Then add to a food processor until smooth. You'd end up with healthy, Banana Ice Cream!!

Gotta try that if you like bananas.
I do that occasionally... but I add peanut butter and honey;D

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP

Those are great additions too. My daughter LOVES to sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

Echostatic

Well Known

Those are great additions too. My daughter LOVES to sprinkle cinnamon over the top.

That's really good with peanut butter and honey. Never thought of cinnamon, I'm gonna have to try that too.

Gamer

Well Known
I do the protein shake following my morning cardio too.

1 banana
1 scoop Optimum protein powder
1 cup frozen strawberries or frozen mangos
12 oz almond or rice milk
1 tbsp of flax or natural peanut butter

So yummy, it can even render cheat days obsolete!

APColorado

Fishlore VIP
You can also add peanut butter to my shake recipe..yum

Gamer

Well Known
I am seriously considering using the coffee.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
A few recipes from the sea:

Ken

Gamer

Well Known
For breakfast after my run:

Protein Shake:
1 8 inch banana
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder
3 oz of fresh brewed coffee
5 oz freezing cold water
6 ice cubes

Blend together....and yum!!!

I did just give this a try, and it is good. It is so good that I wish I were drinking it right now. Used Optimum whey. Optimum has the best flavored proteins imo, my favorite being that chocolate mint!

APColorado

Fishlore VIP
I did just give this a try, and it is good. It is so good that I wish I were drinking it right now. Used Optimum whey. Optimum has the best flavored proteins imo, my favorite being that chocolate mint!

I buy the CostCo 6lb bag of Protein Powder (Chocolate and Vanilla). It is cheaper for me in the long run.

The creation of this recipe was that I was tired of drinking coffee and a protein shake in the morning so I decided to combine the two. The banana was for my legs (potassium) after a run. It became an instant favorite. You can even use instant coffee which I use a tablespoon.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Supper tonight was pork roast, cut into pieces, tossed in a pot with butternut squash, apples, apple juice, brown sugar, and Apple Laird brandy. It was pretty good, but the flavor was a bit off. Next time, I'm going to use maple syrup, make it a bit sweeter, and add salt for a bit more flavor.

gremlin

Well Known
Supper tonight was pork roast, cut into pieces, tossed in a pot with butternut squash, apples, apple juice, brown sugar, and Apple Laird brandy. It was pretty good, but the flavor was a bit off. Next time, I'm going to use maple syrup, make it a bit sweeter, and add salt for a bit more flavor.

Instead of salt, have you tried using bouillon? I hardly ever use salt to season food - the bouillon adds the saltiness, but it adds flavor as well. I know, I know - it only comes in "beef" or "chicken" flavors....but the chicken flavor works great for pork. It really brings out the flavor.

Oh, and cinnamon (not cinnamon sugar mix, just plain cinnamon) is great with apples and butternut squash. It might clash with the maple syrup, but it would go well with the brown sugar.

Gamer

Well Known
My favorite Tex Mex Stew recipe tonight with lean beef chunks, BBQ sauce, salsa, taco seasoning, chickpeas, corn, black beans and cilantro.

I shall devour it up with corn chips!

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Good morning,

Easy Sausage Bake

1 box Stove Top Stuffing/Pork

1 Polish Sausage (can use 2 if you want)

1/2 large Onion (can use 1 whole onion)

1 Green Bell Pepper (can use 2 Bells, One Green and one red)

1 15oz. can of Diced/Flavored/Tomatoes (can be substituted with Tomato Sauce)

Brown the sausage, add onion and bell pepper and cook it all for a few minutes until veggies are a bit tender yet crisp. Mix the Stove Top according to Directions. Use a 9x13" pan and spread the sausage/bell pepper and onion mix on the bottom. Then add the Stove Top and cover it with the can of diced tomatoes. Bake on 350 for 25 minutes.

Very Easy to make and very tasty!

I got the idea from the Stove Top Stuffing Mix box. Chef even liked it!

Ken

JessiNoel21

Well Known
Good morning,

Easy Sausage Bake

1 box Stove Top Stuffing/Pork

1 Polish Sausage (can use 2 if you want)

1/2 large Onion (can use 1 whole onion)

1 Green Bell Pepper (can use 2 Bells, One Green and one red)

1 15oz. can of Diced/Flavored/Tomatoes (can be substituted with Tomato Sauce)

Brown the sausage, add onion and bell pepper and cook it all for a few minutes until veggies are a bit tender yet crisp. Mix the Stove Top according to Directions. Use a 9x13" pan and spread the sausage/bell pepper and onion mix on the bottom. Then add the Stove Top and cover it with the can of diced tomatoes. Bake on 350 for 25 minutes.

Very Easy to make and very tasty!

I got the idea from the Stove Top Stuffing Mix box. Chef even liked it!

Ken

I make the same thing but I use my moms homemade chicken and Turkey sausages. It is so good .

ryanr

Many may know this one, but here's the most dangerous chocolate recipe.... in the world!!!

5 MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
a small splash of vanilla extract
1 large coffee mug

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Pour in the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla extract, and mix again.
Put your mug in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate if desired.

EAT! (this can serve 2 if you want to feel slightly more virtuous).
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world?
Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

aquatic1

Well Known
Parmesan chicken my specialty.

Pretty simple, I don't use an exact recipe.

Mayonnaise
Parmesan grated cheese
Bread crumbs, croutons (Italian seasoned)
Chicken breasts

Mix mayonnaise and parmesan until slightly thick consistency. Spread onto top of chicken breasts, caot the top with crushed croutons, pop in the oven at I believe 375° for about 20-30 minutes depending on chicken thickness. Top with fresh grated parmesan. I make this with sauteed green beans, steamed carrots, and my homemade (secret recipe) mashed potatoes.

Optional, top with marinara sauce. I don't use it because my family doesn't care for it.

GuineaPigster

Well Known
Recipe #1:
Vegan Chocolate Milkshake (serves 1)
3/4 cup Silk Chocolate soymilk
5 or 6 frozen strawberries
Blend and enjoy!

Dondomingo

Well Known
Honey Chipotle Lime Chicken

Time to get your grills ready for some heat that's sweet!

1. pack of your fav-o-rite chicken, for broiling use thighs, for the BBQ use legs
2. 4-5 limes dependin on the size
3. 1 orange
4. Bottle of honey
5. Seasoning mix of;
Chipotle chilI powder
Ancho chilI powder
Cayenne pepper
Smoked paprika
Kosher Salt
6. Ciltantro

Honeylime 001.jpg
Get your limes and honey and Seasoning mix ready

Honeylime 002.jpg
Now you could use more or less of these but this is the staple. I also have a bottle of the same mixed with garlic and onion powder for giggle when I want to change it up.

Honeylime 003.jpg
Grab your bag with your Trinidad Scorpion pepper out of the fridge then realize there's no room for the worlds hottest pepper on this dish..put it back. Maybe next time..

Honeylime 005.jpg
Zest a lime or two and squeeze them out

Honeylime 006.jpg
Fresh orange off my tree

Honeylime 004.jpg
Thoroughly coat the chicken, I usually use x2 as much as in the picture, but I love the flavor

Honeylime 007.jpg
Add in your honey and mix, you want a sauce consistency , not to thick, not to runny.

Honeylime 008.jpg
BBQ and coat or Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, then turn broil on high and coat. Garnish with Cilantro. (The store was out of cilantro so I garnished with Red Jalapeno.

Dondomingo

Well Known
Steak and Ale Pie

Steak and Ale Pie

Love steak? Love Pie? Love Ale? Well this is for you!!

1-2 packages of the best stew beef you can find. 1 package is usually enough for a pie, but I always like to have extra just in case.

1 White onion

a pinch of salt for good luck

2 Bottles of Guinness stout (bottle, not can), do not substitute.

1 Pie Crust and Tin. Homemade or frozen

1 Sheet of Puff Pastry

1 Cup of Beef Bisto Brand Gravy ( Granules in a can..but the flavor is out of this world!!! it's probably my favorite gravy, it's English gravy so you will have to order it online or find it at a specialty store. IF NOT , you can substitute for another beef gravy, however your result may be different.

1. Cut Beef into smaller bits , around 1/4 inch pieces (other option is to shred after cooking) add a pinch of salt.
2. Dice onion
3. Get a roasting pan and preheat oven to 375.
4. Place Beef, onion and Guinness into roasting pan, add about a cup of water to cover if needed.
5. Cover tightly and Cook until Beef is fork tender. Pull it out of the oven when done. Set aside.
6. Prepare your Bottom Pie crust as per directions in the oven. Lightly browned.
7. Separate beef from the roasting liquid in the pan. Pour the liquid into a Sauce pot and re-heat.
8. Slowly add Bisto (Gravy) to Guinness/beef liquid until thickened. Keep warm.
9. Prepare your already defrosted Puff pastry by cutting it down and rolling it to where it will cover your Bottom Pie Crust.
10. Add the shredded or non shredded stew meat to the bottom pie crust in layers with your Guinness gravy. A little beef, a little gravy..you don't want any 'dry' pockets. Reserve the rest of the gravy you have left over for pouring on top of your pie piece.
11. Place puff pastry and pie back into the oven for the recommended temperature of your puff pastry manufacturer. Keep a close eye on it, you don't want it to have burnt edges. So you might have to turn it half way through depending on your oven.
12. Pull pie out when Top Puff pastry is done and let cool for for a sec then eat away.

Have it by itself or with mash potatoes and your favorite vegi..

Bon Appétit

steaknale3.jpg

smee82

Perfect eggplant recipe
This recipe was given to me by my grandfather. My fiance brought home 2 eggplants the other week and i.had no idea on how to cook them. Definitly the best eggplant ive ever had.

Carefully wash and peel 1 egg plant per person. Those spikes do sting.
slice into 1cm thick pieces and brush with olive oil salt and pepper.

Throw eggplant in bin and get steaks out of fridge and cook them on the bbq.

shelleyd2008

Well Known
Perfect eggplant recipe
This recipe was given to me by my grandfather. My fiance brought home 2 eggplants the other week and i.had no idea on how to cook them. Definitly the best eggplant ive ever had.

Carefully wash and peel 1 egg plant per person. Those spikes do sting.
slice into 1cm thick pieces and brush with olive oil salt and pepper.

Throw eggplant in bin and get steaks out of fridge and cook them on the bbq.

Is it necessary to peel it before tossing it?

smee82

yep it sure is after you spike yourself with the eggplant a dozen times you will never alow one in your house again.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
yep it sure is after you spike yourself with the eggplant a dozen times you will never alow one in your house again.

I have never had eggplant with anything that could be considered a spike. I've had zucchinI needles jam into my fingers, but not eggplant. I typically serve it with the skin on.
After a moment of research, I have discovered that the spikes are on the leaves, and where I get my eggplant, all of the leaves are removed. Hence, I've never been hurt by an eggplant.

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
My favorite cupcake is actually savory and not sweet. I may make some this weekend and would be able to post a photo.

It is made using bisquick mix because I'm not much of a flour, baking soda, etc. kinda girl.

I blend the milk and bisquick (the biscuit recipe on the box) together with garlic powder, diced roasted red peppers (get the jarred peppers because they come in this wonderfully funky oil and you want that flavor) and shredded cheddar cheese (or any flavor shredded) in a bowl.

You then sautee diced smoked 4-cheese sausage and diced vidalia onions and mix that in with the other ingredients.

This is a thicker batter. I use an ice cream scoop and drop by scoops into cupcake holders in a cupcake pan. If you don't care about uniformity, you could also just spray Pam on the pan and drop the scoops directly in. Sprinkle a little kosher salt on the top of each muffin.

Bake at 450 for about 9-11 minutes. Do the toothpick test to check doneness.

Put the pan aside to cool and drop a pat of butter on top of each muffin to melt down and give you all that buttery goodness.

You can eat these either hot or room temp. They're great either way but they are much more decadent when hot.

P.S. I don't measure ingredients for something like this. Just eyeball it. I would say give it your best shot, based on your personal preferences and you'll probabyl still love it!

shelleyd2008

Well Known
Enchiladas--

Sauce:
2 T oil
2 T flour
2 T chilI powder
2 c water
3 oz. tomato paste (I used ketchup and it worked okay)
1/2 t. cumin
1/4 t cayenne pepper (I didn't have any so just added some more chilI powder)
3/4 t salt

Mix oil, flour, and chilI powder together over low heat until simmering. Add remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, stirring often. Cook to desired thickness.

I used hamburger and mashed black beans, cooked like you would for tacos. Using soft tortilla shells, fill shells with 2-3 tablespoons of meat. Roll up and place seam-side-down in a casserole dish. Continue until you fill the dish/run out of ingredients. Pour sauce over tacos in pan, cover and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until bubbly. Sprinkle shredded cheese over enchiladas after baking. You can also put cheese in with the meat (like a taco) or use the cheddar/nacho cheese soup and pour it on when you put the sauce on. Very nummy and very spicy! At least they were for me! You don't have to make the meat like for tacos, that's just what I did. Probably wouldn't be quite as hot with just plain meat but 'the boy' didn't want enchiladas so I just made him a couple of tacos with the meat before I put the sauce on

Taco seasoning recipe if you need it:

1 T chilI powder
1/4 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
1/4 t oregano
1/2 t paprika
1 1/2 t cumin
1 t salt
1 t black pepper (equivalent to 1 packet seasoning mix)

kevymd

Well Known
Wow I couldn't have picked a worse day to read this thread. I'm skipping lunch!

Sigh. One of my favorite things to do is to sauté random veggies together (usually spinach, zucchini, squash, and finely diced tomatoes) in olive oil, garlic, and just what ever herbs and spices I feel like tossing in, then I boil up some pasta, and toss it all together. Put a little Parm on it and BAM. Hot or cold, breakfast, lunch, or dinner. When I'm feeling fancy I put bacon on it.

Edmund

Well Known
Delicious MacaronI and Cheese

Ingredients:
8 ounces elbow macaroni
5 tablespoons smart balance (or butter or margarine)
5 tablespoons flour
32 ounces milk, warm (110 F)
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 pound ham, cubed (optional)
5 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
5 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
5 ounces monterey jack cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2. Preheat oven to 350. Coat a 9 x 13" baking dish with cooking spray.

3. In the stockpot, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, then whisk in warm milk a little at a time. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer. Mix in salt, pepper and cayenne; stir frequently until sauce thickens.

4. Remove pan from heat and stir in cheddar, mozzarella, monterey jack and ham. Combine pasta with sauce and stir well. Pour into baking dish. Bake 45 minutes.

I do a version of this without nearly the precision of instructions, but I substitute fresh jalapeño peppers (seeds removed if too spicy for others, but I like spicy) for the cayenne, and grate some of the cheese on top so the oven phase is mostly to give it a toasted-gooey cheese topping, like lasagna gets.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY: I am looking for an eggnog recipe for this Christmas. There's plenty online, but I know you guys here well enough that 'ITS DELICIOUS' has some actual impact to it. Hehehe.

aquatic1

Well Known
Apple Pie cookies

Two boxs pie crust(each one should have 2 crusts) or you can make your own, I don't know how too personally.
1can apple pie filling
1 jar caramel sauce (I used homemade caramel sauce, courtesy of my best friend)
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk or water

Take one pie crust, roll it flat. Top with thin layer of caramel sauce.

Take about 1/2 can of pie filling, and dice it up into yummy mush. Take said mush and spread in light layer over top of the caramel sauce.

Take second pie crust and slice it into strips (I didn't measure mine). Take the strips and layer them on top of the carmely, apple mushy, first pie crust. When you layer them on, make them in lattice form, as you would with a traditional pie. (Or you can just lay the whole second crust on tope and cut slits in it )

Whisk egg and milk to make egg wash. Brush light layer over top of crust.

Take a cookie cutter and cut out as many cookies as you can. (I cut the leftovers into squares and baked them too)

Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes until deliciously browned.

Repeat with second box of pie crust, and other half of apple pie filling.

Sooooooo yummy, I just made it for my first time.

Attachments

• IMG_163716037353955.jpeg
    IMG_163716037353955.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 103

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie

Good morning,

I made the Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie using the recipe below with the addition of 1 tsp of Vanilla Extract and 2 cups of Chocolate Chips. Delicious! I doubled the recipe to make 2 pies. No nuts. The extra cup of Chocolate Chips replaced the nuts.

Notes: Reese's Peanut Butter Chips can be substituted for Chocolate Chips. Yum!

1 9" unbaked pie crust
2 large eggs
1tbs vanilla extract
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup softened butter
2 cups chocolate chips (or peanut butter chips)
(you can substitute 1 cup of nuts for 1 cup of chocolate chips)
Bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

Sift the flower!

Ken

CCCPie.jpg

Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

MashedPotatoes.jpg

The Mashed Potatoes were delicious. I also found the recipe on line, linked below. These are made 1 day in advance:

Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients

• 3 pounds potatoes (about 9 medium), peeled and cubed
  • 6 bacon strips, chopped
  • 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/4 cup 2% milk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3 green onions, chopped

Directions

• Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender.
  • Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain.
  • Drain potatoes; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding cream cheese, sour cream and butter. Stir in milk and seasonings. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with cheese, green onions and bacon. Refrigerate, covered, up to 1 day.
  • Preheat oven to 350°. Remove potatoes from refrigerator and let stand while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p31

Ken

LyndaB

Fishlore Legend
Garlic Cheese Grits With Shrimp

Ingredients:
Grits:
1 cup uncooked grits
2 cans chicken broth
water
6 oz whipped cream cheese
pinch cayenne pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp kosher salt

Shrimp:
2 tbl butter
2 tbl olive oil
2 tbl minced garlic
1 can Hunt's diced tomato (garlic basil oregano)
1 lb fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use frozen raw shrimp, thawed)
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tbl parsley
1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
salt to taste

Put 2 cans chicken broth and enough water to equal 5 cups total liquid into pot. Bring to rapid boil. Slowly stir in grits, garlic powder and salt. Immediately reduce heat to low, stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently. At about the 20 minute mark, stir in the whipped cream cheese to blend well (it will continue to melt into the grits). After 25 minutes or so, when mixture is thickening, take off heat, leaving cover on to keep warm.

In skillet, add olive oil and butter at medium high heat. Stir in tomato and garlic and sautee for 1-2 minutes until soft. Add your shrimp, turning frequently until cooked through and pink, approximately 6-8 minutes. Add parsley, salt and lemon. Stir for about 1 minute.

Spoon grits onto middle of dinner plate and spoon shrimp mixture and sauce on top.

Enjoy!

Cygnus

Well Known
Suicidal Chocolate Cupcakes

Chocolate Cake: (you'll make the cupcakes out of the cake)

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1/4 cup buttermilk
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Mix sugar, flour and cocoa.

Melt butter with water and oil; bring to boil. Remove from heat and add all the dry ingredients; mix very well.

Now add the egg, buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla extract; mix really well.

Pour batter into a 10-inch x 15-inch cake pan. Bake approximately 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool.

Cut 16 round pieces using a ring mold. Put them into the fridge.

Next, make the chocolate mousse.

11 ounces semi-sweet chocolate (recommend Ghirardelli)
3 ounces melted butter, unsalted
4 eggs, separated
1 cup whipping cream

Melt chocolate and butter together, then add in egg yolks; Put in fridge while you make the second part.

Grab another bowl, mix whipping cream and egg whites together, then grab the chilled chocolate mixture and mix all this together. Put back into the fridge until it cools completely before spreading onto the cupcakes.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Good morning,

Some really good recipes throughout this thread. Please feel free to add your own recipes of your favorite dish.

Thanks!

Ken
chef1.gif

Thread opened for your favorite recipes if you care to share!

Thanks!

Ken

BumpChristmas.gif

Feel free to add your favorite recipes of your favorite Holiday treats and other recipes if you like!

Thanks!

Ken

Mike

Admin
Wow, came across this thread while fixing some broken s. Re-opening this thread. Lots of good food recipes in here!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheEssigs
Replies
Views
COBettaCouple

Did You Know...

Please respect copyright and do not use copyrighted photos found on the internet in your posts. Please only post your OWN photos/videos. Use links to copyrighted content if you would like to share.

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom