Help Random Eggs Found In Aquarium

Faithrainey

Reaction score
IMG_2879.jpg

This afternoon I looked in my 20 gallon tank and on the wall was a group of eggs which is weird because I don’t see any of my fish breeding. In my tank I have 2 tetras (I know they are schooling fish I’m planning on getting more just a few died), 5 tiger barbs, 1 Cory catfish, and 1 dojo loach. After some research I think that the eggs belong to the eggs belong to the catfish. Which is weird because it has been by itself since I got him which was months ago. My only theory is that they either can hold eggs for months at a time or that they are just unfertilized eggs she just laid. I just want to know y’all opinions on who’s eggs they are... I would also like to mention that my fish got moved to a new tank a week ago with the addition of the 5 tiger barbs. Thank you for your help!

OP
Faithrainey

Faithrainey

Reaction score
kallililly1973 said:
Your picture has the culprit right in it. Cory eggs
Okay so do girls lay them randomly and they have to be fertilized by a male? Or do they just come out ready to go and will hatch in a few days. Because it looks dark on the inside of them..

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you have a breeder net you can take a used gift card or razor blade and scoop some into the net and see if some fry occur. If you leave them on the glass i'm sure your barbs will make them dissapear quickly

fjh

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Faithrainey said:
Okay so do girls lay them randomly and they have to be fertilized by a male? Or do they just come out ready to go and will hatch in a few days. Because it looks dark on the inside of them..
If you only have 1 cory, then they won't hatch, sorry. The eggs get fertilized after they leave the female's body but before she deposits them on a surface. They will make a great snack for your other fish though.

Antonian

Reaction score
Image1558969259.865765.jpg
everybody loves a baby Cory! Unfortunate you don’t have a male to fertilize the eggs and have yourself some little guys it’s definitely a exciting experience to watch them grow up.

OP
Faithrainey

Faithrainey

Reaction score
Antonian said:
Image1558969259.865765.jpg
everybody loves a baby Cory! Unfortunate you don’t have a male to fertilize the eggs and have yourself some little guys it’s definitely a exciting experience to watch them grow up.
So do female Corys just lay eggs to lay them? Like what induced her? Just curious..

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
From https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/cory-female-eggs-no-male-lots-of-fry.289004/
Littlebudda said:
Ok have just done a little (2hrs) of reading and it turns out that Cory cats have been known to be Polyploidy organisms meaning they can carry a set of genes from both parents and carry 3 or more sets of chromosomes, this can result in many developmental changes including asexual reproduction
From what I read, it's possible they could hatch, but also very likely they will not because there is no male. But yes, they will lay infertile eggs. This is usually caused by a drop in temperature, commonly caused by water changes.

johnbirg

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Cory's react to water changes and, in particular, softer water being added like using part rain water added during the water change. This is usually a trigger to get Cory's to spawn. As they have recently been moved to a new tank the change in the water probably got the female to lay eggs. There is no way they will hatch as they have not been fertilized.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, they will also be triggered by a significant drop in barometric pressure, which often happens when a storm front moves through. This is particularly common in the spring. Fish are very sensitive to pressure, and even in the water they can feel the coming storm from the change in atmospheric pressure. This can cause females to lay eggs even if the male is unavailable. Some years ago there was a front that came through and dropped the barometer by a near record .4 inches overnight. Almost every fish in my fishroom spawned at the same time, even though there were no water or temperature changes inside the house!

ShamFish97

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
chromedome52 said:
Actually, they will also be triggered by a significant drop in barometric pressure, which often happens when a storm front moves through. This is particularly common in the spring. Fish are very sensitive to pressure, and even in the water they can feel the coming storm from the change in atmospheric pressure. This can cause females to lay eggs even if the male is unavailable. Some years ago there was a front that came through and dropped the barometer by a near record .4 inches overnight. Almost every fish in my fishroom spawned at the same time, even though there were no water or temperature changes inside the house!
Wow. That is so cool, thanks for sharing. I would love to witness something like that.

New Threads