Random Death With Popeye

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
100 gallon tank with 5 angelfish. One is 3" (including fins) and the other four are about half dollar sized ( including fins).

They've been in there about a month. I used cycled media in an eheim 2217 and dosed with seachem stability.

50% water changes weekly. 0 ammonia. 0 nitrites. Less than 10 nitrates.

Everything has been fine. Water, clear, everyone eating, no fighting.

Did a 50% water change today and a couple hours later, one of the smaller ones is on his side in the sand, bilateral popeye, and when he tries to swim he goes in a spiral motion.

Can anyone tell me what's going on?

Addie42

Well Known Member
Reaction score

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
The fish was a loss and the tankmates are fine, so I don't think it's emergent. But I'll oblige.

What is the water volume of the tank? See above
How long has the tank been running? About 6 weeks here. Years with previous owner
Does it have a filter? See above
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 79
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) See above

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? See above
How much of the water do you change? See above
What do you use to treat your water? Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I vacuum the substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? I used cycled media and Stability
What do you use to test the water? API Master kit in conjunction with Seachem pH/Ammonia Alerts
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:Nitrite:Nitrate: see above
pH: 7.0

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? Daily, i skip sundays
How much do you feed your fish? Without weighing food daily, this can only be answered subjectively. I don't overfeed
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega One, Wardley, Hikari, Sera, Tetra, Aqeon, Fluval, API, Zoo Med, Ocean Nutrition
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, both. Along with flakes, pellets, and very occasionally live foods (mostly insects and insect larvae)

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 weeks
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? About 15 min before he was too far gone to save (was busy changing water in several other tanks)
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? See above
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Kordon Rapid Cure
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? He had some fin damage
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? His fins were improving

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now) see above

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Since you had the fish for 6 weeks and it was fine I would say something may have been in your water when you water changed. Town may have cleaned the pipes or system with some mild cleaner that’s harmless to us but not to fish. Other survived because there older and stronger.

BeardedTetra

Reaction score
3 of the other angelfish are the same age/size and were bought at the same time from LFS. I also changed water in 3 tanks with guppy fry in them with no other losses noted.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 23 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 57 64.8%

Top Bottom