Random Breeding And Medicating Tank

Charlie83

Reaction score
Hey,
Had a couple of my yellow labs with stringy white poop so I've started treating the tank with metroplex...I just caught my kenyi's breeding. Is it safe to keep medicating my tank with holding female? Will she stop eating completely now or? Just looking for some tips. Probably best to get her in a separate take asap huh? Thanks guys in advance!
cd577493cad6dc49da1c9f987015d54b.jpg
5a0f523e9755580bcf82078294bbbedb.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would say that particular medication should be no danger to eggs/fry in the mother's mouth. However, unless you have more females to get the male's attention, I would consider moving her to another tank. If possible, try to move her without taking her out of the water. I have often caught female mouthbrooders who were holding at least a week, and it was only when they hit the air that they spit out eggs/fry. Use a bowl to dip her from the tank after you catch her, don't just lift her in the net. If this is her first time, just catching her in a net may stress her into spitting, though.

OP
C

Charlie83

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:
I would say that particular medication should be no danger to eggs/fry in the mother's mouth. However, unless you have more females to get the male's attention, I would consider moving her to another tank. If possible, try to move her without taking her out of the water. I have often caught female mouthbrooders who were holding at least a week, and it was only when they hit the air that they spit out eggs/fry. Use a bowl to dip her from the tank after you catch her, don't just lift her in the net. If this is her first time, just catching her in a net may stress her into spitting, though.
I have 1 more female in the tank that he's been chasing. It's her first time holding while I've had her. Do you think it's better to move her right away or give her a few days? Problem is I need to do a water change...figure I should move her same time...I have a small breeder float box but I don't wanna have her in there for 18 days.

chromedome52 said:
Should I just get the male out?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Breeder box is a death sentence for the fry, and possibly the mother. If you don't have another tank, just leave her. If you want to save fry, you would need another tank anyway. Either the eggs or fry will be eaten, and she isn't that likely to be killed if there are plenty of hiding spots.

OP
C

Charlie83

Reaction score
Ok. I will set up a 10 gallon and transfer her along with the current tank water she's in

New Threads