Random Act of Kindness Contest

1. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

This is something that I'd love to see happen here, since the members here are always awesome, willing to help out beginners and experienced aquarists alike. Here's the premise -

This is a Random Act Of Kindness Contest, or RAOK for short, is a contest where the person running it offers up something for free if the winner is willing to pay shipping costs. If the one running it wants to cover shipping costs as well, that's up to them. It's up to the one running it what kind of contest it should be, it can be anything from a 250 word short story to a themed photography contest to beginners showing their need with trying to set up a tank or the first four to respond or anything they can think of, as long as it's appropriate for a family-type forum like this. A deadline will be posted then the winner chosen by the one running the contest.

The moderators are watching this thread to see how well it does. If enough RAOK threads are made, then a RAOK subforum may be added to Buy/Sell/Trade/Free. :) So let's do this!

Prize: 20 Red Cherry Shrimp. Winner pays shipping costs (Usually $5-$10, depending on your location). Heat pack is free!

How to enter: Show your creative side and write a 250 word short story and post it in this thread!

Deadline: EXTENDED to Friday, March 23, 2012 at midnight.

Get to it! :;scuba

2. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I'll try my best, but I'll have to keep my eye out for sirdarksol since he's published :;nin

Is it okay if its on the 300 side of 250?:;rules

I'm slightly longwinded :giggle:

3. LockedBox Member Member

I take it that you can't ship these shrimp overseas?

4. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

So, the essay itself has nothing to do with a random act of kindness, right? Because that's kind of defeating the purpose. RAOK's should be done quietly, with dignity and definitely behind the scenes.

5. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I'm afraid not, the costs of doing that quickly would be high and I don't know if it would be legal to import live shrimp in your country or not...

The essay is the random part. I don't know who's going to be chosen. You don't. The participants don't. Not until the end.

One way you could do this quietly and truly at random is have people choose between 1-1000, then you use an online random number generator. The winners are PMed and not posted in the thread, thus done "behind the scenes". No one knows except you and the randomly chosen ones.

While there's nothing wrong with that method or your preferred method, there's a high chance that this movement won't spread because it was done quietly. People are a social species and like to join in on a public goal. It wouldn't spread to other people and make them feel compelled to share.

That's the point of this. To share what you have while having fun at the same time. When's the last time a Free thread was made? I haven't seen a Free thread made in quite a bit. Sometimes people don't know they could have a chance at something they might need if it was not posted publicly. They don't know who to ask because all they see is for sale threads and think everything has to be bought.

The person who wants to donate something also most likely won't know who would like the donation. They can't find anyone except those who they already know. Those who you already know will most likely be already experienced aquarists. Beginners who you don't know who have 50 posts will have learned how the cycle works by then will be able to join in. So how do you find those people? You hold a contest or a drawing or put up a thread in a public manner.

Everyone who joins in will have a fair shot. If you do it anonymously, you leave others out. But if you do it publicly, someone or several people win, yes, and others are still left out but that's why more RAOK threads need to be made. After all, there's only a limited amount to what you can give away, in the end, someone will still be left out. RAOKs done publicly will influence others to do the same, and the percentage of people who got it and will feel compelled to do the same for others will increase. I myself was a recent RAOK recipient since I just got some free plants. That made me feel like I wanted to pass it on and give someone else something.

I have noticed that a lot of new people who join are young people who depend on their parents for money to get started or move forward with this hobby. A lot of the time, they feel restricted because the parents won't spend the money since they see this hobby as a pointless waste of time. It's not. How do we encourage these young people to stay with this hobby and not give up? By doing this. If a winner of one of my RAOKs was a young person who doesn't have a paypal account and couldn't join in because of shipping costs, I would happily eat the shipping costs myself and send the prize to them to help encourage them.

That's my point of view on this. If you prefer the anonymous way, there's nothing wrong with that. It will just stay anonymous to those involved and leave others missing out on an opportunity.

I apologize for the long post! Turns out I ended up writing a 250 word essay myself! :)

6. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I hate to say this, but I'm more confused now than I was before you responded to my question....... :confused:

I'll ask as simply as I can...... what is the essay about? Anything? Something in particular?

7. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

LyndaB the random act of kindness is ZeeZ willing to give away RCS. However he cannot give shrimp to everyone that wants them, so he's gonna read a short story by everyone and then decide who he's giving the shrimp to. At least that is how I perceived it. I don't believe the story is supposed to be about a random act of kindness, I think it can be anything at all.

8. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

That's exactly what I needed to know! :;hf

Do essays about how difficult figuring out some posts can be count? :;smack

9. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Oh! Hahaha, please allow me to take this rather large foot out of my mouth. :p

I thought you were saying this shouldn't be done publicly but privately. Yes, Angel is spot-on! It can be about anything at all! A personal experience, a work of fiction, your life story cast as a betta, even how to change the oil in a car. ;)

At least you know the reasons behind this thread! :)

10. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Well here's mine! The events are a true story from my life this past April and part of the reason I was absent from this forum for some time....

As I looked out onto the yard, I knew my life would drastically change.

I came home from school, like any normal day, except it wasn’t. Today my mother was submitted into hospice due to lung cancer. I used to not know the difference between hospice and hospital; people who go to the hospital hope to live, people in hospice are waiting to die. There was a hospital bed in the living room where the couch used to be.

My sisters and I were in the living room giving each other pedicures, and pretending not to notice that we accepted our mother’s imminent passing. Earlier the sky was clear, but now we could see the thunder clouds rolling down the valley. My dad was out in the barn finishing milking the cows. When I went out to the car to get the rest of my school things I noticed the wind. It was whipping my hair around, and wrenched the car door out of my hand when I tried to open it. I could see shingles being pulled off the roof and instead of being blown onward, they were spiraling skyward.

We all decided to troop down into the basement to safely wait out the storm. I remember looking back and seeing mom turn around to pick up the little lap dog, making sure she got to safety with the rest of the family. The house, my home since birth, gave a shudder. My father came barreling in the basement door.

“The whole roof is gone.” His eyes were crazed.

I turned and looked out the door. The contents of the attic, my childhood, were flung across the yard and surrounding fields. The roof was in the lane. Then the water started pouring through the floors above us, filtering down, as the floodgates in the clouds gave way.

250 is not a lot of words!

11. callichma Well Known Member Member

Wow! That is an awesome and terrifying story. I love how you wrote it. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I can't imagine dealing with 2 such heart-wrenching tragedies at once. How are you and your family doing? I know this is off topic, but just had to respond.

12. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

:;ot The next day we packed everything and put it in a trailer (like you see a semi pulling down the highway). We stayed with family until we found a house we could rent across town. We moved there. Mom died in August. We tore down what was left of the old house (There was extreme water damage and the foundation resettled making the whole thing unsound). We built a new house (moving permantely wasn't really an option, since we live on and run a dairy farm. We are now in the new house and slowly unpacking the trailer. I stopped participating in fishlore as I had to empty all my aquariums and wasn't allowed to have any at the rental house, it was too hard. But now I'm starting an aquarium again :D Thanks for the prayers, it has been very hard.

13. callichma Well Known Member Member

I promise not to go off topic after this. Angelfish, thanks for the update. You sound like a strong person.

14. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the support guys! Check out my fb if you wanna see pics! Deanna Yoder is the name and my avatar is a picture of old skeleton keys on a hunk of wood (its a key-board :giggle: )

15. bettanewbie Member Member

I would just like to share a story I wrote if you don't mind, I don't think I have a means to pay for the shipping costs. Maybe someone can get inspiration from it. :)

It was a dark day, as always, dreaded to say the least. My glass jail cell seemed to give me no comfort, just as it has for the past three weeks. As people pass by, I weakly flare my fins, hoping to convey a feeling of “Pick me! Please!” as my other brothers have done before. Here, you pick up quickly that in order to get chosen, you need to be something special. Pretty depressing I’d say, since all of my color is gone, and most of my fins are ruined. I guess I will have to rot here. Crying won’t do well either, it’s like begging for people to pick me less. Maybe jumping out of this rotten would do me better.
    What’s that? Is there a person picking me up?! Please! Pick me! I will love you! I will grow back my fins just please give me a chance! Oh! I’m getting moved to the bag! I never thought I would see this day! Thank you, thank you, and thank you! I can’t wait to show you how I can flare my gills! Oh, and what’s this? You are saying,”…yeah he will do great in my five gallon tank…” A tank?! A real tank? With real food and heat? Man, I can’t wait to get there!

16. callichma Well Known Member Member

Makes me want to go rescue a betta.

17. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Great stories, guys! And yes, I know, 250 isn't a lot, but it isn't a strict rule, more like a guideline. ;) If you want to go over that, that's fine by me.

It seems the deadline might need to be extended to allow more people to participate... Should I do that?

After all, it's 20 Free Red Cherry Shrimp!

18. angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

Yeah. extend it a bit, It seems like people haven't seen this thread....

19. Chicken farmer Well Known Member Member

Extend it. I am working on a story.

20. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

You got it! Deadline extended to next Friday, March 23rd at midnight!