Ranchu QT

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

All right so the little wiggly East Coast Ranchu juvis have allowed me to video them in their QT. The lighting isn't great so it's hard to see how beautiful their colorings are. Chise is the most lovely, glowy orange/yellow and the scales on the two chocolates are just extraordinary bright and well-defined. They just melt my heart looking at them.

Now, I don't know how to do the fancy text and music overlay so don't mind the noisy television in back. In fact, watch on mute. And the blue bag has the collander I bought in case Hershey decides he wants to hound-dog Chise again. It's a QT so it's nothing much to look at but I wanted to introduce them anyway :)

I noticed they "yawn" a lot, especially Chise. It freaked me out thinking they had gill flukes, especially when I thought I saw Chise clamping a gill. I plan to do a prophylactic treatment with PraziPro but the tank is in a tiny mini-cycle as the pre-seeded biowheel catches up to the bioload. It's totally manageable, so far neither ammonia nor nitrite have gone above .25ppm and they are currently much lower than that, I just can't go 5-7 days without a WC I don't think. I don't expect this mini-cycle last very long though. God love seeded filter media. This is now my new favorite way to cycle a tank.

I think it might be something in my municipal water supply that makes them do this yawning. My goldies in the 29g yawned a lot when I first got them too. It looks cute though, she yawns and smacks her lips afterward just like a person, I just hope that she's okay.

http://youtu.be/J0WNbAnrvQM

2. mg13 Well Known Member Member

You have a lot of time on your hands, all these fish to care for and then all the time you spend on fishlore...:)

lol

pretty fish, and I'm glad you found a name for her... :)

3. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

They look so healthy and active, Im very curious to see if any color change will occur in your darker ranchus. The one that stays to the right of the tank in most of the video is my fav. :)

4. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Haha it's just been really slow at work lately. But soon I'm starting the nursing program and things will change, so I'm taking advantage while I have it.
    Rivieraneo - I'm really interested to see what becomes of their colors as well! They're around 7-8 mos right now so they've got some time, though their color is really solid. It's like a grab bag of surprises. The one to the right is Sayuri, she's the most shy and took the longest to recover from the travel. She lets me look at her for awhile then goes off to the right of the tank and hangs out there till I leave haha. She's super sweet, she doesn't really have pouty goldfish lips, I think her wen is a bit big for her around the mouth, but when you do see her open her mouth it looks like a smile, it's the cutest stinkin' thing.

I have to say...I really love the 20 longs and long-style tanks in general. I might go grab a couple more before the DPG sale ends, I love of the look of these long, shallow tanks. I feel like maybe Rex would be happier in one of those tanks too until he grows out, maybe have fewer buoyancy issues. Though he's been too busy bumping and chasing Motley in the 29g to get stuck at the surface haha. It's kind of wild, I didn't even realize juvis exhibited this behavior since no one is producing eggs yet.

5. HappyKnitter Member Member

They are really cute!♡♡

6. claireputput Well Known Member Member

They are stinkin cute! :)

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thank you :) They are so sweet. It's fun winning their hearts. They are not used to being stared at all day like my pet store rescues were haha. So my little pet shop fishies were never shy or hiding, they required little persuasion to come play with me. It takes a little more work with these ones and it's a fun little challenge winning their hearts :p

8. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Haha okay so the video probably won't look much different to you guys, but here's another. They become more personable every day. You can see now they are coming to greet me happily instead of running away haha. I really wish I could get a close up of Sayuri's mouth, it's so cute. She doesn't really have lips, or else her wen is overgrown, so she kind of has a smile. Somewhere in the middle of this video, she yawns and it's stinking adorable. It's the widest I've ever seen her open her mouth. Normally she just opens one side of her mouth...like Katie Holmes in Dawson's Creek lol. Something very endearing about her (Sayuri, not Katie haha). She's also very bonded to Hershey, they're all bonded, but he helps her out a lot. I watching him snap a piece of a pea in half for her so she could get it in her mouth!

http://youtu.be/uPmASunz2YI

9. old hippy Member Member

adorable little pudgies!

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Thank you ;) I do love them lots!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

Very cute darn you & them. Husband will freak when I want another tank for Endler's & now goldies:sly:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. fishingdeep Member Member

I like the post so thank you, but goldiies yawn all the time. I'm glad to see your video

13. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Fishy Friends - I'm LOVING that goldies, especially ranchus, are getting the love they deserve around here lately :) Your husband will be fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine lol, just get the tank. My boyfriend keeps lightly suggesting to me that I maybe shouldn't keep anymore tanks beyond the 75g once everyone is in it and the 10g, which I'm not planning to do until I finish school anyway, but I did catch him playing with the ranchus the other day. And if MY boy can love them, yours can too :)