Ranchu lying on botton of tank- help!

arabian26

Cookie is my small calico ranchu. I just recently upgraded her from a 10 gallon to a 29, and had her in a holding tank (1 gallon) for about 3 hours while I set up the new tank, lighting, and swapped the filters over to the new tank, putting the cords down the back of my desk etc etc. She's laying on the bottom of the new tank- in the holding tank she was laying on her side and couldn't sit up on her own, now that she's in the new one she's at least sitting upright but she's taking these massive gulps that make me thing something still isn't right. She was laying straight-bodied like she does when she snoozes, but now she's starting to croissant herself and her breathing is getting faster.

She shares this space with 3 other goldfish (and yes tank size I know, I do 75% daily water changes with remineralized RO water and have ammonia-neutralizing pads in my filters. The water tests 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 nitrates, it's not the water quality)- she is the second smallest at about 2 inches. The smallest is Dreamsicle a 1 inch rescue oranda. Then my 2 newcomers, a 3.5 inch calico ranchu and a 2.75 inch calico ranchu. The 2 new fish have been separated from her and Dreamsicle by a mesh divider until she's feeling better.

I see no signs of ich though they were both just treated for it. I think she had a temperature shock (to help with their digestive track I keep them at 74, I estimate the holding tank my mum put them in to be at about 68) and I'm hoping I got her into properly-temperatured water fast enough. I also think she could be constipated, but she doesn't have the food drive to take peas from me right now so I'll try again in a little bit.

For more detail if I pester her she wiggles around, and if she gets on her side she tries to right herself but she can't so I help sit her up if she's stuck for too long in one position, but I'm just not sure how I can help her... please be gentle with me, I know the tank isn't big enough for everyone but I have a 90 gallon I'm just getting a stand for it, this is their holding tank and I'll do the water changes daily until I have them in a proper amount of space. I'm just trying to help my little Cookie feel a bit better. Thanks guys-

WRWAquarium

Hi

I've seen fish in temp shock before and the symptoms do match what you describe.. somewhat. 74 to 68 is a bit of a drop but I would have thought a goldfish would recover fairly quick from it. If that did cause shock.

If it's not shock it sounds like swim bladder problem maybe. Hope you can get help and the fish pulls through.

A201

I agree, the goldfish is probably suffering from stress.
Be sure to keep the lights off & temperature stable.
Extreme stress can cause death. Take things slow. Hold off feeding for a couple of days.
Congratulations on getting the new tank & welcome to FL.

arabian26

UPDATE: (since forums don't show timestamps sometimes for archive purposes this is roughly 5 hours after the post)

She's still sitting at the bottom of the tank but she's sitting upright! And she's moved herself a lot since I napped! Her breathing is a lot less hectic, still not normal but a massive improvement from where it was. My mum actually totally croaked her partner, a male ranchu called Pocky, from temp shock earlier this week with a similar temp drop, so the moment I felt the difference in the water I knew it was going to at the bare minimum make any second issue she had a lot worse. I'm going to let her fast until tonight then see if she wants to nibble on a shelled pea, so that she doesn't get constipated on top of it all! She'll eat right out of my hand without startling so I should be able to get it to her without making her move too much and stressing her further. I'm cautious but hopeful solely because she seems so much less distressed already. I've turned all the lights off in the room but one (so I don't trip hahaha) and I'm gonna let her just vibe throughout the day <3

arabian26

I have to be the unfortunate bearer of bad news- despite looking like she was on the mend, Cookie passed sometime this late morning/early afternoon. The other goldfish have been doing well, but Dreamsicle knows that he/she has lost a buddy and has been distressed, swimming around and looking for her in her last location- I've been playing with them with my tank hoops and letting them chase the colors through the tank when I draw, which has helped the behavior, and now they're behaving more normally.

Otherwise, integration with the other new ones, now named Sweettart and Rocky Road has been going well, and I see no signs of aggression or bullying towards Dreamsicle- though I'll be watching them and leaving Dreamsicle separated in a breeder when I sleep for a few days just in case. I've been trying to keep their water warmer to help avoid cold stress, but because of the poor insulation in my room even with a heater set to 78 the tank only reads at about 69/70. In the morning I have some upholstery foam I'll use to line the sides of the tank to help them maintain a stable and more comfortable temperature. Thank you all for the bits of advice for Cookie :) I know that even if it didn't save her it did make her more comfortable, and that's better than nothing in my eyes. <3

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
arabian26
Replies
Views
NevermindIgnoreMe
  • Question
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question