Ranchu Goldfish sitting on bottom

Discussion in 'Goldfish' started by ducktorwho, Jul 24, 2015.

1. ducktorwhoNew MemberMember

We have a 25 gallon tank with four goldfish in it (yes, we know that's too many). It's cycled and after testing the water, the only thing that seems problematic is the pH (nitrites and ammonia are zero, nitrates were normal), I believe it was 7.6.

One of our fish is sitting on the bottom of the tank with her fins clamped. She's been doing this off and on for about two weeks, but she seems worse the past four or five days. She is still eating and swims around a little bit after eating, but spends most of the time sitting on the bottom. Her cheeks are now looking raw too. My husband did a 20% water change, waited three days, did a 40% and waited about a week, and then did another 40% two days ago.

Any advice? What could be wrong?
    20150724_192507.jpg

2. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!! Good to have you here! :D Very creative username! :)

What are you using to test with?

Is it all Ranchu goldies?

3. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Thats not a ranchu goldie thats an oranda goldfish.. Shes beautiful one of my favourite goldies hope someone can help you out.. The problem could be just the fact that she needs more swimming space? As you probs already know goldies need 20 gallons for first and 10g for each additional fish minimum so for your 4 you would need at least a 50g tank. How are your other goldies otherwise?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

4. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Forgot to say, it's going to be very difficult to nurse her back to health and keep her there with such an overstocked tank. Can you upgrade soon?

5. Danjamesdixon

DanjamesdixonWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to the forum.

It seems you have answered your own question.

6. DrSahl

DrSahlValued MemberMember

In my opinion, that tank is much much to small for goldfish, they tend to grow very large (around 20 cm's) 8 inches? I would not put that in any tank below I would say 30 gallons per goldfish as a minimum, so if you can try to upgrade. As far as I know its also pretty hard to keep them healhty.

Most I know think its a pond fish rather than a tank fish.. but I am not that harsh, but I still think its much to small.. I am certain many of the problems are tied to the tanks size along with the needs for that particular species.. So think about upgraded it or maybe start with 1 in your tank, then slowly add more if you get a larger tank, thats my advice, without being any kind of expert ofc.

So look at the options you have and if you can get a larger tank upgrade asap or think about having only 1 until you can get a new tank..

Hope it was helpful and good luck, I hope you save the fish its very nice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice