Ranchu goldfish care

Maxwell09

renderTimingPixel.png
Ranchu goldfish care

renderTimingPixel.png
I have a 4 x 2 x 2 planted pond outside and I was planning to add some Ranchu goldfish into there.
I am located in a warm area is Southern California.

1. Will an 8 in. spillway be enough to hold the proper media for the goldfish?
  2. How many goldfish could I get?
  3. I'm going to feed them bloodworms 2x a week, shrimp pellets 4x a week, and veggies 1x a week. And twice a day, morning, and mid-day. Will that be adequate food for them?
  4. How long can they go without food? I will keep plants and mosquito fish in the pond with them. I will be traveling sometimes so I was wondering how long they can go without food by just eating the floating plants and some mosquito fish
  5. Do I have to get a certain gender of goldfish? Or could I get a mix of genders for the pond?

Thanks for taking a look! :)

jtjgg

120g

1. whats the volume of the spillway? approximate 2g of media like biomax, matrix, biohome should be enough.

2. about 6-8 goldfish depending on the size of the school of mosquito fish

3. what's the ingredient list on the shrimp pellets? what's the protein% ? for young goldfish you can use 50% protein pellets, after a year or so, 40% protein pellets. I been using Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets, and Omega One small sinking Veggie Kelp pellets.

4. in a tank, they can go atleast a few days to a week w/o food. in an outdoor pond probably a few weeks, they will eat bugs and mosquito larvae, and algae and plants. do NOT use any algaecide, there have been too many reports of mass fish die off after using algaecides.

5. gender doesn't matter w/ goldfish.

Upvote 0

Maxwell09

120g

1. whats the volume of the spillway? approximate 2g of media like biomax, matrix, biohome should be enough.

2. about 6-8 goldfish depending on the size of the school of mosquito fish

3. what's the ingredient list on the shrimp pellets? what's the protein% ? for young goldfish you can use 50% protein pellets, after a year or so, 40% protein pellets. I been using Omega One small sinking goldfish pellets, and Omega One small sinking Veggie Kelp pellets.

4. in a tank, they can go atleast a few days to a week w/o food. in an outdoor pond probably a few weeks, they will eat bugs and mosquito larvae, and algae and plants. do NOT use any algaecide, there have been too many reports of mass fish die off after using algaecides.

5. gender doesn't matter w/ goldfish.
1. the spillway cant hold that much media. What's another alternative
2. I will get 8 or so mosquito fish and let them breed.
3. The pellet has 31 percent crude protein. And the other one I have has: Blue spirulina food grade protein carotene fermented fish amino acids immunoglobulin trace minerals minerals microorganism comprehensive probiotic. Does not come with specified nutrition facts.
4. ok
5. ok
6. Will the bloodworms provide enough protein? The protein that the pellets don't have.

Upvote 0

jtjgg

1. do you have any pictures?
3. should be ok.
6. yes, that will work.

Upvote 0

Maxwell09

1. do you have any pictures?
3. should be ok.
6. yes, that will work.

1621731475649.png I have no pics but this is what it is. It is at home depot. Its 8 in.

Upvote 0

Maxwell09

if its this one, TOTALPOND 8 in. Spillway Waterfall Cascade-52534 - The Home Depot
from the customer pictures the basket is approx 6x9x6 which is about 1.5g; it should be able to hold enough bio media.

and from one question, the manufacturer, TotalPond, said this requires a minimum 800-gph pump
Oh ok thanks. And I have a 330 gph pump and it works perfectly. I think im going to do 8 goldfish, and add 4 first then the other 4 later. Thanks SO MUCH for your help!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BlackTiger
  • Question
Replies
Views
pattersonbear
  • Question
Replies