Ranchu Goldfish Care Questions

AcornTheBetta

Hi all!
I am thinking about getting a 40 breeder for my room and getting one (possibly two) ranchu goldfish. I had quite a few questions about their care so here they are:

Tank Setup and Plants:
  • What plants are good with goldfish?
  • Are there any hardscape materials to avoid with goldfish?
    • Are they prone to scratching themselves?
  • Which canister filter should I use?
    • 307, 407, or FX4?
  • What do you guys find are the best ways to stimulate your goldfish?
    • Cool scape? Tank mates? Other goldfish?
  • How do you interact/play with your goldfish?
Feeding:
  • What should I feed my goldfish so that they can have a varied diet?
  • How do you prevent goldfish from being bloated or having swim bladder issues?
  • What is the right amount to feed to make sure I'm not overfeeding?
Tank Mates:
  • What tank mates, if any, will be good with two goldfish in a 40b?
    • Maybe a school of Borneo Loaches?
  • What about with one goldfish?
I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but that's all for now. Thanks!
AggressiveAquatics?

Ouse

I’ll answer what I can!
Ello! :)
    • 307, 407, or FX4?
Bigger would be better as long as there’s not too much flow. Too much flow would blow the fish around and harm them. I have a 307 and a 407 and they’re very quiet filters. Not sure what to say about the FX4 but I do recommend the 407.
What should I feed my goldfish so that they can have a varied diet?
Good quality goldfish flakes, pellets and maybe even duckweed. They love to eat duckweed so avoid using it unless you intend for it all to be eaten.
Here are a few suggestions of peaceful coldwater fish species that make for suitable ranchu goldfish tankmates (based on some research and my own knowledge):

- white cloud mountain minnow
- weather loach
- dojo loach
- giant danio
- rosy barb
- other ornamental goldfish

Note that not all of these can be kept at once. Hillstream loaches are often sold in the coldwater section but avoid keeping them with goldfish because these loaches actually prefer warmer water.

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

Hi all!
I am thinking about getting a 40 breeder for my room and getting one (possibly two) ranchu goldfish. I had quite a few questions about their care so here they are:

Tank Setup and Plants:
    • Is it ok to use a substrate such as Fluval Stratum or should I stick do sand?
    • 307, 407, or FX4?
Feeding:
Tank Mates:
I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future, but that's all for now. Thanks!
AggressiveAquatics?
I would stick to sand, unless you don't mind capping.
Hardscapes not really unless you get a telescope breed. Or a really clumsy fish.
407 should be plenty for a 40B
I'm fairly lucky with my two goldies that they don't eat a lot of plants, so they seem to enjoy moving amongst the plants. They don't really seem to acknowledge me besides a quick check to see if the food lady is feeding them today.
Plants is another thing. It's a 50/50 shot on whether your goldies will bully plants to death. It's trial and error. If I fast my two for too long, they take it out on my Cabomba. But they don't really bother my Octopus, Sword and Anubis..

Bloodworms, fruits, veggies, pellets. Mine seem to like both frozen brine shrimp and Daphnia. Do not overfeed, I repeat do not overfeed. It's all about finding what they like. They are just like humans. Mine love overripe bananas, but they hate parley.
Feeding really depends on their activity levels and size.

Depending on how often you want to do WC's and how much work you want to put in it. And how big they grow. If only once a week at max. You could easily put three in there. Possibly even four. They need a buddy. Heck if you don't mind upgrading down the road, you 5,6 or even seven. Ultimately, it's up to you.
Tankmates is hotly debated, as anything that can fit in their mouths, can become food. I have seen where if the fish were raised with smaller fish, there is the chance of the smaller fish not becoming food. But it's all about your comfort level of risk.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I’ll answer what I can!

Ello! :)

Bigger would be better as long as there’s not too much flow. Too much flow would blow the fish around and harm them. I have a 307 and a 407 and they’re very quiet filters. Not sure what to say about the FX4 but I do recommend the 407.

Good quality goldfish flakes, pellets and maybe even duckweed. They love to eat duckweed so avoid using it unless you intend for it all to be eaten.

Here are a few suggestions of peaceful coldwater fish species that make for suitable ranchu goldfish tankmates (based on some research and my own knowledge):

- white cloud mountain minnow
- weather loach
- dojo loach
- giant danio
- rosy barb
- other ornamental goldfish

Note that not all of these can be kept at once. Hillstream loaches are often sold in the coldwater section but avoid keeping them with goldfish because these loaches actually prefer warmer water.
Ok. Thank you!

I think a 407 would work best...

I can get some duckweed and throw it in a container to grow some food for them.

Ok. Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm pretty sure they can be... 68-75 is there range...
I would stick to sand, unless you don't mind capping.
Hardscapes not really unless you get a telescope breed. Or a really clumsy fish.
407 should be plenty for a 40B
I'm fairly lucky with my two goldies that they don't eat a lot of plants, so they seem to enjoy moving amongst the plants. They don't really seem to acknowledge me besides a quick check to see if the food lady is feeding them today.
Plants is another thing. It's a 50/50 shot on whether your goldies will bully plants to death. It's trial and error. If I fast my two for too long, they take it out on my Cabomba. But they don't really bother my Octopus, Sword and Anubis..

Bloodworms, fruits, veggies, pellets. Mine seem to like both frozen brine shrimp and Daphnia. Do not overfeed, I repeat do not overfeed. It's all about finding what they like. They are just like humans. Mine love overripe bananas, but they hate parley.
Feeding really depends on their activity levels and size.

Depending on how often you want to do WC's and how much work you want to put in it. And how big they grow. If only once a week at max. You could easily put three in there. Possibly even four. They need a buddy. Heck if you don't mind upgrading down the road, you 5,6 or even seven. Ultimately, it's up to you.
Tankmates is hotly debated, as anything that can fit in their mouths, can become food. I have seen where if the fish were raised with smaller fish, there is the chance of the smaller fish not becoming food. But it's all about your comfort level of risk.
Ok. I might end up capping it so that I can get some good plant growth in the tank.

Lol ok. I hope they aren't too clumsy.

Ok. I'll just test with them once I get them... Or maybe I'll set up the tank

Lol ok. I just try a variety then...

Really? Interesting...

Yeah I kinda assumed that rule applied here.

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Hi all!

Tank Setup and Plants:
    • Is it ok to use a substrate such as Fluval Stratum or should I stick do sand?
    • 307, 407, or FX4?
Feeding:
Tank Mates:
AggressiveAquatics?
Plenty, depending on your fish.
Most beginner plants, java fern, anubias, anacharis.
Amazon sword, foxtail (can depend on fish but should be fine) myriophyllium, hornwort, honestly I've never had goldfish eat any of my plants! I have two right now, I doing even know what the are, but the looked cool and my fish don't eat them so... Yeah lol

IMO and experience, it's often best to scape like you are going to keep toddlers learning how to walk instead of fish. I have had slim bodied goldfish scratch themselves so I had to remove decor. Smooth river rocks, plants, glass jars, squishy silicon anemones, things that it would be *nearly impossible* for an accident to happen on. Because things happen sometimes.

I think a nice scape with live plants, adequate swimming room, buddies, and leafy greens available 24/7 is the sweet spot to have happy, stimulated goldfish. have

As for food, I think it's good to have a staple, maybe two, (like repashy gel or good quality sinking pellets like omega one or northfin, or chopped up earthworms, they are super healthy), softened leafy green access 24/7 (spinach, lettuce, ect. I just through a bunch of leaves in my freezer so I always have some ready I can just grab), and treats here and there. For treats you can do bugs, little pieces of fruit like watermelon, frozen things, ect.

Too prevent swimbladder and digestive issue, make sure you avoid dry or floating foods that will introduce air into their digestive systems. Air is for breathing, not food. Don't accidentally train them to beg by gulping. Hand feeding will help, and I highly recommend it, super fun and gives you more control to prevent feeding time bullies!

I'd only do other goldfish. I think three would easily be comfortable in a 40 gallon. IME most goldfish DO NOT grow past 5-6 inches unless they are pretty high quality, and are usually expensive. Goldfish are social creatures, and usually do best with buddies if they are the same size. Snails work with goldfish usually, but I personally wouldn't do any other fishes, though I've heard several success stories.

I know it's a little late, but thanks for reading my essays lol. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Plenty, depending on your fish.
Most beginner plants, java fern, anubias, anacharis.
Amazon sword, foxtail (can depend on fish but should be fine) myriophyllium, hornwort, honestly I've never had goldfish eat any of my plants! I have two right now, I doing even know what the are, but the looked cool and my fish don't eat them so... Yeah lol

IMO and experience, it's often best to scape like you are going to keep toddlers learning how to walk instead of fish. I have had slim bodied goldfish scratch themselves so I had to remove decor. Smooth river rocks, plants, glass jars, squishy silicon anemones, things that it would be *nearly impossible* for an accident to happen on. Because things happen sometimes.

I think a nice scape with live plants, adequate swimming room, buddies, and leafy greens available 24/7 is the sweet spot to have happy, stimulated goldfish. have

As for food, I think it's good to have a staple, maybe two, (like repashy gel or good quality sinking pellets like omega one or northfin, or chopped up earthworms, they are super healthy), softened leafy green access 24/7 (spinach, lettuce, ect. I just through a bunch of leaves in my freezer so I always have some ready I can just grab), and treats here and there. For treats you can do bugs, little pieces of fruit like watermelon, frozen things, ect.

Too prevent swimbladder and digestive issue, make sure you avoid dry or floating foods that will introduce air into their digestive systems. Air is for breathing, not food. Don't accidentally train them to beg by gulping. Hand feeding will help, and I highly recommend it, super fun and gives you more control to prevent feeding time bullies!

I'd only do other goldfish. I think three would easily be comfortable in a 40 gallon. IME most goldfish DO NOT grow past 5-6 inches unless they are pretty high quality, and are usually expensive. Goldfish are social creatures, and usually do best with buddies if they are the same size. Snails work with goldfish usually, but I personally wouldn't do any other fishes, though I've heard several success stories.

I know it's a little late, but thanks for reading my essays lol. Best of luck!
Ok. I'll just test and sorta see what they do well with...

I think I might try to do a stream type look with maybe some vals and river rocks.

I was thinking of doing the omega one goldfish pellets as a staple since I saw them in Fish for Thought's youtube video. Are flakes bad since they tend to float a bit more or no? Also, can I give them Fluval Bug Bites as a treat?

Ok. How do I hand feed? Do you have a good video?

Interesting... I feel like anything past a pair and I don't bond as much with them. That's my only concern, but maybe I'll go for 3. How many in a 29g then? Just one I assume...

Thanks for all the information by the way!

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

29G depending on the size of the fish you get AND you don't get overworked by the WC's. 2, maybe 3 if you're feeling up to a challenge.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

29G depending on the size of the fish you get AND you don't get overworked by the WC's. 2, maybe 3 if you're feeling up to a challenge.
Ok. I'll shoot for a 40b so that I can keep 2 comfortably without a lot of maintenance.

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Ok. I'll just test and sorta see what they do well with...

I think I might try to do a stream type look with maybe some vals and river rocks.

I was thinking of doing the omega one goldfish pellets as a staple since I saw them in Fish for Thought's youtube video. Are flakes bad since they tend to float a bit more or no? Also, can I give them Fluval Bug Bites as a treat?

Ok. How do I hand feed? Do you have a good video?

Interesting... I feel like anything past a pair and I don't bond as much with them. That's my only concern, but maybe I'll go for 3. How many in a 29g then? Just one I assume...

Thanks for all the information by the way!
Very welcome!

That sounds pretty! I don't think vals should be any issue unless you have some big rough goldies. They are tougher plants.

I use omega one, definitely a reputable brand. Yes, that is a major issue with flakes. They also are harder to clean up and manage with portion control, because they fall apart so easily. Pellets and cubes of gel food are much easier to deal with. Yeah Bug Bites are perfect. Peas are more of a treat too btw, any high protein or sugar veggies or fruits should be a treat rather than a regular if that makes sense.

Well, hand feeding is pretty easy to break up into a few simple parts over the course of a few week or months depending on how timid your fish are. First it's good to just let them get used to you being around the tank, your general presence, without hiding. You know, once they start to realize you=food person lol.
It shouldn't take long, also just rest your hand in the tank sometimes, during water changes or casually. They will eventually get curious, and maybe peck at your a bit. This part also gets you used to it! When I have guests over, sometimes I let them hand feed my fish (with clean hands!!) if they seem interested in my tanks, and my very friendly fish will peck at them and they usually scream or jump because it's a weird feeling.
Then, once your fish are comfortable with you, and associate you with feeding, you can start feeding from your hand, going from "Oh food is falling? Hand is here?" to "OMG is there FOOD???" every time you do a water change lol.

I can understand that. I think three is a good number. I got four fancy goldfish at first. I think having several, but not a boat load, really makes their little personalities pop, so you can appreciate them better. Some also just have friendlier personalities, and more fish=better chance of a friendlier fish. I loved seeing all the differences.
I had my shy, gorgeous, little Rosy, my robust, dark and handsome Coal, my friendly little buddy Umbra, and sweet, baby Sunny.

In a 29, you could do 2, maybe three. I 100% agree with Evergreen on that. It also just kinda depends on a bunch of factors so it's hard to tell. It's certainly doable with three or even four, but that doesn't mean for everybody.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Very welcome!

That sounds pretty! I don't think vals should be any issue unless you have some big rough goldies. They are tougher plants.

I use omega one, definitely a reputable brand. Yes, that is a major issue with flakes. They also are harder to clean up and manage with portion control, because they fall apart so easily. Pellets and cubes of gel food are much easier to deal with. Yeah Bug Bites are perfect. Peas are more of a treat too btw, any high protein or sugar veggies or fruits should be a treat rather than a regular if that makes sense.

Well, hand feeding is pretty easy to break up into a few simple parts over the course of a few week or months depending on how timid your fish are. First it's good to just let them get used to you being around the tank, your general presence, without hiding. You know, once they start to realize you=food person lol.
It shouldn't take long, also just rest your hand in the tank sometimes, during water changes or casually. They will eventually get curious, and maybe peck at your a bit. This part also gets you used to it! When I have guests over, sometimes I let them hand feed my fish (with clean hands!!) if they seem interested in my tanks, and my very friendly fish will peck at them and they usually scream or jump because it's a weird feeling.
Then, once your fish are comfortable with you, and associate you with feeding, you can start feeding from your hand, going from "Oh food is falling? Hand is here?" to "OMG is there FOOD???" every time you do a water change lol.

I can understand that. I think three is a good number. I got four fancy goldfish at first. I think having several, but not a boat load, really makes their little personalities pop, so you can appreciate them better. Some also just have friendlier personalities, and more fish=better chance of a friendlier fish. I loved seeing all the differences.
I had my shy, gorgeous, little Rosy, my robust, dark and handsome Coal, my friendly little buddy Umbra, and sweet, baby Sunny.

In a 29, you could do 2, maybe three. I 100% agree with Evergreen on that. It also just kinda depends on a bunch of factors so it's hard to tell. It's certainly doable, but that doesn't mean for everybody.
Yeah I think it would look super good!

Ok, I'll avoid flakes with them... You just blanch the veggies to prepare them for the goldfish to eat, right?
Would this be a good diet?

Main foods:
  • Omega one goldfish pellets (staple)
  • Spinach, Lettuce, Zucchini
  • Fluval Bug Bites (Color enhancing)
  • Repashy Super Gold
  • Duckweed
Treats:
  • Frozen Bloodworms
  • Live BBS
  • Watermelon

Ok, so it's basically like teaching a betta to be hand fed. Ok, I've always wondered this, but how do you clean your hands? I just wash them with soap then scrub them extra hard when I'm rinsing the soap off to make sure there's no soap on my hands...

Now that I think about it, I think 3 might work better in a 40b...

I really want to avoid the 29g and try to give them as much room as possible, but if I'm only allowed a 29g, I'll probably only get one.

EDIT: My house's temperature goes from 70 in the day to 68 at night, will that be a problem for goldfish? Should I get a heater just in case so that they always stay at the same temp?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Ok. I'll shoot for a 40b so that I can keep 2 comfortably without a lot of maintenance.
If you're doing a 40 you may as well do three. 29 would be comfortable for two, three would just be more of stretch where you would need to pay closer attention to parameters and getting your balance. I would probably try it (because I would really want three goldfish), understanding the potential extra work it could cause, but it's not like something I'd recommend to a first time fish keeper.

Ok, I'll avoid flakes with them... You just blanch the veggies to prepare them for the goldfish to eat, right?

Main foods:
  • Repashy Super Gold
Treats:
  • Frozen Bloodworms
  • Live BBS
  • Watermelon

Ok, so it's basically like teaching a betta to be hand fed. Ok, I've always wondered this, but how do you clean your hands? I just wash them with soap then scrub them extra hard when I'm rinsing the soap off to make sure there's no soap on my hands...

I really want to avoid the 29g and try to give them as much room as possible, but if I'm only allowed a 29g, I'll probably only get one.

Main foods:
  • Repashy Super Gold
Treats:
  • Frozen Bloodworms
  • Live BBS
  • Watermelon

Balancing is fine, I usually just have a container in the freezer with a bunch of greens that I can just grab and it lasts a while with little prep. Softens pretty much instantly when it hits the water.
That sounds just fine!

Yep, pretty much. I've heard of using castle soap, or not using soap, you know all the stuff you hear. I just do the same you do, I don't think I've my fish any issues.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

If you're doing a 40 you may as well do three. 29 would be comfortable for two, three would just be more of stretch where you would need to pay closer attention to parameters and getting your balance. I would probably try it (because I would really want three goldfish), understanding the potential extra work it could cause, but it's not like something I'd recommend to a first time fish keeper.

Balancing is fine, I usually just have a container in the freezer with a bunch of greens that I can just grab and it lasts a while with little prep. Softens pretty much instantly when it hits the water.
That sounds just fine!

Yep, pretty much. I've heard of using castle soap, or not using soap, you know all the stuff you hear. I just do the same you do, I don't think I've my fish any issues.
Yeah for sure! I just don't want to have to deal with the stress of worrying a ton about parameters and water changes especially if I'm out of town for a few days or a week.

Do you blanch yours or no? If you don't blanch, do the goldfish sorta just eat it from the surface? Also, can duckweed cause bloating/swim bladder problems?

Weird. I haven't had any problems with the way I do it so I think I'm fine...

My house's temperature goes from 70 in the day to 68 at night, will that be a problem for goldfish? Should I get a heater just in case so that they always stay at the same temp?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Ooo I have more questions:
How big are goldfish usually when you get them?
Where would be the best place to buy gold fish online if my LFS doesn't really have the ones I want?

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

King Koi, Goldfish Island, Zhoas(spelling) Fancies are a couple that I've heard good things from.

Sizes it very much varies. Anywhere from about an inch to 8 in.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

King Koi, Goldfish Island, Zhoas(spelling) Fancies are a couple that I've heard good things from.

Sizes it very much varies. Anywhere from about an inch to 8 in.
How big to ranchus normally get full grown?

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

It varies greatly upon water conditions, genetics and food. But mainly genetics. My two goldies are siblings and were spawned in August. One is only about an inch not including tail, and the bigger one 2.5.

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Yeah for sure! I just don't want to have to deal with the stress of worrying a ton about parameters and water changes especially if I'm out of town for a few days or a week.

Do you blanch yours or no? If you don't blanch, do the goldfish sorta just eat it from the surface? Also, can duckweed cause bloating/swim bladder problems?

Weird. I haven't had any problems with the way I do it so I think I'm fine...

My house's temperature goes from 70 in the day to 68 at night, will that be a problem for goldfish? Should I get a heater just in case so that they always stay at the same temp?
Ok.

No. I just freeze it. I just keep a bunch in a container in the freezer, and as soon as you put it in the tank it's super duper soft.

I use veggie clips, I think they work the best for goldfish, especially when you first are getting the used to eating greens. You can get the suction ones super cheap in a pack from amazon, there's also a magnetic one that's more pricey. I don't have a preference, I have both.

Yeah, I'd get a heater. Most fish are sensitive to temp changes, goldfish are especially so. I think in the mid 70's Fahrenheit is the best range for goldfish, though they are very hardy and can live at a wide range. The cold water thing is highly exaggerated and not really the best for goldfish. You'll have more active, healthy fish if you keep the temp in the 70's. Well, then there are the matters of hibernation and breeding, but that's not something to concern yourself with until later.
"Normal" isn't really a good word for it. Like Evergreen said, it is dependant on a lot of factors. I mean A LOT.
Ooo I have more questions:
How big are goldfish usually when you get them?
Where would be the best place to buy gold fish online if my LFS doesn't really have the ones I want?
Depends where you get them. What size do you want? How much are you willing to spend? What are your goals with goldfish keeping? Breeding or showing? You'll want a large, high quality specimen, which will cost a pretty penny, I'm talking hundreds before shipping. Just a hobbyist looking for a decent fish for less than 30-70 bucks? Get a younger or smaller fish, which will be easier to find btw.

Info on online prices and brief description of some of the most popular sellers:
For fancy goldfish online, I'd say the price is usually 40+ dollars including shipping, unless you find a good deal. For one fish. It's not feasible for me, and I'm not looking for a fancy expensive fish, but go to places to find good quality fancies are King Koi and Goldfish, and Live Koi for Sale, (largest range of selection regarding size and price, reliable, popular) and then higher end places like Zhaos Fancies (Rare, Chinese goldfish from a traditional farm) and Goldfish Island (High prices, on the trendiest breeds of fancies, also very large fish).

How I try to save money and source my fish:
You gotta dig deep my dude. It's a search. I check ebay, I've found good deals there from hobbyists, had a good experience. I wanted to buy more from one, but due to the virus she wasn't able too access the shipping materials any longer. :(
I searched the internet for fish that weren't crazy prices by themselves, alone after shipping. Little luck. Best I found was KK and LKFS. Still 50+ for two small fish at best. An amount I couldn't justify to my parents.

So recently I've had luck with scouring my area and nearest larger cities, calling, visiting, spending hours online searching for nice fishstores, and I found a nice little black ranchu, and some stores that were willing to order or have carried the breeds I wanted. So I'd try looking around on yelp and Google maps for your nearest privately owned fish stores, and calling places you think are likely to carry nice goldfish, or at least order you some. I got mine for 15 bucks gives or take.

BTW 2 inches long or less are usually 15 dollars and under. I like to go for those. That way you can also watch them grow. :)

That was really long. But I hope it helps you get some ideas.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Ok.

No. I just freeze it. I just keep a bunch in a container in the freezer, and as soon as you put it in the tank it's super duper soft.

I use veggie clips, I think they work the best for goldfish, especially when you first are getting the used to eating greens. You can get the suction ones super cheap in a pack from amazon, there's also a magnetic one that's more pricey. I don't have a preference, I have both.

Yeah, I'd get a heater. Most fish are sensitive to temp changes, goldfish are especially so. I think in the mid 70's Fahrenheit is the best range for goldfish, though they are very hardy and can live at a wide range. The cold water thing is highly exaggerated and not really the best for goldfish. You'll have more active, healthy fish if you keep the temp in the 70's. Well, then there are the matters of hibernation and breeding, but that's not something to concern yourself with until later.

"Normal" isn't really a good word for it. Like Evergreen said, it is dependant on a lot of factors. I mean A LOT.

Depends where you get them. What size do you want? How much are you willing to spend? What are your goals with goldfish keeping? Breeding or showing? You'll want a large, high quality specimen, which will cost a pretty penny, I'm talking hundreds before shipping. Just a hobbyist looking for a decent fish for less than 30-70 bucks? Get a younger or smaller fish, which will be easier to find btw.

Info on online prices and brief description of some of the most popular sellers:
For fancy goldfish online, I'd say the price is usually 40+ dollars including shipping, unless you find a good deal. For one fish. It's not feasible for me, and I'm not looking for a fancy expensive fish, but go to places to find good quality fancies are King Koi and Goldfish, and Live Koi for Sale, (largest range of selection regarding size and price, reliable, popular) and then higher end places like Zhaos Fancies (Rare, Chinese goldfish from a traditional farm) and Goldfish Island (High prices, on the trendiest breeds of fancies, also very large fish).

How I try to save money and source my fish:
You gotta dig deep my dude. It's a search. I check ebay, I've found good deals there from hobbyists, had a good experience. I wanted to buy more from one, but due to the virus she wasn't able too access the shipping materials any longer. :(
I searched the internet for fish that weren't crazy prices by themselves, alone after shipping. Little luck. Best I found was KK and LKFS. Still 50+ for two small fish at best. An amount I couldn't justify to my parents.

So recently I've had luck with scouring my area and nearest larger cities, calling, visiting, spending hours online searching for nice fishstores, and I found a nice little black ranchu, and some stores that were willing to order or have carried the breeds I wanted. So I'd try looking around on yelp and Google maps for your nearest privately owned fish stores, and calling places you think are likely to carry nice goldfish, or at least order you some. I got mine for 15 bucks gives or take.

BTW 2 inches long or less are usually 15 dollars and under. I like to go for those. That way you can also watch them grow. :)

That was really long. But I hope it helps you get some ideas.
I'll look into ordering some veggie clips... They seem like a pretty useful thing to have.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a heater just to be safe since I don't want there to be temperature swings that could shorten their lifespans. Is 72 a good heat? How many watts does the heater need to be for a 40b?

Ok.

I'm really just looking for a decent fish that's smaller/a baby so that I can watch them grow up.

Ok. Thanks! I was already looking at King Koi and Goldfish, but I'll check out Live Koi for sale since they might be a good fit for me.

Yeah I'll look around. I think I can get my parents to understand my purchase of fish that expensive since these fish live as long (if not longer) than a lot of dogs...

That's a good idea! I know one LFS near me that might have it and would probably order any goldfish I like... I am trying to get some Lionchus since I am obsessed!

I was actually looking for ones that are 2-3 inches since I want to watch them grow lol

Yeah it defiantly helped! Thanks again for all the info!

Do you have a link to the person you bought from on ebay?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I'll look into ordering some veggie clips... They seem like a pretty useful thing to have.

Yeah I was thinking of getting a heater just to be safe since I don't want there to be temperature swings that could shorten their lifespans. Is 72 a good heat? How many watts does the heater need to be for a 40b?

Ok.

I'm really just looking for a decent fish that's smaller/a baby so that I can watch them grow up.

Ok. Thanks! I was already looking at King Koi and Goldfish, but I'll check out Live Koi for sale since they might be a good fit for me.

Yeah I'll look around. I think I can get my parents to understand my purchase of fish that expensive since these fish live as long (if not longer) than a lot of dogs...

That's a good idea! I know one LFS near me that might have it and would probably order any goldfish I like... I am trying to get some Lionchus since I am obsessed!

I was actually looking for ones that are 2-3 inches since I want to watch them grow lol

Yeah it defiantly helped! Thanks again for all the info!

Do you have a link to the person you bought from on ebay?
72 is perfectly fine, just a few degrees below mine at 75. I like this heater best. 150 watts. Shatterproof and adjustable temp. Pro Adjustable Heater | Aqueon Products

Good luck finding your fish! :)

Great!

Her username is tercamp_98. She's good hobbyist who breeds nice butterflies, my favorite, but once again, can't ship do to covid.

Live you for sale is also on ebay btw. The seller with the large variety of fish photographed in blue buckets or something.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

72 is perfectly fine, just a few degrees below mine at 75. I like this heater best. 150 watts. Shatterproof and adjustable temp. Pro Adjustable Heater | Aqueon Products

Good luck finding your fish! :)

Great!

Her username is tercamp_98. She's good hobbyist who breeds nice butterflies, my favorite, but once again, can't ship do to covid.

Live you for sale is also on ebay btw. The seller with the large variety of fish photographed in blue buckets or something.
Do you think I should keep at 75 or does it not matter that much? I'll check that heater out...

Thanks!

Ok. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Do you think I should keep at 75 or does it not matter that much? I'll check that heater out...

Thanks!

Ok. Thanks for the help!
I don't think it matters. I just think that range is the sweet spot for goldies.

You are very welcome, I'm so glad I could help!

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

I have another question: If I get Lionchus, will they need wen trimming?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

I have another question: If I get Lionchus, will they need wen trimming?
It's a possibility. Most goldfish owners don't have to do wen trimmings, but if the time comes it's a pretty straightforward progress to my understanding.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Would it be risky to put in driftwood of some sort in a Ranchu tank? I'm worried about the fish cutting themselves/getting scraped up.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

Would it be risky to put in driftwood of some sort in a Ranchu tank? I'm worried about the fish cutting themselves/getting scraped up.
I think they will cut themselves

Upvote 0

Evergreen2

It really depends on how clusty your fish are. If you were to go with something on the smoother side, you should be ok, sanding out anything rough.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

What sand would you guys recommend? I am going for a river/stream type look.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Caribsea is great, more pricey but definitely good quality. Pool filter sand is fine too. Just rinse whatever sand you get.
Any Caribsea sand in particular that you recommend? How many lbs for a 40 b? 50 I would assume right?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

Any Caribsea sand in particular that you recommend? How many lbs for a 40 b? 50 I would assume right?
Caribsea super naturals, crystal river. I love how it looks in my tanks. Yeah, that sounds about right.

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Caribsea super naturals, crystal river. I love how it looks in my tanks. Yeah, that sounds about right.
If I want to have plants do you think it's better to put the planted substrate in normally or cap it?

Upvote 0

NevermindIgnoreMe

If I want to have plants do you think it's better to put the planted substrate in normally or cap it?
Well, cap if it's dirt, but you probably knew that. What plant substrate are you thinking here?

Upvote 0

AcornTheBetta

Well, cap if it's dirt, but you probably knew that. What plant substrate are you thinking here?
Fluval Stratum. How many lbs of sand would I need? 50 pounds?
EDIT: Are there any grain sizes that are too small or too big for goldfish? Would sand with a grain size of 0.25 - 0.75mm be a problem with water clarity and/or goldfish health? What about 0.5 - 1.0mm?

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Maxwell09
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • Question
Replies
Views