ran out of strips

Discussion in 'Test Kits' started by wonton55912, Mar 30, 2010.

1. wonton55912Valued MemberMember

i just ran out of test strips.... should i buy a liquid kit or more strips?

2. AlexWNew MemberMember

API freshwater master test kit all the way, way more cost effective than strips and a dozen times more reliable and accurate...

3. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

API Freshwater Master Test Kit for sure. It's more cost-efficient and much more accurate.

4. OP
    OP
    w

wonton55912Valued MemberMember

i just found i have 1 more test strip. what should i do with it? i am buying the test kit today.

5. AlexWNew MemberMember

I'd just use it, maybe see whether moisture has compromised them yet, use it and then the liquid tests and see if it's any different...

6. OP
    OP
    w

i already have the ammonia test for liquid. do i just use this until i run out then use the other one?

7. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

I would test ammonia levels with both the one you have and the API kit and compare the two. If the readings are the same then there is no reason why you shouldn't continue to use the liquid ammonia kit you have now. For the rest, definitely get a liquid test kit like the API as opposed to more strips. You'll be able to do hundreds of tests so you won't need to replace it as often as the strips so you'll be saving money in the long run. Not to mention that with a liquid test kit you will be getting test results you can actually trust, which is after all the most important thing.

8. OP
    OP
    w

i got the test kit and my ph is extreamly high. al the rest is fine.

9. Prince Powder

Most fish will adapt to a pH that is outside their recommended range so long as the pH is kept stable. By now your fish have all adapted to it. Plus if your tank is cycling your pH will fluctuate a bit. Once your tank is stable then you will know what the true pH is. You might also want to test your tap water to see what you are starting off with.

10. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

what is your pH?
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    w

8.2 and my fish like 7.5

12. Butterfly

Your fish will acclimate to your pH. A stable pH is better than one fluctuating from trying to make it "perfect".
    Carol

13. OP
    OP
    w

ok but can i use low ph water in the waterchanges

14. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Wonton,

It is best to try and match the pH in the new water to the pH level in the tank. Get it as close as you can. It's been my experience that you can increase the pH levels without too many issues, but sudden drops in pH levels can be fatal to your fish. It's always best to add the new water slowly either way.

Ken

15. OP
    OP
    w

ok they have probably adjusted to it anyway...

16. Butterfly

Your tap water should be very close to what is in your tanks already.
    Carol

17. OP
    OP
    w

i meant i could use the refrigerator filter water

18. Prince Powder

I would test the water from your fridge as well as the water from your tap and use whichever is closer to your tank. Why use refrigerator water anyways when you have a much faster source of fresh water with your tap? Not to mention that with the tap you can adjust the temp to match your tank which you generally can't do with refrigerator water, unless you heat it after the fact which would mean having another heater just for your water changes.

You might also want to take into account that when you use refrigerator water to do water changes that means that you will be using more water from it than normal. That means that the refrigerator filter will need more frequent replacing and fridge filters aren't cheap, particularly when compared to a bottle of Prime.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice