Ran into some pre tank issues.

1. WolfaraRose Member Member

So my original stocking for the 55 wasn't going to work since the GW Killifish and the Rainbow Shark were super aggressive.

I would like opinions and other stocking suggestions to accompany what is below, and I will have my extra stock ideas below that.

Confirmed Stock

1x Bamboo Shrimp
    1x Viper Shrimp

1x Albino Longfin bristlenose pleco (female)
    1x Longfin Bristlenose Pleco (male)
    2x German Blue Rams 1m 1f
    4x Swordtails 1m 3f
    6-9x Fancy Male guppies
    9x Columbian tetras

Other Stock Ideas

9x Zebra Nerites
    or
    6x glass catfish or Hatchet Fish or Some Tetra or Scissortail rasbora.
    or
    1x Reedfish

Possibly any combinations of the above as well are accepted

Looking to find a unique fish, like the reedfish, or something of the like.

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

I think 9 Zebra Nerites would be a bit much, only in the case of the unsightly eggs. I have 2 in a 65 gallon and my driftwood is littered with eggs, a little on my back glass so just mainly my wood.. That aside, great snails :) Hatchet fish sound like they could make a nice addition.

3. WolfaraRose Member Member

Eggs i can deal with. A snail infestation, not so much. Hence why the Nerites.

4. WolfaraRose Member Member

Bump! Also would a Reedfish be okay with the Confirmed Stock list? If so, could I add a school of six Glass Catfish? If not, could I still add 6 Glass Catfish?

5. FiscCyning Member Member

I definitely wouldn't go with a reedfish in that tank! They are a predatory species and at least the guppies will become food.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

With the bottom dwellers and lower strata you already have I would leave the Ropefish out cause they do reach upwards of 10inches and I know with my own experience my bristlenose have gotten fussy when they have to share the bottom with too many others (even top dwellers that come down to scavenge after feeding). But that's just been my own experience.
    I think with what you have in their now the Glass Catfish would be fine adding given your water and pH isn't to high or hard, they do best in acidic water, and they can be a little sensitive to nitrates and fluctuations in their conditions..

7. WolfaraRose Member Member

Kinda sad to hear about ropefish as a not so well addition, but it's okay! Glass cats are adorable and unique! So in that case can I add about 5 nerites? Was thinking 2 spined and 3 zebra as some extra cleaners.

Edit - What about a senegal bichir? Would that eat anything in my tank? Is it compatible?

8. FiscCyning Member Member

They are also predatory fish and will eat any fish they can fit in their mouths (so again, the guppies would be at risk).

As for nerites I'd wait to see how much algae you get in your tank so you know how many snails it can support (unless you're fine with doing plenty of supplemental feeding)

9. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

You are stock ed

10. WolfaraRose Member Member

No issues with supplemental feedings, so I think I will call the stock good.

Final Stock
    1x Bamboo Shrimp
    1x Viper Shrimp

1x Albino Longfin bristlenose pleco (female)
    1x Longfin bristlenose pleco (male)
    2x German Blue Rams 1m 1f
    4x Swordtails 1m 3f
    9x Fancy Male guppies
    9x Columbian tetras
    6x Glass Catfish
    5x Spined and Zebra Nerites

11. Teishokue Well Known Member Member

Overstocked

12. WolfaraRose Member Member

I already took all of that into account thank you. And honestly I have absolutely no problem with catching fry. Nor do I have a problem with spot feeding, or providing plenty of spots and hiding places for any of the fish. I don't have much of a social life, and my tanks are an excellent hobby, especially in combating depression, bipolar disorder, ocd, and being schizo effective. I have already made arrangements with my LFS, and about 15 other people around town to take swordtail fry and GBR fry. Spot feeding and orchestrated feedings do not bother me, and if I had to clean twice a day, everyday (which probably isn't neccessary) it would actually do me more good then harm. I spot feed my bamboo shrimp now, after finding out that Skirt Tetras and Swords were getting to the food first.

If you are saying it is going to be overstocked because of the sword bloom, then please specify that.

Otherwise I think I may nix the nerites, because honestly I haven't seem to have had luck with them.

So far as MTS goes, I have about 7 more tanks to set up at this point in time. I even have a grow out tank on standby if need be. I have a saying, you reap what you sow, and the more work you put into it, (rearing fry, cleaning tanks as needed, spot feeding) the bigger the payoff will be.

Instead of stating all the reasons that you believe I'm overstocked without offering a smaller list, kinda veers from what this thread is about.

Thanks and have a fishtastic day!:;scuba

13. FiscCyning Member Member

I don't have personal experience with GBRs or glassfish so I can't speak to that, but otherwise your current stocking plan looks pretty good. No compatibility red flags and doesn't look overstocked right now. Since you have accounted for dealing with fry it sounds like you're on the right track.

I think you definitely could do without the nerites if you're just wanting them for cleaning purposes, especially with 2 plecos already. However, I realize some people want snails more for personality than cleaning jobs so that's entirely up to you (well obviously, it is your tank!)

14. WolfaraRose Member Member

Snails were for mostly cleaning, but for some looks as well, but I don't quite think they would do much more then make eggs lol. They look cool, but I think you're right, since there are 2 plecos in this tank as is. Maybe in a different tank.... possibly my betta tank.

15. FiscCyning Member Member

Nerites are perfect for betta tanks! They're like a little one-man cleaning crew and most bettas don't mind sharing space with them. Since your 55 stocking will obviously take some time, you could always see how the plecos handle things and add nerites later if necessary.

16. WolfaraRose Member Member

Yep! But I think my plans may have just changed on tank size. Have a family friend willing to part with a 90 gallon for fairly cheap..... question is what filter? 2- 110 aquaclear Hobs or a canister (that I have no Idea what to get in that case)

17. FiscCyning Member Member

I just let out a gasp of envy! ;)

That 90 will be awesome! I would definitely go with a canister filter. If you're shopping on a budget then I would look into SunSun canisters. They're an off brand so the prices aren't as horribly marked up as a lot of the ones you commonly see. They do come highly recommended though. I've done a lot of research on them recently for a 55 I'm setting up for a family member, and everyone seems happy with theirs.

18. WolfaraRose Member Member

What should the GPH be for canisters? I know its x10 gph for HOB's which means 90 is 900, but I don't quite remember the GPH for canisters.

19. FiscCyning Member Member

With canisters x5 gph or more is recommended. For really large or messy fish it can be up to x10.

20. WolfaraRose Member Member

Mmkay. So x5 would probably be the best route?