Ramshorns? Or other snails ...

1. LJC6780

LJC6780 Well Known Member Member

I have 2 Nerites in each of my 2 tanks. I would like to get more. I have been looking around at snails and I think I'd like to get some ramshorn snails also ...

Anyone have experience with them and their breeding habits? I was wanting a red, blue and brown.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They breed like crazy. I don't like them - they eat some of my plants.

3. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

I may be wrong, but I believe these are the snails I'm currently trying to get rid of. IMO you should not get any if they are what I think they are

4. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Hmm ... dang. So worse than Mysteries?

What snails other than Nerites are recommended for community tanks?

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Well the one good thing about mystery snails is that they lay their clutch over the water line and they are easily removable to dispose of. With Ramshorn eggs, its nearly impossible to get them and find them since they are translucent.

I would say Mystery snails are good - they don't seem to live too long though.

Nerites do lay eggs but they will not hatch in fresh water. Sometimes the little tiny eggs are a nuisance but they do eventually go away on their own and Nerites seem to have a longer life span.

Rabbit snails are cute - they only have 1 live birth so not a lot of babies at one time.

6. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ramshorns?

Well maybe I'll get a couple mysteries then.

What about Rabbits? Or Black Devils? Thoughts?

7. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I just replied to that on the note above - :)

8. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ramshorns?

I edited mine too! Lol looking at Black Devils too ... apparently they dig down into the substrate to clean and get pretty big.

9. shadowfish

shadowfish Well Known Member Member

nerites are the way to go!
    they eat algae and live long,mine have been going for 4 1/2 years and are still lively and pretty!

i have two males so im lucky,but if you get a female then youll have a few small white flatish eggs scattered around,but the prettiness of the snail would make up for the eggs imo.

10. Big Red

Big Red Well Known Member Member

The bds are cool they breedin brakish. Be nice snail to have.

11. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

I'm also looking at Japanese trapdoors. It seems they only breed a couple times a year and are good at eating algae and cleaning plants ...

12. OP
    OP
    LJC6780

Ok so I think I'm going to go with a zebra, black racer and tiger eye Nerite, 2 black Devils and 2 Japanese trapdoors.

That is, if I can get them to be shipped with my shrimp order from aquatic arts when it is finally cool enough to ship.