Ramshorns or Mysteries?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by coryageous, Dec 4, 2012.

1. coryageousNew MemberMember

I can't tell the difference. I have a bunch of baby snails and the mystery snails have laid eggs. I also have ramshorns snailing around in there.

2. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I don't know about ramshorns but mystery snails lay their eggs in a clutch above the water line.

You'll probably have to wait a few weeks to be able to identify them as their shapes are similar when they are that small. Do you have any pictures?

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

What Junne said... a picture can be really helpful with this! and congrats on the babies regardless the breed!

4. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

Ramshorns lay clear patches of 5 to 10 eggs. You can see little brown dots in them, only if you can find them. If the clutch is obvious it's likely your mysteries. Good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    c

coryageousNew MemberMember

No they are mystery eggs. They pinkish white and well above water. I also have pond snails. Do you think baby mysteries look closer to baby ramshorns or baby ponds? I've been assuming that every snail with a slight point is a pond snail.

6. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

When my ramshorns are tiny they have a little spirally shell, but once they are bigger than 2mm or so they get the rams shape

7. Bumblebat

BumblebatWell Known MemberMember

Baby mysteries are perfect little replicas of the adult version.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice