Ramshorn Stripes/bands? Question

Discussion in 'Snails' started by MusicalFishies, Mar 16, 2019.

1. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

I noticed that some of my ramshorn snails have this pattern. I had seen it before and just thought it was a different variation/mutation/coloring but upon closer inspection it looks a little bit like perhaps they are molting? Does that seem right? Has anyone else seen this before? It’s only on my largest ramshorns that I see the bands or stripes. Have they just grown too large for their shells? Is this just a cool pattern? Or are they molting? Is this normal? Thanks for any thoughts!
    IMG_4156.JPGIMG_4154.JPG

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Giving this a bump up for you hope our snail keepers can help answer your question today

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Did you earlier post a pic in "snailpics" as well cause I've seen this before but don't recall if that were yours.

Could it be a lack.of.calcium maybe.

Looks cool btw

4. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

Wasn’t me! I’m glad, though, that I’m not the only person on here with this question!
    Is there a way to check calcium levels? What’s the best way to add extra calcium?

5. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

The hardness readings will give you a general idea. There's lots of ways to add more. Cuttlebone, crushed coral, sea shells etc.
    I have a lot of calcium in my water so if the appearance of the ones I ordered changes in my tank I'll let you know

6. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

Perfect, @nikm128! Definitely let me know. I just find it strange that only the very largest ones have the stripes. I do have cuttlebone so I may add some and see if anything changes.

7. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

I've noticed on some of my larger red rams that they will have bands of darker red/orange along with their normal coloration. I'm guessing it was caused by times of good/bad water quality and/or lots of food, kinda like the growth rings in trees. Assuming that the growth rings would be more compact/thin it would imply poor growing conditions, meaning they have condensed pigment in that area. An even coloration means steady conditions. Just a theory, might have to put that theory into action sometime.

Other than that, if the bands are rough and pitted then it is likely calcium related.

8. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

That sounds really cool looking, any pics you can share with us?

9. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

This was a while back so I don’t have the originals anymore. Did a quick search in my snail bucket and found this guy with a couple small bands.

54E85C98-DE5C-4490-9A78-C28274B9A940.jpeg23B9BB7A-F9D5-437B-82E5-41F2499D4E56.jpeg23C08B58-5955-48C1-9375-0136939EF62F.jpeg

10. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

That looks nice, doesn't look to be "rough" or "pitted" to me. I think it's natural coloration, now the ones @MusicalFishies has, I think those might be calcium related. The lighter color looks like it sits below the rest of the shell to me

11. MusicalFishiesValued MemberMember

I’d agree @nikm128. I have smaller ones that are colored like those @Demeter shared but the large ones I originally posted are definitely a bit rough or pitted. I’ll be adding some cattle bone to the tank to see if it helps. I wonder if anyone know how long it should take for their shells to fill in?

12. bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Cool fact: Birds can get "stress bars" in their feathers that appear quite similar, and are thought to have the same cause/origin.
    upload_2019-3-19_12-14-16.png

I have some prior personal experience with these back when I was a post-grad bird bander/researcher. They're more common in younger (more vulnerable, less experienced) birds. Occasionally, we would find regional presence of these in newly fledged baby birds, that tied back to a very cold or wet stretch of days when their parents couldn't find/bring them food while they were in the nest.

Major building block of feathers: Calcium.

13. nikm128Well Known MemberMember

Probably a month or two before you notice much

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice