Ramshorn Snails and Frogbit

JRC7

I have a new betta tank with amazon frogbit. I cycled with the frogbit and not snails in sight. After I introduced the betta (pouring the betta out of the bag into the aquarium, like my local fish store told me to do), small snails have started showing up. I looked at them under a magnifier and they look like ramshorn snails (they are so small that the shells are almost see through). I think I read that they will eat the underside of the frogbit. Will they eat the underside of the frogbit? Do I need to try to get rid of them, or can I just welcome them to the tank?

kallililly1973

They are great algae cleaners. They won’t eat any live plants just dead or decaying plants. I would keep them in there . Just don’t over feed and you won’t get an explosion of them.

Upvote 0

Madeline Peterson

I've got ramshorn snails in a tank with frogbit. They only eat plants when they don't have enough other food. They breed at a speed that puts rabbits to shame, though. If you don’t want a huge number of snails, I'd deal with the problem now, before it gets worse.

I generally just let the snails in my tanks be, and actively breed them in a few as loach food, so I can say for a fact that, if well fed, they don't cause problems even for plants. Feed them sinking algae pellets if you decide to keep them. If you think they will look unsightly, though, get an assassin snail. It'll deal with the other snails quickly enough, and, if you only get one, your odds of it reproducing are low. However, the females can store sperm, so you might get baby assassin snails. I've been told they generally don't breed as quickly as other snails, though.

If, after it gets rid of the other snails, you don't want the assassin snail, you can probably rehome it or give it to your local fish store. I wouldn't do this until you've planted the tank to your satisfaction, however, because snails generally come in with plants. If you decide you want to keep it, just feed it small bits of sinking shrimp pellets, or similar. That'll be close enough to its preferred diet.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
MisterSnuffles
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas