Ramshorn Snail Appreciation Thread

SnailsGalore

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If your LFS won’t take them, I’ve read that you can put them in the fridge then the freezer. I haven’t tried copper. I don’t have the heart to squish them either. I actually turned my extras into an eBay side hustle, so I’ve been fortunate not to have to euthanize any!

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll ask locally but I gathered that bladder snails were considered a pest. I really hate to kill anything but I have a feeling we could be overrun

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With reference to my earlier bladder snail problem I gather copper sulfate might be an option to euthanise them. Anyone tried this? There are no fish in this tank and I plan to hoik out any ramshorns fir my main tank but I've nowhere for these bladder snails and I'm too much of a wimp to squash them by hand.
The best treatment I've found for any snails is a product called 'Blue Planet Snail Rid'. It probably has copper sulfate or something similar in it (I can't remember exactly), but it's very quick and easy to use, you treat once, wait a couple weeks for any eggs to hatch, and then treat again.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'll ask locally but I gathered that bladder snails were considered a pest. I really hate to kill anything but I have a feeling we could be overrun
I don't think anyone wants bladder aka pond snails (they're a true pest), I think the other person thought you meant ramshorns.

HairyCatFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anyone with some Loaches or Puffer fish would love to have your problem
Luckily I have both...
What you need to do is find a person or store that needs snail's for their snail eating fish. Place a local ad or post up at your fish store and someone may take them off your hands.

In the meantime, until you have a place for them, pick them out manually and put them in a jar, Tupperware or other container with some tank water to keep them from multiplying in your tank...
Also if your tank doesn't have fish you won't have to worry about being over run by snail's if they don't have anything to eat, so don't feed the tank and they'll die off eventually. Unless of course you have a well established tank with plenty of algae, biofilm and detritus then you can expect to see an explosion.

Keep the lights off and gravel vacuum regularly to remove their food source. I don't recommend poisoning or chemicals and beware of causing a massive die off, the dead and rotting snail's will pollute your tank. I had a massive die off that lead to heavy fish loss as the water quality turned deadly without any warnings.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'll ask around and see if someone would like them as fish food. It's a shame but I can't be doing with a massive explanation of unwanted snails. I'll have to pick through them as there appears to be some rams there but I'm not sure

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I recently moved my blues back into my newly cycled tank and 6 wc minnows. I decided to start them off in a fry net just to be on the safe side but they seemed OK after a couple of days and I liberated them. They went to the bottom of the tank and there they stayed having pulled right back into their shells. They didn't move for days. Tonight I decided return them to the net in the same tank and almost immediately little horns poked out. The fish haven't been bothering them so what gives??

HairyCatFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I recently moved my blues back into my newly cycled tank and 6 wc minnows. I decided to start them off in a fry net just to be on the safe side but they seemed OK after a couple of days and I liberated them. They went to the bottom of the tank and there they stayed having pulled right back into their shells. They didn't move for days. Tonight I decided return them to the net in the same tank and almost immediately little horns poked out. The fish haven't been bothering them so what gives??
It's more than likely something they don't like about the water. Check your PH level it may be too low. If its not also check GH, KH levels in that tank.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I tested KH/GH on 12.06 and it was 15 GH and 5 KH - we are a known hard water area. These two were in the same tank before; I removed them when I put it through a full, fishless cycle so the water quality is better than it was. The tank they've been in isn't half so well set up but if they aren't doing well they'll have to go back in. I was hoping to get shot of the quarantine tank because it isn't as good as the main one but we have an infestation of bladder snails in it which I'm looking to get rid of. I do have a small, hexagonal tank tucked somewhere so once the bladder snails are gone I'll have to set it up nicely so they can live in there.

HairyCatFish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I tested KH/GH on 12.06 and it was 15 GH and 5 KH - we are a known hard water area. These two were in the same tank before; I removed them when I put it through a full, fishless cycle so the water quality is better than it was. The tank they've been in isn't half so well set up but if they aren't doing well they'll have to go back in. I was hoping to get shot of the quarantine tank because it isn't as good as the main one but we have an infestation of bladder snails in it which I'm looking to get rid of. I do have a small, hexagonal tank tucked somewhere so once the bladder snails are gone I'll have to set it up nicely so they can live in there.
Just to be safe check your tanks PH... I just went through a PH crash and PH levels were down to 5, possibly lower since 5 is the lowest my tester can read. Also KH and GH were 0.
My tap water is 6.8-7 KH and GH normally between 7-13, but even with regular water changes the PH in the tank never went up. I thought nothing of it and this went on for a prolonged period. One of the signs were snail's laying on the gravel not moving for days.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Check out this ramshorn! I found him at a local lake where there is an infestation of ramshorns and had to bring him home cause he was so beautiful, my sucky camera doesn't do him justice
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Check out this ramshorn! I found him at a local lake where there is an infestation of ramshorns and had to bring him home cause he was so beautiful, my sucky camera doesn't do him justiceView attachment 568471View attachment 568472 View attachment 568473View attachment 568474 View attachment 568475View attachment 568476
Nice. Almost looks like an endangered magnificent ramshorn! I could be wrong, but the little lines/shell ridges made me think of them, but I'm not sure how to tell them apart (we don't have them here in Australia, and they're extremely rare where they do come from).

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I sometimes have this same problem with new snails too lol, they do amazing in a little breeder box, let them out and they stay in their shells, don't move, rarely eat and some die, even though it's exactly the same water they've been happily living in.. I have no explanation for it lol, other than they must be sensitive to new surroundings or get 'stressed', if that's even possible for snails lol. I just leave them, eventually you'll get a couple egg sacks, even if some of the originals die off, the babies will be fine and take over. Interestingly though, when I have a lot to sell and move a heap into a white bucket with nothing except fresh treated tap water, and food (usually veggies), water changed every day or every second day, they do fine! (except for some shell corrosion after a while if they take a while to sell). It makes no sense, but I suspect maybe the build up of sludge in the gravel might be what they're not happy about? That's all I can think of, as the breeder box (or net in your case), is at the top of the tank, away from the gravel.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nice. Almost looks like an endangered magnificent ramshorn! I could be wrong, but the little lines/shell ridges made me think of them, but I'm not sure how to tell them apart (we don't have them here in Australia, and they're extremely rare where they do come from).
Wow, I didn't know that was a special kind, I thought all the ridges were just their shell forming weird, most of my ramshorns are like that.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I attempted to reintroduce my ramshorns to the 'big' tank today. As far as I could manage the water parameters were close but they both pulled the heads in, tipped over and shut up shop. I can't keep fetching them in and out can I? I'm braced to set up another minor tank if need be but that's gonna be a bit of a logistical nightmare.

Be glad of any advice

Shellback

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been fighting these **** ramshorn snails for over a year now and I am ready to give up fishkeeping. My first snail came as a hitchhiker on the first plant that I ever bought. The snails have completely taken over my 30gal tank and recently I am seeing some in my 10 gal tank. I even bought 2 different Fluval gravel cleaners so I wouldn't transfer snails from one tank to the other. I've heard that Assasin snails will control them, but I can't find any Assasin snails. :banghead:

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm making attempt no 3 to move my blue boys from the gulag into their nice new tank with the minnows. The water parameters are more or less equal, pH matched etc. They spent their first night in a fry net and seemed OK. I liberated them next day to an almost immediate temper tantrum. Both retreated in to their shells and stayed put. They are both still with the living as I see the occasional antenna sticking out but they are obviously not impressed. I don't want to keep moving them back and forth but how long dare I wait before biting the bullet and giving up on the plan to move them? And if I have to move them out and set up a permanent home do I have to go through a full cycle?? The quarantine tank is so spartan because it was only intended for a short stay.

LittleBlueGuppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have been fighting these ramshorn snails for over a year now and I am ready to give up fishkeeping. My first snail came as a hitchhiker on the first plant that I ever bought. The snails have completely taken over my 30gal tank and recently I am seeing some in my 10 gal tank. I even bought 2 different Fluval gravel cleaners so I wouldn't transfer snails from one tank to the other. I've heard that Assasin snails will control them, but I can't find any Assasin snails. :banghead:
I don’t think this is a ramshorn “appreciation” thread anymore.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom