Ramshorn Snail Appreciation Thread

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi, I've just newly discovered this thread. Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes ramshorn snails.

My blues have just produced their first youngsters and I'm ridiculously pleased. I made them some snello which they seem to like but I'm wondering how on earth to handle the snails without coming to grief. I'm due to move the adults back to mynewly cycled tank and I want to avoid disaster.

I loved the blues but I didn't know there was such a rainbow of colour choice

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm having a panic! Monday night I moved my two adult blue ramshorns from their quarantine tank where they'd been living while I cycled the main tank. The move seemed to go well but I got home tonight and found them at the bottom, not moving. The only other occupants of the tank are a clutch of 6 WC minnows which were also new on Monday afternoon. Any ideas? These are the first snails I've had so I'm a bit at a loss - they were doing so well.

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm having a panic! Monday night I moved my two adult blue ramshorns from their quarantine tank where they'd been living while I cycled the main tank. The move seemed to go well but I got home tonight and found them at the bottom, not moving. The only other occupants of the tank are a clutch of 6 WC minnows which were also new on Monday afternoon. Any ideas? These are the first snails I've had so I'm a bit at a loss - they were doing so well.
I'm not too sure but the minnows may be picking on them? Some fish do. Or there may be something they're not liking with your water parameters?, you can try taking them out and just putting in a small container with fresh treated tap water (change the water daily and they'll be fine, even in a tiny container, just feed pellets and/or veggies), until you work out what's going on with the tank water or something in the tank. I once had something like a small piece of Texas Holey rock which was killing them, still no idea why but they seemed to be eating it as well. They're not normally fussy at all with water conditions, but occasionally the oddest thing can affect them, it's figuring out what that can be the tricky part, but my guess is the fish may be harassing them. You could try feeding them a bit extra to keep them busy if that's the case.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They've been in a separate tank while I was cycling the main one and there is the same stuff as before regarding decor. Moving them back to the small tank is an option but I'd like to make it a bit nicer. Its well spartan with no gravel and little to make it nice. Any suggestions?

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They've been in a separate tank while I was cycling the main one and there is the same stuff as before regarding decor. Moving them back to the small tank is an option but I'd like to make it a bit nicer. Its well spartan with no gravel and little to make it nice. Any suggestions?
Not sure, is the tank definitely cycled? Maybe give it a bit longer or do a 50% water change and see if they start moving about?

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sadly it appears to be too late for my two. They haven't moved in days and one of them has begun to turn white which is not good.

The tank has been cycled thoroughly nearly 2 months worth. They had been rather busy making baby snails - there's about 40 tiny things now.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm relieved to say I got home yesterday and both my blues seem fine. I decided to hoik them out of the tank into a separate container as recommended. I didn't want them to have expired and pollute the tank. I put a wafer in just in case, got in last night and one was halfway up the side of the glass, the other was waggling his antennae at me. I have returned them to what is obviously now going to be the 'snail tank' at least temporarily.

Any recommendations for me if I decide to attempt to reintroduce them to the big tank? I recently purchased a fry keeper and I wondered if I should pop them in that initially.

SnailsGalore

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want those kinds of snails, and fish store will happily give them to you at no cost, from what I've seen.
I’ll second that. I am trying to get to my 50 posts so I can give away the crazy amount of extra snails that exploded in population. Mostly ramshorn and mystery snails. It was so much fun to watch them hatch and grow, and now it’s time for them to leave the nest!

allllien

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm relieved to say I got home yesterday and both my blues seem fine. I decided to hoik them out of the tank into a separate container as recommended. I didn't want them to have expired and pollute the tank. I put a wafer in just in case, got in last night and one was halfway up the side of the glass, the other was waggling his antennae at me. I have returned them to what is obviously now going to be the 'snail tank' at least temporarily.

Any recommendations for me if I decide to attempt to reintroduce them to the big tank? I recently purchased a fry keeper and I wondered if I should pop them in that initially.
It's funny that you mention that, I recently had some new pinks in a breeding box, and they were doing amazing in there -growing really fast and laying heaps of eggs. I was feeding them shrimp pellets mostly. They were just in the breeding trap while I removed the other baby red and brown snails from that tank. I've nearly got rid of them all, so released the new pinks out into the main tank. The weird thing is, they started acting like yours -laying on the bottom and not really moving. I thought it could be a temperature thing as the main tank would be colder than the small breeding box. I left them be as it's the same water (although I had just done my usual large water change). A few days later, and they've been moving about, but not as much as normal. I think possibly sometimes they just get really sensitive to a new environment for no apparent reason.

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was cleaning out some uneaten food earlier and found this little chap. He doesn't appear to be a ramshorn. Can anyone advise me whar he might be? He possibly parachuted in on the plants I put in.
IMG_20190605_222356.jpg
b

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I was cleaning out some uneaten food earlier and found this little chap. He doesn't appear to be a ramshorn. Can anyone advise me whar he might be? He possibly parachuted in on the plants I put in. View attachment 562967 b
Looks like a bladder snail. Can become a problem by overpopulation soon.

Sad to report my last ramshorn died yesterday sigh...

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Sad to report my last ramshorn died yesterday sigh...
I'm sorry to hear that. It's weird how these little things develop such characters.

It must have come in on a plant or something. These are in a quarantine tank fortunately. I hate killing things but I don't want too many of anything

DixieFish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yay! More Ramshorn lovers! Sure wasn't expecting to see this when I joined.

I LOVE these guys! I always wanted to grow a big one like I use to see in pet stores when I was a kid but could never get them to thrive in my community tank. Now, years later when my local store no longer deliberately supplies them, I'm getting them to grow like crazy!

I had to go to ten different fish stores in a 70 mile radius to get just 8 tiny leopard rams. No joke! Took 'em home, dumped 'em unceremoniously in a cycling tank completely expecting them to die and... none did! Come to find out they LOVE my hard water and my bad habit of over-feeding my fish, lol!

Two turned out to be blues, which I isolated and bred, and the second generation has some strong leopard patterning against a silvery opaque shell. I can't wait to see what they'll look like in another month.

Here is a great pic of one of my original browns. I'm working on raising up a few more like him, too, or maybe darker. (Still tryingbto get a good pic of the blues.)

Eventually I'm wanting the whole color collection of rams... My hubby and I have already thought of some fun "snail apartment" tanks, lol.
IMG_20190605_215907.jpg

Nefersmum

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
With reference to my earlier bladder snail problem I gather copper sulfate might be an option to euthanise them. Anyone tried this? There are no fish in this tank and I plan to hoik out any ramshorns fir my main tank but I've nowhere for these bladder snails and I'm too much of a wimp to squash them by hand.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom