Ramshorn Snail Appreciation Thread

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ramshorns are the best I love them

I want them in every tank I have. They look so neat and they're always movin around and they can randomly show up in all sorts of wild colors and patterns

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I currently have 2 in my tank (hitchhikers). When others appear they go into my other tank with my assassins.
z0Z1mE1.jpg

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh man that’s a nice one there. He looks huge!

max h

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I got a few as hitch hikers. Do they reproduce really fast? They look really nice so far in my betta tank.
They can reproduce really fast as long as there's a good food source. I'm waiting for them to show up in the new tank since I have put a lot of plants in it. That way the Zebra Loaches have a real job to do, and they get a dietary supplement.

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My son’s betta tank has 2 and they don’t reproduce because it doesn’t have enough light to grow algae and I don’t over feed the betta. In my jarrariums they breed like mad because I want them to, and I over feed them on purpose. The population seems stable on my 20 gallon, and they’re struggling to reproduce in my shrimp tank because ghost shrimp like to snack on the eggs

I have this really neat spotted gold strain that started popping up lately, so I'm gonna breed them. I'm currently working out a way to build a plywood breeding tank for them so I can isolate colors I want to refine.

IMG_20180910_160826.jpg

WTFish?

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have this really neat spotted gold strain that started popping up lately, so I'm gonna breed them. I'm currently working out a way to build a plywood breeding tank for them so I can isolate colors I want to refine.

View attachment 477306
The two I have had that opaque, spotted appearance then they got super dull.

oOBlueOo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Those are my next favorite after bladder snails. I also have one of those huge nickle sized ones that I got from a pond.

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah, I think all "pest" snails are asexual, so they can reproduce by themselves. They'll be genetic clones of themselves, so if you want some variety, you might go grab another one from your LFS. I'd think they'll just give it to you. You can get some cool ones like pink and blue

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
BLEH! I thought the few I had were cool until they turned into a hundred or more. Now I drop some lettuce in the tank a few times a month at night, take the snail covered lettuce out in the morning and feed them to the birds!

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
All they eat are excess food from around the tank though. If you don't overfeed, they shouldn't get that way, at least not from my understanding. It's early yet, we'll see how that theory actually pans out lol

Or do you mean you get the tiny ones that never get bigger than like 1-2mm? Because those things multiply like crazy and are definitely a pain. I don't think those are true ramshorn snails

toeknee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have the big ones. They certainly don't harm anything I just don't like having soooooo many. I dont mind having 10-20 in my tank. My tank is 4 years old, is super heavily planted and there's sections that's almost impossible to get to to do thorough cleaning so there's always always stuff for them to feed on. I only feed 2-3 times a week and only enough that the fish eat everything in 2-3 minutes. In an effort to cut back on the snails a while back I did a major cleaning and only fed my fish 3 times in a month. In desperation the snails began eating pinholes in the thinner leaf plants, and new growth leaves. I know the pinholes in leaves weren't plant nutrient dificiency because the pinholes only showed up after trying to starve the snails, after a few months after the major tank cleaning and resuming normal fish feeding schedule the pinholes went away. Fishlore members told me time and time again ramshorns don't eat plants, but I beg to differ. I've been battling these guys for years now. When the population is in control they're very beneficial to tanks....just need to keep that population under control!

PonzLL

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you want those kinds of snails, and fish store will happily give them to you at no cost, from what I've seen.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom