Ramshorn shells turning white

Guppy777

Just started noticing that the shells on the larger snails are turning white ish. Dont see any other damage, none have died. They share tanks with guppies in a 10 gallon and guppies and cherry shrimp in a 20 gallon

StarGirl

Do you happen to know what your pH GH and KH are? Snails shells will turn white and pit in soft water. The Guppies don't like it much either.

Guppy777

Ph is 7.2-7.4
KH is 3-4
Gh is 5-6
Have not noticed any pits, just the large ones are white ish, smaller ones are normal colors.

jtjgg

KH is a bit on the softer side.

Pfrozen

your GH is too low for ramshorns. KH is fine. Up your GH to 8-10

Guppy777

Debbie1986

wondershell works really well in my experience

i tried crushed coral and saw no difference long term

snello with calcium supplement

I also use a ph buffer - I have too, the shells get too fragile if not done.

try feeding crab cuisine a few times a week.

I live in South, and my water is super soft.

My large tanks do not do well for snail shells, but 10 and 20 gallons do. I finally gave up and moved my remaining 2 mystery snails into a 20 gallon this weekend. The 38 gallon is just too hard to do it (keep shells healthy) for some reason. Ramshorns in 20 gallons are perfect, but in the 38 gallon they get white and pitted over time.

Guppy777

Thanks for the help, will order some wonder shell. I see small and large size, which do you use ?

Pfrozen

Crushed coral is for KH and wonder shell will take awhile to raise your GH. Your GH is currently way too low, even if you feed lots of calcium rich foods. You're better off using Seachem Equilibrium for now. You can stop using it after the wonder shell starts dissolving

FishDin

I have the same problem and essentially the same perameters. Pond snails in one tank turn white and die before full maturity. Rams horns in another tank do the same. The tanks are doing very well otherwise, so I haven't tried changing anything.

Guppy777

Another question, once I start trying to raise my GH, how slow should I try to raise it ? Keep in mind I got guppys and cherry shrimp.

Pfrozen

Raising it from 6 to 8 shouldn't cause any issues. I wouldn't raise it more than 2 degrees though

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
  • Question
  • FishKeeper332
  • Snails
Replies
Views
FishKeeper332
  • Question