Ramshorn, FW limpet or something else?

Yeoy

Howdy y'all,

So I got a tank off a friend about a month ago and it has some critters living in it. I originally thought they were snails but someone else told me they were freshwater limpets (which I didn't know existed) and the photos online do look like them.

It was hard to get a good photo, but from the side they do look like a ramshorn (curve in the shell, mouth, 2 visible antenna) - but it also looks a lot like a limpet. None of them have gotten any bigger than about half a grain of rice when pressed up against the glass. There are also some tiny little fast critters on the glass which could be some sort of water flea/seed shrimp/copepods etc... but I'm not worried about them. Possibly juvie limpets?

The main reason I DON'T think it's a ramshorn is there is absolutely no adults in the tank. I moved the tank one month ago and sieved the substrate thoroughly to remove other things and got no ramshorn. Have been leaving algae-wagers/veggies out and no snails have gathered. I kept ramshorn previously in a lot of tanks and absolutely no adults in there.

I have removed 5-10 a day for the last month of these critters, so I'd be surprised if they are ramshorn as I don't think there could be a continuous supply of babies without any adults breeding. I'm OK if they are limpets, I doubt I'll be able to remove them all so will just monitor the levels and feed accordingly.

It's currently a shrimp only tank (RCS) but I'll be adding either CPDs or blue-eyes in the next 2 weeks, which I think/hope might peck at them.

Also sorry the pic is kinda low quality, hard to focus on them with the phone camera!

Critter.jpg

grac3

Definitely a ramshorn, maybe some eggs on a plant/deco hatched? It also looks like you have limpets, though it's blurry so I can't really tell.

Upvote 0

Yeoy

Definitely a ramshorn, maybe some eggs on a plant/deco hatched? It also looks like you have limpets, though it's blurry so I can't really tell.
I did consider that maybe I had both in the tank :/ I know it's not the end of the world but I'd rather only have one type of creature. I don't mind some clean-up crew in the tank but I don't want this particular tank to have ramshorns in it. Guess I'll just keep up with removing the ones I see and hope I get all the ramshorns.

I have no idea how big they need to get before they breed, but I hope I catch them in time.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

I've had some tiny Ramshorn Snails that look like yours.

Mine did reach pest proportions.

The only thing that worked for me was adding 4 Assassin Snails.

The Assassin Snails have been in there for 2 years now.

I'd say they ate all the Ramshorn Snails in around 6 months.

The Assassin Snails have not become too numerous in my aquarium which is a 40g planted cube.

20.01.08 Assassin Snail Clea helena Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.jpg

Upvote 0

richiep

Those are dwarf ramshorn, easily identified by the shell,it always lies flat as to ontop with your normal ramshorn
No matter how much you clean any tank Detritus, Copeapods, seedshrimp,limpets,along with dwarf ramshorn will always appear

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I've had some tiny Ramshorn Snails that look like yours.

Mine did reach pest proportions.

The only thing that worked for me was adding 4 Assassin Snails.

The Assassin Snails have been in there for 2 years now.

I'd say they ate all the Ramshorn Snails in around 6 months.

The Assassin Snails have not become too numerous in my aquarium which is a 40g planted cube.

20.01.08 Assassin Snail Clea helena Cube Aquarium Steve Joul.jpg
Unfortunately the ol' Assassin snail is still illegal in Australia (afaik) and I'd worry about my shrimp too! But thank you.

Those are dwarf ramshorn, easily identified by the shell,it always lies flat as to ontop with your normal ramshorn
No matter how much you clean any tank Detritus, Copeapods, seedshrimp,limpets,along with dwarf ramshorn will always appear
Thank you. I can't find much specific info online about dwarf ramshorn. Do you know what size they breed? I'm probably going to leave them for now and hope the CPDs go hunting for them.

Upvote 0

richiep

They will breed at that size as they don't grow much bigger, in my tanks I find they are not as prolific as other snails but if I see them multiplying I just vack them off the glass
This is how dwarf ramshorn look on the glass, I've blown this one a bit, generally adult assissan will not eat them as they are to small but baby assissan will, crush them on the glass and its very nutritional for cpd

Attachments

• IMG_1211.JPG
    IMG_1211.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 0

Yeoy

They will breed at that size as they don't grow much bigger, in my tanks I find they are not as prolific as other snails but if I see them multiplying I just vack them off the glass
This is how dwarf ramshorn look on the glass, I've blown this one a bit, generally adult assissan will not eat them as they are to small but baby assissan will, crush them on the glass and its very nutritional for cpd
So the size of the little white blob on the glass is the size they breed at? Makes them hard to remove....

I definitely preferred ramshorn to either bladder, pond or MTS - better looking and less explosion-y. I crush a few anyway and the shrimp usually find them almost straight away. At least it gives me something else to look at until I get fish in the tank.

Upvote 0

richiep

They seem to appear at that size and that's it, even if I leave them multiply they don't get any bigger, I like them in a tank along with assissans but I stay away from other snails, although we can get mystery snails in the uk they are band from being sold

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The one looks like a limpet. Does it look like this?

20210725_133413.jpg

Upvote 0

Yeoy

The one looks like a limpet. Does it look like this?

20210725_133413.jpg
Yep which is why I thought maybe I had both. Had no idea the dwarf/translucent form of ramshorn existed which is why I thought it must be limpets. There's probably no way to ever know 100% as some don't have any discernable head/mouth/antenna like the snails do, but it could just be due to size etc...

Upvote 0

richiep

Again I find limpets don't over run a tank and are a good addition

Upvote 0

StarGirl

The limpets don't seem to breed as prolifically as the others. Or as fast. I have them in my 5g and I don't see them very often.

Upvote 0

richiep

They don't have antenna or feelers ether

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I'd just never heard/seen of them before under the common aquaria critters - my mate got some plants from various dubious sources so assuming it brought all kindsa with it.

Upvote 0

richiep

Some of my shrimp tanks have not had anything new added for a couple of years yet these things have a knack of showing up

Upvote 0

Yeoy

I'm assuming it's also possible things come in on tap-water even though it's got chlorine etc... in it. Or potentially could have spores/eggs that come in on dried or frozen foods that potentially survive the packaging process too.

Upvote 0

richiep

Although some tap water dose have safe bugs in I use ro water so with me the culprit is food

Upvote 0

Nomofish

I believe anisus vortex is the "mini ramshorn" you're referring to. I have them too and they stay super small.

Upvote 0

richiep

I believe anisus vortex is the "mini ramshorn" you're referring to. I have them too and they stay super small.
I didn't know that was the true name thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • BadhbhCatha
  • Snails
Replies
Views
BadhbhCatha
Replies
Views
mattgirl