Ramshorn Baby Snails - How Long Should I Give It?

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I moved three of my ramshorn babies into a big jar with tankwater from their intended home with some grub. They were cruising around well enough so I put them into the main tank with a little courgette. They shot off like rockets and I though YAY we've cracked it.

However they have now gone to ground, not moving with only the occasional waggle of an antennae to give hint they are still with the living.

I know they are 'only' snails but I really don't want them to keel over. How long should I leave it before giving up and returning them to Snail Towers?

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Several ramshorns of varying ages and quite a few bladder snails - Invaders on Another Plant.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
Nefersmum I can send you subwassertang and jarva moss I'm in Bedford
That is very kind of you! Let me know what I owe you.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
richie.p said:
If you want to pay for them you don't get them
Is that fair
That is very kind of you.

As regards the snails I have just removed them back to the snail tank. They'd been in the big one 48 hours with barely a move. This is the third lot of snails I've tried with and obviously there's something wrong. It is very odd since the only difference is in temp - the snail tank is something like 0.5 degree warmer than the main one. Everything else is the same.

It's doubly annoying because my first clutch of snails went into the tank without a single problem and with hindsight the tank wasn't anywhere near cycled then. They were buzzing round happy as larry. I moved them out while I did a fishless cycle and since then none of my snails have thrived in there. V odd.

richiep

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No doubt you've checked all your perameters,? Is it possible something is leaching into the water making it uncomfortable for snails

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's the only thing I can think although I can't imagine what. The water parameters of both tanks are similar, the fish in the main tank are healthy but something is bothering the snails.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Other than the standard Prime and - so far - one does of Flourish, no. I don't like using too many additives so I'm always cautious.

Having returned the snails back to the smaller tank they shot off like rockets so there's obviously something in the bigger tank that doesn't suit. I just can't think what it might be.

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Here's the tank as of today - I've just added in a couple of new plants which aren't yet in the right place.

As far as the testing goes I use NT Labs kit, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates, PH, KH and GH.

The minnow tank readings were Ammonia 0 / Nitrite 0 / nitrate 10 / PH 7 that was on 19.08

The snail tank was Ammonia 0.2 / nitrite 0 / nitrate 10 / PH 7 also on 19.08. I did a water change on 20.08 in the snail tank.

Attachments

OP
Nefersmum

Nefersmum

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It did. The fern is lovely. I had boiled some aquarium stones yesterday to sterilise them so I used cotton to attach them. They look really nice. Thanks

New Threads